PDA

View Full Version : DHS Park Hours May 20, 21, and 22

RBrooksC
04-20-2011, 01:18 PM
Just saw that the park hours for the first weekend of Star Wars Weekends has been extended.

The park will be open from 8 AM until Midnight all three days.

Strmchsr
04-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Not surprising. Between SWW and the grand opening of ST2 it's going to be insane.

KylesMom
04-20-2011, 03:05 PM
I'm really glad to hear they're being proactive and expanding the hours for this timeframe. Star Tours 2.0 has been anticipated for many years, and I would expect that the opening days of Star Wars Weekends this year will bring both local crowds and travelers from afar. I'll be curious to see if they expand the Star Wars Weekends festivities into the night, or if they'll end at the normal time (late afternoon/early evening). :darth:

RBrooksC
04-20-2011, 03:22 PM
My guess is the reason for expanding the time is to allow for the Star Wars activities to extend in the later hours.

I am curious how this weekend will affect the flow of the crowds in the park.

I have been told and I have read that Star Wars Weekend attracts many Star Wars fans but the most crowds are focused on the Star Wars area and the rest of the park is normal attendance.

MOJoe
04-20-2011, 03:59 PM
I arrive in WDW that weekend. Glad to see the additional hours. Also, Monday the 23rd, the park stays open till 10 with EMH going till 1 a.m. The original closing time was 7, with EMH till 10. See you in line for Star Tours 2.0!:cloud9:

MOJoe
04-20-2011, 04:37 PM
I am curious how this weekend will affect the flow of the crowds in the park.

I have been told and I have read that Star Wars Weekend attracts many Star Wars fans but the most crowds are focused on the Star Wars area and the rest of the park is normal attendance.

For the first time, Star Wars will be felt through the entire park. The merchandise area, which is normally along the back of the park, near TSM, this year will be in the Rockin Roller Coaster courtyard. SWW merchandise draws sizable crowds. And with the introduction of the new ride, you can bet there will be hundreds of shoppers wanting commemoritive gear.

Also, the Hyperspace Hoopla, is said to be staged at the Sorcerers Hat. A far larger area compared to the Jedi Training stage. With park hours extended on both ends, Disney obviously is expecting much larger crowds this year.

All this is surely being done to mitigate the crowds lining up for ST2. I have heard speculation of 4 hour lines running all the way back through the Streets of America. Others have put forth that with a ride capacity of over 2200 people per hour, ST2 should not be that backed up. But with the 50+ possible adventures, i'm not buying it. At least not the first weekend.

Even with such expected, long waits at ST2, i'm thinking the rest of the park will not be immune. Take my family for example. I have one son who will want to do nothing but Star Wars related things. Merchandise, autographs, riding Star Tours, meeting characters, ect. He along with his willing dad, can do this all day. But my other son, and his mom, want to experience the other attractions. Sure, there will be lots of fan boys who came with a pal, that will mainly take part in the SW festivities. But there are also many families like mine, who will make the entire park busy.

Hey, just my :twocents: