PDA

View Full Version : August crowds

jake
04-25-2011, 11:52 AM
Can anyone tell me what the crowds will be like the last 2 weeks of Augus? I know the schools will be back in session for most of the country.

Thanks. YACHT CLUB HERE WE COME!!!!

alpro2
04-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Historically the crowd levels drop off a bit during this time. Also (as of now), WDW has not offered Free Dining (they have been offering this for the past 8 years) which may reduce the crowds at bit as well.

PopPhan
04-25-2011, 01:15 PM
Historically the crowd levels drop off a bit during this time. Also (as of now), WDW has not offered Free Dining (they have been offering this for the past 8 years) which may reduce the crowds at bit as well.

They actually offered the Free DDP as a bounceback offer last year, for those returning most of this year, but that offer ran out in December. Since it is now late in April and they have not offered it for the August/September timeframe, it's probably NOT going to happen as a general offer this year.

We were hoping that since this was the case, they would decide to open it up later in the year - Oct/Nov timeframe. We're not betting on it, though.

MarkC
04-25-2011, 02:24 PM
Each week in August gets better and better as more people return to school. Its still hot but the crowds are very manageable by the 2nd week of August and low by the last week. Enjoy.

Disney-4-Me
04-25-2011, 03:43 PM
We used to always go during the 3rd week of August until our school started coming back earlier and earlier. we now start back to school during the 2nd week of August.

I think the end of August is a great time to go. We used to like the smaller crowds and off-season prices.

magicalmom
04-28-2011, 06:51 PM
We have generally gone in late August. For some reason, there are always a lot of British tourists then, which is great for us, as DH was born in the UK. We meet the nicest people in the queues!

Crowds generally not too bad, using FastPasses intelligently lets you do pretty much everything you want to do. It rains pretty much every afternoon, and it's also hurricane season - I have a photo of the Cinderella castle with Hurricane Katrina (then still a Cat. 1) in the background!

DisneyMom12
04-28-2011, 08:54 PM
They just released free dining for Disney Visa members for Aug 28-Sept 24, and I'm sure they will open it up to everyone as well. I usually go in Aug and fine the crowds manageable.

PopPhan
04-29-2011, 09:53 AM
WOW! Color me surprised. I would never have thought that they would open up a "Free DDP" offer so far into the 180 day time frame.

Now I will have to get DW to take some time off in September......

disneymom15
04-29-2011, 11:04 AM
End of August is a great time to go. I like the heat, so it doesn't bother me at all. Crowds are on the lower side, so little wait time for rides.

motherof4
04-29-2011, 07:40 PM
last two weeks in august is a great time to go we go every year at this time. The heat is intense but the crowds arent bad at all. we have gone on rides with no lines.even rockn rollercoaster had only a five min wait.

timberho
05-01-2011, 08:28 AM
Just so you know, they offered free dining starting aug 20 last year (we got it so I know) so it wasn't just a bounceback offer. Once they discontinued the free ddp at the end of December there have been a few random offers with the most recent being to the disney visa card members BUT they started this one for the week after (Aug. 28) which means the rooms are booked enough that week before to warrant not offering it up. That being said, we are going the same time as you(not as long) Aug 22-29 and the crowd levels are predicted to be in the range of 4-6 (out of 10) so they should be very manageable. Park hours are still relatively long so it should be pretty solid.

Fastpasssteve
05-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Sweaty.