PDA

View Full Version : Which GPS to buy?

TheVBs
04-21-2011, 04:05 PM
We drive to most of our vacation destinations, Disney every two years and someplace new in between. DH has a GPS on his Blackberry, but it doesn't hold a charge for a whole day, even plugged in. We want to buy a GPS. What would you guys recommend or warn us away from?

Strmchsr
04-21-2011, 04:59 PM
I've had a TomTom and a Garmin. While I like the POI's on the TomTom the best, I definitely like the Garmin Nuvis in terms of accuracy and overall features. As for which Nuvi, doesn't really matter. The higher the price, the more features. Just check them out and see which features you actually need and go with that model. Accuracy on directions will be the same across the models.

TheVBs
04-21-2011, 05:03 PM
POIs would be great, but accuracy would be much better! Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look into those!

Strmchsr
04-21-2011, 05:54 PM
POIs would be great, but accuracy would be much better! Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look into those!

Garmen has plenty of POI's, too. The difference, that I liked better with TomTom, is that on the TomTom little icons would pop up as you're driving down the road. So, if I'm approaching an exit and see a food place i want to stop at, I could pull off with nothing else done. With the Garmin, I actually have to hit the button to search for a nearby POI. It's not a big deal, just something small. And, as I mentioned, I've found the maps with Garmin to be more accurate and up to date than with the TomTom. For instance, my street still isn't on the TomTom, even though it's been there 3 years. The Garmin had it a year and a half ago.

faline
04-21-2011, 06:55 PM
I've had a Garmin Nuvi for the last couple of years and like it very much!

Jillirose
04-21-2011, 07:04 PM
Had both and like both. The most recent is a Tom Tom and it is annoying in that there is no external volume control - you have to tap the screen and change on screen or go into the preferences screen and select volume and adjust. VERY dangerous to do while driving! I like the Garmin for the good old fashion volume knob.

faline
04-21-2011, 07:06 PM
I like the Garmin for the good old fashion volume knob.

I don't have a volume knob on my Garmin. I need to tap through the screen to increase or decrease volume.

DizneyRox
04-21-2011, 08:26 PM
I use my iPhone with Navigon Mobile Navigator. I don't need a GPS all the time, and not sure when I'll need it, so having it on my phone is great. They update it fairly often, so maps stay pretty recent from my experience.

I don't like having devices all over the place. The screen is a little small, but it's fine. Can't complain really.

I know a few people who tried the separate device route and have problems. Mostly the devices stop working for sone reason, I'll bet it's just abuse, but my phone has been ticking for years now.

BrerGnat
04-22-2011, 11:01 AM
I use my iPhone with Navigon Mobile Navigator. I don't need a GPS all the time, and not sure when I'll need it, so having it on my phone is great. They update it fairly often, so maps stay pretty recent from my experience.

I've wondered about this. When you use a phone as a GPS, does it "talk"?

Also, does anyone have experience using AT&T Navigator with a smart phone (NOT an iphone)?

We are in the market for a GPS unit as well, since we're moving to a new part of the country in a couple months, and we are TOTALLY unfamiliar with the area. Plus, we plan to take some road trips since there's lots to see within driving distance.

We're about to get a Garmin Nuvi, but also have the option of AT&T Navigator through our phones (don't want to purchase an app, since we don't want to lose it if we switch phones in the future).

DizneyRox
04-22-2011, 12:49 PM
Yes, I can talk and navigate at the same time, but I tend to stay off the phone if I don't know where I'm going because I don't need to be confused further..

Not sure about AT&T Navigator, only had the iPhone. As far a apps go, once you have a iPhone, chances are you're not going to go back. I'm not that worried about investing in apps. Well, it's not a deal breaker that is.

magicofdisney
04-22-2011, 01:25 PM
My vote is for Garmin. My mom has a Magellan and as for user-friendliness, Garmin wins, hands down.

magicofdisney
04-22-2011, 01:27 PM
My iPhone came with Google Maps. On occasion it's worked better than my car GPS.

BrerGnat
04-22-2011, 02:19 PM
Yes, I can talk and navigate at the same time, but I tend to stay off the phone if I don't know where I'm going because I don't need to be confused further..

Not sure about AT&T Navigator, only had the iPhone. As far a apps go, once you have a iPhone, chances are you're not going to go back. I'm not that worried about investing in apps. Well, it's not a deal breaker that is.

I meant, does it speak the directions to you. Not if you can talk on the phone at the same time. Sorry, should have clarified.

And, we will NEVER get iphones. I have a major issue with the way Apple does business, plus I HATE iTunes. I have an ipod touch, and that's the last Apple product I'll ever own. We are happy with our Palm Pre and Windows 7 phones. I also have Google maps on my phone, which I use quite often, but only works well if you know where you are going. If you get lost, it doesn't really help that much.

DizneyRox
04-22-2011, 04:48 PM
Yes, it's turn by turn with voice notification, recalculates directions if you miss a turn, etc. It really is fantastic. TomTom also has an app, at least for the iPhone.

