PDA

View Full Version : How to avoid the 'grumpies'

TikiGoddess
04-20-2011, 03:40 PM
Hi all!

I am having a ball planning our upcoming July trip. Since I'm on vacation this week at home, I've been searching for ideas online about how to 'plus' our trip without spending much money. I've also been pondering something that maybe you all can help me out with.

In every trip there comes a time when the kids are hot (especially in July!) and tired. We will be taking this year's trip much slower than last year, but I also want to be prepared for those non-magical moments.

I was thinking of making up a coupon book so we can pull it out when needed and let them pick something from the book. It could also be something that reinforces good behavior too. Or maybe we could just give them the book at the beginning of the vacation and they could pick and choose when they use them.

So I'm thinking of including things that they could have some control over, like "you choose the next ride", or "you pick a snack". I'd like some of them to be fun, things that will break the tension that inevitably builds up.

Here's what I've come up with so far:

your choice of a ride
buy a snack
your choice of souvenir (under $5)
a free hug and kiss from Daddy
a free hug and kiss from Mommy
a crazy stroller ride
put a piece of ice down Mom's shirt back
put a piece of ice down Dad's shirt back
crazy photo minute
use of Mom's camera to make a video
your choice of a snack from snackpack
your choice of a drink
choice of park in the evening
5 minutes of being in charge
5 minutes listening to mom's ipod
10 minutes of game time on an ipod touch
alone time with Mom
alone time with Dad

Any other ideas?
Kathy

mook3y
04-20-2011, 04:20 PM
go back to resort and swim for 30 minutes.

wdwaggie
04-20-2011, 05:26 PM
Ditto, on our last trip, my DS 5 at the time, got his batteries fully recharged by swimming in the resort pool at CSR. Also, I would avoid a pick the next ride coupon, especially if they pick a ride that has a 2hr wait...

joonyer
04-20-2011, 05:42 PM
On our first family trip to WDW our kids were 9 & 6. We went in early June, it was hot and crowded. Our plan was simple. When the kids got tired and grumpy, we went back to the hotel for a swim and a rest in the cool of our room. That was usually in the mid-afternoon. In the summer there is always at least one park open late, so we would head back out to that park for supper and stay until the kids were ready to quit. (usually park closing). The excitement of being WDW kept them going better than us. We got more tired and grumpy than they did. If they starting complaining about things, we'd just say "OK, we're heading back to the hotel for a break". If they weren't ready for a break, their behavior would have to improve if they wanted to stay in the park. DW and I kept going as long as they were willing and behaved well. That worked fine for us. But after the trip the parents were the ones that were exhausted ! :D
But your coupon idea sound pretty good. You know what will work for your kids best.

brownie
04-20-2011, 08:42 PM
When the kids are hot and tired, it's time for a break. Disconnect from the parks and let them unwind at your resort. Head back to the parks when they're recharged.

mouseketeer mom
04-21-2011, 06:30 AM
Hi Kathy!
Your signature says 5 days of spontaneity and that will make all the difference. We go every summer as well and hot is an understatement. Going to the parks early is key..and just STOPPING in the afternoon. We do this every year. No long drawn out days at all, it'll kill you in July. As soon as we get back to the resort, and I'm not kidding, as soon as we're there, the world looks better to everybody. Plan on making that part of your plan and melt downs by all can hopefully be avoided. Come in to change for dinner after pool/play time and have a refreshed evening in the parks. I bet you'll love it too!

Dsnygirl
04-21-2011, 09:30 AM
:mickey: Hi Kathy!!

We're going in August, so I hear you on the concerns re: the heat and the kids. :crazy: I think your idea book is great... my girls are starting to outgrow that sort of thing, but the idea in and of itself is a terrific one, and one I'm going to try to adapt for our trip!! I agree with Lisa... your signature comment about spontaneity is probably your best defense... when the moods start to go, being willing to change things up and go with the flow will probably work better than anything, esp. since you're willing to let one of the girls do some choosing now & again. :thumbsup:

Have fun planning... we're just starting to... and honestly, I think I'm going to have to make a coupon book for my DH to give to me, as I'm probably the most heat-intolerant of our group!! ;)

KylesMom
04-21-2011, 02:34 PM
Kathy, I couldn't agree more about the suggestions to return to the hotel for a breather. It's a rare event when we don't return to the resort for a break to avoid the very thing you asked about - the dreaded grumpies! I should add that this is not exclusive - DH and I are just as prone to them as DS is!

However, an idea for a coupon is to be able to play in the water fountains for 15 minutes. We actually encourage DS to go get soaked in the squirting fountains and such. It's a real mood improver, not to mention they do cool the kids down. :mickey:

Dsnygirl
04-22-2011, 08:01 PM
However, an idea for a coupon is to be able to play in the water fountains for 15 minutes. We actually encourage DS to go get soaked in the squirting fountains and such. It's a real mood improver, not to mention they do cool the kids down. :mickey:

Oooohhh, I like that one... my girls still love them, and to give them an unlimited spot of time (well, sort-of unlimited... ;)) would probably make them VERY cheery, and actually, would probably benefit my DH and I if we joined it a bit... :thumbsup:

Kisobel
04-24-2011, 04:26 AM
i think i could help Dan with your coupon book.

1. mickey bar
2. mickey bar
3. mickey bar
4. 10min in swiss family robinson treehouse
5. mickey bar

:D
kate

TikiGoddess
04-24-2011, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the ideas, everyone! We always go back to the hotel in the afternoon -- that's built into our plans, as we always go in the summer. Even with the break last year, my then-5 yr old still had some tantrums. We will definitely be taking it more slowly this year and watching her for signs of grumpiness. I'm hoping these coupons will help distract her. She works best with positive feedback.

I made up the coupons this afternoon, in a fit of creativity (and a bout of procrastination -- there's too much else I should be doing...). I'm going to print them, laminate them, and then put them on a ring. Every time they choose to use one, we'll put a sticker on the back of the card to show it's been used.

Kathy

Disney-4-Me
04-25-2011, 11:41 AM
The only time we had problems with our sons getting grumpy when they were little was when we were in the long hot ride lines in the summer. We bought some magnetic chess and checkers games and played those while we were in line. It was better than a video game because we still had interaction and competition.

NewDVCowner
04-25-2011, 12:31 PM
The only time we had problems with our sons getting grumpy when they were little was when we were in the long hot ride lines in the summer. We bought some magnetic chess and checkers games and played those while we were in line. It was better than a video game because we still had interaction and competition.

Along those lines you can also bring cards from Disney Trivial Pursut. Easy to carry, relvent and fun.