PDA

View Full Version : Cheerleaders?

Basket Mommy
04-25-2011, 10:32 AM
We're heading down to WDW on Sunday, May 1. A friend who lives there just told me that there is a cheerleader world competition there this weekend. Does anyone know about this? I'm always so careful to plan around the Pop Warner stuff. It never occurred to me to check for May.

Nothing I can do about it now, but knowing where they might be will help, I guess!

faline
04-25-2011, 10:39 AM
According to the events schedule at Wide World of Sports, there is a cheerleading and dance competition this weekend.

Cheerleading and Dance Worlds Championship
Apr 29 – May 1, 2011
The 2011 Cheerleading and Dance Worlds™ returns to ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex at the WALT DISNEY WORLD® Resort. The weekend competition will include national all star cheerleading and dance teams and international teams. Cheerleading competitors will include junior, senior, international open, limited coed and coed categories. Dance team categories will include; jazz, hip hop and pom.

paragon
04-25-2011, 12:27 PM
We ran into this two years ago, while we were staying at an All Star resort. ( i don't remember if it was Sports or Movies though ). My son was with us, and he was 16 then. ( lucky him!! ). We noticed the cheerleaders at the food court upon our arrival. They were EXTREMELY well behaved, and didn't cause any disturbances or disruptions. It didn't bother us at all that they were there, they appeared to be gruped together in one building, which was next to ours. There was no excessive noise, only giggles on occasion. I wouldn't worry about it.

meldan98
04-25-2011, 12:57 PM
We went once during Pop Warner and another time during a cheerleading competition and we only saw them a couple of times in the parks. We had talked to one guest who was staying at the same all-star hotel and they said the pool and food court were really busy.

The only negative thing we encountered was during our trip with the cheerleaders. I guess there was some performance at Epcot and after the performance they were free to roam the park. I guess for some reason they all ended up at the ride in Mexico at the same time and 1000 cheering and screaming girls in that small indoor queue area was a bit unbearable. Okay, maybe it wasn't 1000, but when they are all cheering, screaming and singing all at once, it sure seemed like it. We were at Epcot the rest of the day and never encountered anything else like that the rest of the day.

MarkC
04-25-2011, 03:38 PM
I took my son and a friend when they were about 15, and I had to drag them away from the pool to go to the parks. What a surprise.

Other than that we noticed no issues with them. Its like a tour group-- if you see them going to a ride, go the other direction. But a lot of times they are in competitions so they're not in the parks that often.

Dopey's Girl
04-25-2011, 07:04 PM
I didn't have trouble@ the parks or @ WL last year, but the year before @ Pop, I had to call the front desk. At like midnight there were herds of girls in and out of the room next to us, and more running up and down the stairs screaming and cheering. I'm all for people having fun, but after 12, when I was trying to sleep, I was annoyed!

Basket Mommy
04-25-2011, 11:10 PM
Thanks. We arrive May 1, which is the same day the competition ends. Plus, we're at BLT and not a value, so we probably won't even see them.

I have been there during Pop Warner week, though, and have made an effort to avoid their week since that time. They were everywhere.