I just picked up an Android tablet, and I'm experimenting with GPS on it. I'm not all that impressed with the GPS offerings from the Market. Google Maps is OK I guess, but I don't like to have to DL maps as I'm travelling. I would rather they be there.

I agree with you on Apple, however they do build a good phone. The only time I use iTunes is to upgrade my firmware before jailbreaking it. I was hoping that this Android device would be able to pull me away from having to get another iPhone, but Android I don't think is ready for primetime. Maybe it's just the tablets, maybe it's because I want to do more than text and talk, I don't know. Maybe Honeycomb will fix the problems...

magicofdisney
04-22-2011, 09:44 PM
Google Maps is OK I guess, but I don't like to have to DL maps as I'm travelling. I would rather they be there.

What do you mean by DL the maps? Either I don't understand or I don't have the same app. I just tell it to locate me and then give me directions to where I'm going. Or, I'll give it 2 locations and see where those are compared to my current location.

TheVBs
04-23-2011, 07:59 AM
DH's phone speaks the directions too.

He had one person say they preferred the Magellan because you can just type in the address instead of inputting it one piece of info at a time, like state, then city, etc. I don't mind either way on that as long as, overall, I have something that's accurate and easy to use.

DizneyRox
04-23-2011, 09:21 AM
What do you mean by DL the maps? Either I don't understand or I don't have the same app. I just tell it to locate me and then give me directions to where I'm going. Or, I'll give it 2 locations and see where those are compared to my current location.
For the most part, Google Maps requires a data connection to navigate. It gets directions by sending the locations to Google, and as you travel it downloads the area maps to display on the screen. I've seen programs that feature "Google Maps downloader" and can only assume that it will download the necessary maps for you but I'm just guessing. Never played around with them.

The advantages of this are you are usually working with the most recent maps available. The downside is, you can eat through your dataplan in no time. Also, if you don't have cell service in an area, you're out of luck.

As mentioned, I use Navigot MobileNavigator. It's a 1.5 gigabyte install, but doesn't require a data connection while travelling. Maps are stored as part of the program.

How you enter directions is what I've found the biggest different between different programs. This is another plus to my phone version. My contacts are stored on the phone with their addresses. I can just select a contact and the navigation finds directions.

Ultimately, everyone needs to find what works for them. Unfortunately, they aren't the type of device that you can easily find what works through trial and error. That can get expensive...

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-23-2011, 09:44 PM
I vote for a Garmin. And a lot of the newer ones have lifetime map updates for free.

kakn7294
04-23-2011, 11:35 PM
We have a Magellan and like it very much. Ours came with a free traffic cable which is usually an upgrade. It gets us where we want to go and have only had a problem with it once when it insisted that we travel a route to Pittsburgh's Children's Hospital over a bridge that was closed at the time. It's been very accurate around WDW.

baldburke
04-24-2011, 10:05 PM
And, we will NEVER get iphones. I have a major issue with the way Apple does business, plus I HATE iTunes. I have an ipod touch, and that's the last Apple product I'll ever own. We are happy with our Palm Pre and Windows 7 phones.

Wow, sounds like something for the tech boards!

Anyway, those that say smart phone, regardless of brand, are right. Most have GPS apps that will replace traditional GPS units. This and point and shoot cameras. Why pay $150 to $200 for each device when you can get all three in one?

caryrae
04-25-2011, 08:11 PM
One I have been using that has been a round a couple years is the Nuvi 1690 which has a cell chip in it so you can use stuff like Google local search for looking for poi's which is much better then relying on the installed poi's which can be way out of date. You can also get weather info, movie info, traffic, gas prices, flight status, plus more. It's called nuLink and comes free for 2 years with the 1690. There is also a newer version the nuLink 1695 which has a few new features plus a bigger screen but only comes with 1 year of nuLink service.

I have an iPhone 4 but much prefer to use a gps instead of the phone for a gps myself.

magicofdisney
04-25-2011, 09:34 PM
For the most part, Google Maps requires a data connection to navigate. It gets directions by sending the locations to Google, and as you travel it downloads the area maps to display on the screen. I've seen programs that feature "Google Maps downloader" and can only assume that it will download the necessary maps for you but I'm just guessing. Never played around with them.

The advantages of this are you are usually working with the most recent maps available. The downside is, you can eat through your dataplan in no time. Also, if you don't have cell service in an area, you're out of luck.
A point I failed to recognize, probably because I've used it for such short periods.

I guess I never thought about the source of the information (in the clouds vs on the phone).

As mentioned, I use Navigot MobileNavigator. It's a 1.5 gigabyte install, but doesn't require a data connection while travelling. Maps are stored as part of the program.

How you enter directions is what I've found the biggest different between different programs. This is another plus to my phone version. My contacts are stored on the phone with their addresses. I can just select a contact and the navigation finds directions.

Ultimately, everyone needs to find what works for them. Unfortunately, they aren't the type of device that you can easily find what works through trial and error. That can get expensive...
I think I'll look more into this.