PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone still collect pins?

BellesRose
04-20-2011, 07:17 PM
I know they aren't as popular as they used to be, but it seems like no one really buys pins anymore. I rarely see kids wearing them anymore, and I only saw one trading on the last trip. I used to just turn around and see them everywhere, but I actually had to ask around for them on my last trip because they weren't selling them nearly as much, and when I did find them, they had just a few.

Does anyone still collect? If not, did you sell your pins or do you still have them?

DisneyMom12
04-20-2011, 08:36 PM
My family still collects pins. My DS 3 is getting his first starter set in his Easter basket. I usually buy a lot of pins from ebay before I get there for trading, and then I usually buy a few I really like when I am there.

DizneyRox
04-20-2011, 10:07 PM
I stopped when Disney flooded the market with them looking fire a quick buck. I still have them, I want to sell them but haven't gotten around to checking prices to maximize my profit.

I'm guessing I have a few good ones (pin traders and such) but mostly nothing worth more than putting them in the recycling bin.

kakn7294
04-21-2011, 08:34 AM
My family still collects as well. I stick mostly to Ariel and special events. DH likes Haunted Mansion pins. My kids will collect pretty much anything!

KylesMom
04-21-2011, 10:43 AM
We "collect" pins each trip - maybe 15-17 nice ones - and then place them in a shadow box to display in our Disney room each year. We've tried the lanyard/trading thing in the past, but it never quite worked for us. We're content to purchase the pins we love (A/P, LE, etc) & keep them for ourselves. :mickey:

Ms. Mode
04-22-2011, 08:57 PM
My family just started pin trading in Jan 2010...we LOVE it!

We (read "I") have also spent a small fortune on them in the past 4 months getting ready for our upcoming trip.

The sellers are just loving me and my credit card.:blush:

TracyL
04-26-2011, 03:17 PM
I'm a die-hard pin girl, and will likely be so until the whole thing dies completely (whereupon pins will be rare and wonderful again just like they were 15 years ago when I got my first one!)

jjramsey
04-27-2011, 08:34 AM
We still collect pins. Over the last 8 years, we have found some really good ones that we decided to sell and have financed the rest of our collection (3000+ pins). I think that we will be slowing down a bit, but still enjoy it. Otherwise it hits the wallet a bit hard :blush:

Probably the best time we had was a 1 month vacation at Disney World where we could concentrate on collecting, rather than just trying to rush the rides into a limited time :mickey:

Ramblingman
04-28-2011, 12:35 PM
We collect them and trade when we are at DW. I wind up wearing the lanyard and doing most of the trading but I know which pins DW and DD want most. It's the thrill of the hunt for me.

We keep an album where we keep our keepers. I just purchased a bunch through ebay in preparation for our trip in 3 weeks and the DW and DD are sorting them out, pulling the trading pins out and getting the lanyards ready for me.

There is a trading night on 20 May at the Contemporary and I plan on being there and hopefully picking up a few good ones they want.

catkrazy
05-03-2011, 07:58 PM
I have to admit I haven't kept up with it in the past 6 years but I did get some pins for my newphew when we went for his 1st birthday trip last year. His parents got him his first lanyard with 2010 on it. Hopefully it will be something he can enjoy for alot of trips to Disney.

mook3y
05-04-2011, 09:28 AM
Our family loves pin trading.

Last year, we set out on a mission to find the A - Z pin set. The kids (7 & 5 then) were going out of their way to find all the pins we needed.

They had a blast!

We use the pins as "rewards" prior to our trip. If they do all of their chores without being told, they get a couple pins a week that they can use to trade for whatever they want.

We have a couple of books and a trading bag that are full and we are looking forward to trading again this fall!

Disney4us2
05-04-2011, 02:22 PM
We did a lot of trading during our spring break trip. I found a lot of the Orange Bird pins. That turned out to be my hunt. My friend was on a Tigger hunt.

Disney4Fun
05-25-2011, 11:14 AM
We're still collecting pins and own about 2,500but our newest obsession is Vinylmations!

crltkcagle
08-28-2011, 10:22 PM
We still collect pin and love it!

WDW&MK
09-22-2011, 10:51 PM
Just back and wanted to say that I noticed more adults with lanyards on this trip than I have in the last several years! I was thrilled to see that!! :thumbsup:

BrowncatP
10-29-2011, 04:50 PM
If you think that NO one is collecting pins, just look at the price of the 'I was there 4oth anniversary" pin on Ebay. The $12.95 pin is going for 50 and higher.

faline
10-29-2011, 05:39 PM
Never did collect them. I have some that date back as far as when Disney was doing a celebration and giving them away as you came through the turnstyles but never went out of my way to purchase any or collect any.

Hair_Razor
10-29-2011, 05:59 PM
My DH and I have from every trip that represents each trip. My kids trade they love it!

Renfairwedding
10-29-2011, 07:53 PM
We love to trade. Its not just the pins. Its a great way to meet and talk with CM's and other Disney guests. I always have a few on my lanyard to give way to first timer kids with the promise they find and trade it with for a better one from a CM,

Who knows if they actually trade but be enjoy the interaction and the reactions.

