PDA

View Full Version : R.i.p.

caryrae
04-25-2011, 07:58 PM
I saw on the news today that.......this is just to hard to talk about but the last company left in the world still making typewriters has shut down.

faline
04-25-2011, 08:00 PM
It is, in truth, obsolete technology. Strange, though, but I just thought in the last day or two that I couldn't remember the last time I'd used a typewriter!

Bethis26fan
04-25-2011, 08:35 PM
i have to use one at work a few times a month and hate it.

Ed
04-26-2011, 07:20 AM
A few years ago, we were having a yard sale, and one of the items we were selling was a portable electric typewriter. A teenager looked at it and asked his mother "where's the monitor?"

Nowadays, there's more demand for buggy whips than for typewriters.

Ian
04-26-2011, 11:10 AM
Funny this should come up now, but I was digging in my closet last night looking for something and stumbled upon some papers and stuff from the Stone Age (aka when Ian was in elementary school).

I turned to DW and kinda laughed and said, "Look ... this was done on an actual typewriter." My kids looked up and me and were like, "What's a typewriter???" :confused:

Good riddance if you ask me. I always hated having to type term papers and stuff. What a mess with the white out and correction tape and all that. Blech! Give me MS Word any day!

Melanie
04-26-2011, 12:29 PM
My kids looked up and me and were like, "What's a typewriter???" :confused:

Yep, my kids were the same way. I'm trying to remember, but we were somewhere recently and saw one and they had no idea what it was. They were actually fascinated as to how it worked (I'm talking the pre-electric ones).

meldan98
04-26-2011, 07:10 PM
I remember when I was a kid and my mom would break out the typewriter and would type up our weekly standing sheets for bowling. It was a big, bulky metal monster with the old fashion seperated keys. I actually learned how to type on that thing. You had to learn quickly or else you were likely to get a finger injury if you missed a key.

Dopey's Girl
04-26-2011, 07:45 PM
We still have one at work that I have to use from time to time. It reminds me of HS typing class, which I hated! The noise is the worst!

Along with the "where's the monitor" comment. I was at a used bookstore this weekend. There was a kid (maybe 12) looking at the records. I overheard him ask his mom why the cd's in the store looked so funny. I about died laughing until I realized the record he was looking at was one I had as a very young kid. Then I just felt old!

PirateLover
04-27-2011, 12:59 AM
We were lucky enough to get in on PC technology early and had a primitive word processor from sometime in the early 90s Still, I can remember having my mom help my brother and I type some reports in our earlier years. I loved the thing, actually. I thought it was so fun to hear the ding and push it back over. But definitely time consuming. I can remember my mom getting so frustrated with making a mistake.

Do they still make rotary phones? We held out on that until at least the mid 90s as well. I remember I wanted to enter Nickelodeon contests as a child but not being able to because we needed a "touch tone" phone!

ETA: It's driving me nuts that I can't remember the processor program. This was from the days of DOS. I think the computer screen was either black with yellow writing or green writing, and the word processor program itself maybe had a blue background with white writing? I spent many a day writing a princess fairytale story on it when I was a young girl.

Ian
04-29-2011, 03:13 PM
ETA: It's driving me nuts that I can't remember the processor program. This was from the days of DOS. I think the computer screen was either black with yellow writing or green writing, and the word processor program itself maybe had a blue background with white writing? I spent many a day writing a princess fairytale story on it when I was a young girl.Most likely it would have been Word Perfect.

magicalmom
05-01-2011, 11:07 PM
Most likely it would have been Word Perfect.

Maybe WordStar? (Mid 1980s)

DizneyFreak2002
05-01-2011, 11:52 PM
My condolences to the typewriter... Wait, what's a typewriter???

Dsnygirl
05-02-2011, 04:43 AM
I remember when I was a kid and my mom would break out the typewriter and would type up our weekly standing sheets for bowling. It was a big, bulky metal monster with the old fashion seperated keys. I actually learned how to type on that thing. You had to learn quickly or else you were likely to get a finger injury if you missed a key.

Ditto... i learned to type on the same kind, a big, black metal thing with fabric ribbon... round, black keys you had to press WAY down.... but boy am I a fast typist now!!! :D

(anyone seen the spoof on YouTube about a mom going back to work late in life?? It's hilarious, only about 5 seconds long... she's typing away at her computer, forgets and reaches up to sling the typewriter bar over and knocks her monitor off the desk... you should google it, it's TOO funny. Well, to those at least 40 years old, I guess.... :blush:)

Disney-4-Me
05-02-2011, 09:26 PM
In our high school typing class there were three electric typewriters that the fastest typists in the class got to use. Unfortunately, I wasn't one of them!

I always felt like I had bruised fingertips!