PDA

View Full Version : Dining Alone

ransam
04-22-2011, 11:17 AM
I am taking a trip alone in September. Anyone have a suggestion what would be a nice place to dine alone? Do any of the resturants have WIFI?
What places do you think would be friendly or maybe a place i won't stick out.

thank you.

wdwluv
04-22-2011, 11:48 AM
I am in the same boat, but in just 3 weeks! I hear that there is a nice quiet area behind the Japanese restaurant. I plan to check that out. I am eager to hear everyone's input too!

faline
04-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Biergarten in Epcot and Teppan Edo each feature group dining where you are seated with other guests at communal tables. Those might be nice options.

You can order meals at the bar at these locations:
The Wave at the Contemporary
Jiko at the Animal Kingdom
Tune In Lounge at Disney Studios.

(I'm sure there are other locations as well but these come to mind at the moment.)

If I'm dining alone, I typically bring something to read with me and very clearly just ask for a table for 1.

I'm sure any of the quick service spots would also be good for someone dining alone.

Fastpasssteve
04-22-2011, 04:10 PM
While small, seemingly romantic restaurants might not sound like the best place for one, I often feel more out of place in large-group, loud and festive venues.

I would feel more comfortable at:
The California Grill
Jiko
Kona Cafe
The Brown Derby

Whereas louder, more festive places would make me feel more alone...places like:
1900 Park Fare
'Ohana
Cape May Clam Bake
Hoop De Doo Revue

Now, I would make an exception for Boma because the food is just too good to pass up, alone or with others.

A book always looks like you're trying to cover up for being alone. Forget that. You are a paying customer and a citizen of the universe: you deserve your own space, your own place.

Now...You could bring maps of the parks so you could plan your next day's activities.
Enjoy your time.

wildernesslady
04-22-2011, 04:34 PM
I'm going on my first solo trip in May. These are great suggestions. I was thinking of just doing CS, but I may try a TS also.

faline
04-22-2011, 05:34 PM
A book always looks like you're trying to cover up for being alone. Forget that. You are a paying customer and a citizen of the universe: you deserve your own space, your own place.

I'm NEVER trying to cover up being alone. In fact, having a chance to be alone is sometimes a treat. I do enjoy reading and often don't get as much time to read as I'd like. I LIKE reading while dining alone and ALWAYS feel like like I have my own space.

Scott C
04-22-2011, 05:36 PM
Wife and I had a great time at the bar at the Portobello Yacht Club(DD) with their meatball sandwiches - I would think that would be fun alone also

Thanks
Scott C

magicofdisney
04-23-2011, 08:02 AM
I'm going alone in May and will be trying my first solo TS. I've decided on Kona Cafe at the Polynesian, for breakfast. :)

JPL
04-23-2011, 01:16 PM
You can eat at the bar at Yak & Yeti or Rainforest Cafe. I have done Yak & Yeti a few times :thumbsup:

drhama
04-23-2011, 03:50 PM
My mom and I sat next to a very nice woman from New Jersey dining alone at Le Cellier. Ended up talking to her through the whole meal. Saw her again at the airport a few days later. She was at the gate right next to ours.
Here it is five years later and I still think about her. Regret not sharing email addresses or something at the time. Maybe we will find each other again on Intercot
If she were with a group, we probably would not have struck up a conversation.

Dopey's Girl
04-23-2011, 09:36 PM
My last solo trip I ate at a few T'S places alone, and never felt strange! I ate at liberty tree tavern (lunch), le cellier (lunch) and sci fi (early dinner), and had a great time! The waitress at Sci Fi was super cute! She brought me a cupcake (like they do for b-days) with 'happy alone time!' written on the plate. She thought it was so fun that I was solo! It was really sweet!

AXOAlum
04-23-2011, 10:26 PM
Now, I would make an exception for Boma because the food is just too good to pass up, alone or with others.

:ditto: This was the first thought that came to mind!

I'm NEVER trying to cover up being alone. In fact, having a chance to be alone is sometimes a treat. I do enjoy reading and often don't get as much time to read as I'd like. I LIKE reading while dining alone and ALWAYS feel like like I have my own space.

:ditto: As a stay-at-home-mom, I savor any piece of time that allows me to read a page or two of a book that doesn't have pictures and rhyming words lol! I think dining at the world alone and reading = :cloud9:

To the OP - what about the Flying Fish Cafe at the Boardwalk? Mom & Dad ate there and it became their most favorite place (topping Jiko & Le Cellier). It may have the best of both worlds - more entertaining than a buffet but less than a dinner show like Hoop de Doo.

goofygirl67
04-24-2011, 09:30 AM
I go alone all the time. While I don't plan to eat at TS much anymore I will if I can walk in. When I do go to TS I like Sci-Fi and Mama Melrose in DHS. LeCelier or Rose and Crown in EPCOT. T-Rex and RFC in DTD and RFC in AK.

awaggett
04-24-2011, 01:17 PM
I travel to Orlando a bunch for work and try to have dinner one night a trip at Disney--alone most times. I really enjoy the bars at Cali Grill and The Flying Fish. I seem to go to those most often. I've also eaten at Kona Cafe and Artist Point. Sometimes I read, sometimes I talk to folks, sometimes I just veg out! Have fun!

jimsgal05
04-26-2011, 09:42 AM
hey good for you going alone..I did had the best time when I did WDW by myself. All the cast members were wonderful , I loved Coral reef... I had a cast member ask if I wanted him to sit with me after his shift... I said no but thanks!!!

I ate at 50's dinner and people next to me said "come on cousin join us"..I thought that was funny as heck I did they were great bunch of woman... as for wifi I couldn't answer that..I just have my cell phone... and I have a blast doing whatever whenever...enjoy your time...:mickey:

TracyL
04-26-2011, 02:44 PM
I'm not aware of anyplace that has Wi-Fi -- definitely nowhere in the parks and generally not in the resorts either except the extra-cost in your room.

All of the above were great suggestions -- I'd definitely do Kona Cafe by myself (or with anyone who cared to join me).

Of course, if for any meal you'd rather have company, drop me a line! I'm on my own this year while DH is on an internship in Canada, and I'd be glad to keep you company if I'm not otherwise booked! :D

magicalmom
04-28-2011, 07:59 PM
DD#1 is starting college next fall, so I guess that's why I'm starting to consider a solo trip - when the time comes, I will try to eat at places from which I can see the MK fireworks or IllumiNations.