:tink:

tinxmom
10-30-2011, 07:59 AM
I agree! We trade evrytime we go. Best part for my kids is the interaction with the CM's. I also buy a bunch cheap on eBay before we go so each kid has a bunch to trade away without worrying about parting with a true fave. It's interesting to see what each of my kids ends up collecting on each trip. We leave home "treasured" collections from previous trips so nothing gets traded away aciidentally. One of the biggest excitements before we go on a trip is to divide up the new pins tha I get them to trade away! Taking a friend and his adopted son (from the Ukraine) for their first trip to WDW - bought him a bag of 25 to trade with! My kids were soooo excited to tell him about the whole trading thing.

Zippy 1
05-07-2012, 11:16 PM
We collect! We have all the framed pin sets from MVMCP except 1. We also collected all the carosoul pins. My DD 18 collects all the stitch. We are always on the look out when we are there to add to our collections. My DH thinks he wants to start collecting the MNSSHP framed pin sets. I don't know we are almost out of wall space!

PlutoToo
05-09-2012, 07:24 PM
We still chase Pluto pins.... and enjoy them while we're home.

minnie04
05-10-2012, 01:37 PM
We started one year and really never stayed with it. I usually forget to take them when we go. I also bought the ones I like and I don't want to trade them. When we are there I think "man I should have brought them for the kids to trade" but of course I forgot again :(

texas211
05-10-2012, 08:07 PM
Don't really trade, just buy new ones... The wife buys tons of them, according to my credit card statement.

Kairi_7378
05-10-2012, 08:44 PM
We buy a few on each trip. During our last trip, we bought a set of Haunted Mansion pins where the stretch room portraits are done with Disney characters. I like all of the details on many of them and try to buy one that represents a part of our trip that was special.
I've never traded a pin.

i'm grumpy
05-11-2012, 09:09 PM
We liked to trade but everyone seems to have the same unwanted ones. And buying them, some have become quite expensive.

Minnie97
06-08-2012, 03:16 PM
I absolutly LOVE trading
my favorites are chip and dale sets
but i also love princess sets
we always trade pins everytime we go its very addicting.
My favorite set is the chip and dale ice cream set:mickey:

Alpha Jeanie
06-08-2012, 10:58 PM
We just got back from Disney last night. My kids & I bought several pins and my kids traded 4-5 each with cast members. They love to look at all the pins and buy the ones from their favorite rides & attractions. This trip, we left our old lanyards and pins at home and bought new lanyards and added our new pins to them.

Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Da Disney
06-12-2012, 12:19 AM
:mickey: I still collect pins. I'll buy 3-6 each trip and I try to chooese one that represent special memories from the trips.

Christine
07-04-2012, 11:31 AM
I just started about two weeks ago and I'm addicted! Bought some traders on ebay and have a BLAST trading with CMs all over property!

There are so many adorable sets, cute cutouts, etc and I want them all! :blush: Better late than never!

azcavalier
07-06-2012, 04:25 PM
We trade every trip. My kids call my wife "Crazy Pin Lady". Usually, she buys about 300 from ebay before we go, and then trade them all in a week. She usually finds one or two sets that have been released and then spends the rest of the week looking for them.

I, personally, collect Stitch, Jiminy Cricket, Patriotic pins, and the Epcot Flags (in classic Mickey head shape). We made pin boards with cork and crushed velvet stretched over them to display our pins. Each kid has a pin board in their room. My DW has a couple of albums where she keeps them.

I hate my lanyard, so I usually just have a pocket full of pins in my cargo shorts every day we're in the parks. I usually wind up trading all my pins to give to the kids that are with us on the trip.

Wolf
07-09-2012, 10:17 AM
We always take the pins we aren't super attached to and trade them out with CMs, we don't buy alot of them unless they are just really specific to something we love but we still do enjoy trading them alot.

Minnie97
07-28-2012, 02:37 PM
My parents got me a pin bag in 2010 because my lanyard alway bugged me, and I didnt really like it, my brother has stopped collecting but the three of us are going stronglol

mom dragged us all over the parks to find a fairy set with flora fauna and maryweather and the fairygodmother, we searched till the last day and had all but one wich we had seen 3 times before we decided we wanted the set and then couldnt find that one, found it at are hotel on a lst minute back in trip to find it, hahaha she was lucky

iluvdumbo
08-10-2012, 12:45 AM
I love collecting and trading pins! I have a shadowbox in my room (which is unfortunately full and needing another box beside it) where I put all of the pins I do not plan on trading and I only bring the pins that I want to trade with me. I rarely see people trading these days though, which saddens me.

BigRedDad
08-16-2012, 11:49 AM
My DD and DW like to trade pins. As far as collecting, I would say no. They simply trade for something they like and that is about it.

Crow
08-17-2012, 12:03 AM
havent traded any in a few trips and not really buying anymore.
one time i had a lanyard standing in line for a margarita i think and a lady saw one of my pins and said that the character was her fav so i gave it to her.
but i have 2 bulletin boards w pins to mount..or sell.. i guess i was for a while w the Piece of History and some of the AP pins but got away from it.

jnfr2424
09-01-2012, 06:48 AM
Yes I'm a huge fan of the AP pins or the party pins