PDA

View Full Version : Dining Plan for a 3-year old?

IloveJack
04-21-2011, 10:28 AM
It's not likely that my DD will eat much when we go next summer, as she's a tiny pixie (not picky, just doesn't eat a lot of anything). In fact, when we go out to eat, she gets her own drink and then shares our meals the majority of the time. However, I know that if we choose the basic DP, she has to have it, since she'll be on our reservation.
I assume that we'll have to "pay" for her at a buffet or a family-style meal, since she'll be 3. However, if we eat at a TS/QS place that serves individually, can she share from our plates and then bank her credits? And can we order a kid's meal for ourselves if we're not that hungry with those banked credits? I'm not worried about paying $11.99 daily for her to have the BDP, as one character meal will cover that. But I hate to waste the food. And I know that we'll probably have one more QS meal planned than we have credits for. We can deal with a kids-sized meal for that, if needed, and if "legal."
Sorry if this is confusing. Thanks for the info!

The Hitchhiking Ghost
04-21-2011, 11:03 AM
I think the answer is basically "yes" to all.

The basic DDP will track your TS credits by adult and child, CS credits I believe are lumped in as one. Children must (if they are using a credit) eat of the children's menu when available.

We have 3 DD (ages 4-6-8) and when we were donw there in December we rarely used the same number of credits as there were people. Because of the amount of food we learned to use some of the credits for breakfast and share and then do the same again for lunch.

I don't see why your DD wouldn't be able to eat off your plate, the exception being if it was a buffet. If you find you have extra TS for your three year old you can always use them to replace CS for breakfast or lunch. Not necessarily the best use of them, but better than not using them at all.

Unfortunately you cannot use your DD TS credits for yourself, that's a no-no.

megustamex
04-21-2011, 12:24 PM
Yes, you can bank the credits. Sometimes my husband and I would share a CS meal at lunch so we didn't fill up for our TS dinner. We ended up with a lot of extra kids CS and TS at the end of the trip. You can convert the extra kids TS into kids CS. We found the best place to use up extra kids CS was at the Main Street Bakery. They got an Uncrustables sandwich and a pastry for their CS meal!

Hammer
04-21-2011, 02:50 PM
Moderator Alert !!

Just a reminder that posts which promote "cheating the system" will be deleted. Disney policy is that children 3 and over must be paid for at buffet and family style meals.

megustamex
04-21-2011, 04:49 PM
She does mention that she knows she he'll have to pay at a buffet or family-style restaurant.

"I assume that we'll have to "pay" for her at a buffet or a family-style meal, since she'll be 3." No one has told her to do otherwise.

lighteningqueen
04-21-2011, 06:32 PM
I get what they are saying. I think 3 is too young to start paying for a plan. We have 2 grandchildren that we order plates for at home when we go out to eat and they eat nothing off that plate.. huge waste of food. That age is going thru many things and food is not a must at that age for them We worry they do not eat enough to stay alive but when they get upwards of 4 and more they begin to eat again.. She is just wanting to know if they can save those credits for later use.. Yes you can. You can save them all for one day ha ha its up to you. But not at Buffets.. You will have to use one there for sure no matter if she eats or not. I noticed at the Disneyland menus they have toddler sized meals for about $2.00 cheaper than a childs menu. WE NEED THIS AT WDW... badley.. We have 3 under 3 and it would be a great deal to many familys to have that choice for non waste of food and money with thrown out food.

BrerGnat
04-21-2011, 08:07 PM
I wouldn't recommend the dining plan in your situation.

Instead, do ONE character meal buffet (do a breakfast...they are cheaper), and then just share your food with her the rest of the time. You'll probably come out ahead by paying out of pocket.

Also, 3 year olds don't necessarily want to be dragged around to ADRs all vacation. Not having the plan allows you much more flexibility.

Mickey'sGirl
04-21-2011, 08:33 PM
I absolutely agree with Natalie. I would definitely not go with the dining plan in your case. It sounds like a waste of food and money.

TheRustyScupper
04-21-2011, 09:18 PM
However, if we eat at a TS/QS place that serves individually, can she share from our plates and then bank her credits?
. . . absolutely
. . . of course, not at all-you-can-eat places

And can we order a kid's meal for ourselves if we're not that hungry with those banked credits?
. . . no
. . . if you are an adult, you are charged an adult credit at TS

KylesMom
04-21-2011, 10:31 PM
She does mention that she knows she he'll have to pay at a buffet or family-style restaurant.

"I assume that we'll have to "pay" for her at a buffet or a family-style meal, since she'll be 3." No one has told her to do otherwise.

Actually someone did post an inappropriate solution on how to get around her problem by cheating the system, which you didn't see - it was not the originator of the question, but by someone offering advice. The post was deleted and a warning was posted.

IloveJack
04-23-2011, 08:00 PM
I don't intend to cheat the system. And yes, I saw the <snip> post before it was deleted. Really, if Disney pays any attention at all, they'll know she's 3. She's in their system already and has been at 1 and 2 years old. So obviously, when we go a year and a half later, she should show up as 3. Either way, it's not a lesson I want to teach her.

But back to the real point... Ok, so at QS meals, she can eat from our plate without using a kids credit. Can we, later in the week, use those banked credits for another QS meal without buying an adult meal? And basically us share her food? Sorry that didn't come across as clear the first time.

lighteningqueen
04-23-2011, 08:36 PM
Yes, You paid for them you can use them any way you see fit.. Obviously when you checked in and also bought the plan or got it free, you would have to have an adult with the child so therefore you had to buy or receive a meal for an adult as well. You can save them all up and at the end of your stay eat yourself to death on the last day...If you don't use them by the end of your check out day you just loose them. But if it were my grandkids which they will not eat their meals most of the time so why buy them or use the credits I would cash them in on breakfast at the resort for adults or whoever wants to use them in your party.. You are not cheating any one. They are yours upon check in. I get you totally. My grandkids that are almost 2 in June and the other just turned 3 last month do not eat enough to stay alive. My grandaughter has not had food to her lips in more than a week. All she wants is milk right now and otherwise we just waste our time and money trying to make her eat. Sometimes this forum really bashes people who like me cannot word things like we mean to type or say. I stayed away for many months until now because I worded something that sounded like I was trying to cheat the system about Christmas parties and those who paid..Very bitter posters some times..