PDA

View Full Version : When to Redeem Disney Visa Points

BelleBeauty
04-25-2011, 09:15 AM
I've had my Disney Visa forever but have never redeemed the points. The first batch are set to expire in August and our trip is not until November. Should I redeem for a gift card in July for everything that I have and then another one in October? How long does it usually take to get the card in the mail? Or should I redeem in July and then redeem a card on-site once we arrive (I think you can do this in DTD right?) Any suggestion/ help would be appreciated. We've been saving them up for DH first trip and I don't want lose any!

PopPhan
04-25-2011, 10:15 AM
If you have points that are going to expire shortly, and have a trip coming before the end of NEXT year (2012,) I would make sure to redeem them (have them put on a NEW Rewards Card) before they expire (say, sometime in July, to be safe) It normally takes 7 - 14 days to receive the card, once ordered.

The Rewards Card will be valid until the end of December of the year FOLLOWING the calendar year in which you get it.

The only concern you might have is that, once the card expires, any remaining balance on the card is lost. That said, if you know you will not use all your credits on the trip(s) you will make prior to the card expiring, only put the expiring points on the card. You can always "reload" the card at various places in WDW if need be.

btharvey
04-25-2011, 10:21 AM
Yes, the balancing point is when you will use them up, and when the rewards card expires.

When it's getting sort of close when you plan to use them (the card's good for at least a year, I believe), go ahead and order the card with the minimum points added (10, I believe). You can add points almost instantly once you have the card.

If it's easy to go online and add points, put fewer points on the card. If not, more.

Remember that the points are not just good at resorts and such but are also good for online shopping (A 'Pluto' robe was a very thankfully-received purchase, as I recall).

It is essentially a 'dated' gift card that can be reloaded but does have an expiration date.

disneymom15
04-25-2011, 10:22 AM
The only concern you might have is that, once the card expires, any remaining balance on the card is lost. That said, if you know you will not use all your credits on the trip(s) you will make prior to the card expiring, only put the expiring points on the card. You can always "reload" the card at various places in WDW if need be.

That's how I would do it also.

brownie
04-25-2011, 10:46 AM
It takes a couple weeks to get the card.

I would transfer enough points to cover what will expire going up to your trip month, and leave the bulk of your points un-transferred until your trip.

You don't really need a second card. Add your additional points to your existing card which you can do online.

I like to wait to add most of my points until I need them in case anything changes. In your case, you want to make sure you don't lose any of your expiring points.

Ms. Mode
04-25-2011, 11:06 AM
Yes to what Brownie said, because even though the card you've transfered the points to doesn't expire the points themselves will!

Don't forget you can use them at your local Disney Store or at the online store! :thumbsup:

BelleBeauty
04-25-2011, 11:39 AM
Thanks everyone! I think we aren't going to have a problem using most of my points on dining while we are there. (Fingers crossed that free dining miraculously shows up though!) I will get a card for the points expiring soon and look to add more when we are there. :mickey:

Scott C
04-25-2011, 04:38 PM
Um -- this is even easier than you guys are making it out to be. We always order a card with the minimum number of points on it - I believe that it is $20. After we arrive at WDW we just call the 800 number on the back of the card to transfer the balance. No need to go online or no need to go to guest relations. My wife is always paranoid that something will happen at the last minute and we would have to cancel our plans.

In the OP's case--they should just go ahead and order a card to use the points that are getting ready to expire.

Thanks

Scott C

BelleBeauty
04-26-2011, 09:15 AM
Scott C - thanks - that makes it WAY easier. I will definitely do that! :mickey: