PDA

View Full Version : Wolfgang Puck Express

SleepinB
04-20-2011, 12:06 AM
The past three trips we have taken to WDW we have stopped by Wolfgang Puck Express in DTD. Each trip I want to try Express because of all of the positive reviews here on Intercot. But each time I walk up to the menu, nothing grabs me. I see pizzas and spaghetti. I enjoy both, but feel I can eat them anywhere, including home. Inevitably, we end up eating somewhere else.

Reading the Dining forums, Wolfgang Puck Express continues to be a favorite CS restaurant. So, I know I am missing something. The next time I am going to stop there come he(double hockey sticks) or highwater. Help me choose items from the menu that will make me realize I have been making a mistake all these years. :mickey:

plien69
04-20-2011, 12:40 AM
Don't let the quotidian pizza, pastas, meatloaf, etc put you off. Wolfgang himself may not be cooking there, but the menu items reflect his style, and are composed with skill.

Since WP practically invented west-coast, California-style gourmet pizza, I recommend one of those. I almost always get the roasted vegetable pizza: zucchini, red onions, broccolini, roasted red peppers, pesto, and fresh buffalo mozzarella make for a really delicious pizza. even his pepperoni pizza is different: it's soppresata and toscana salamis with chiles.

MississippiDisneyFreak
04-20-2011, 07:50 AM
Exactly, its not your run of the mill Disney CS pizza that tastes like a frozen pizza you pick up at the supermarket. Its gourmet California style pizza and you can get their yummy creme brulee for dessert.:eat:

JoF
04-20-2011, 07:51 AM
This is one of our favourites and is the best value for a counter service restaurant.
All the food is good and very generous portions. Give it a go - the standard is a lot higher than average. :mickey:

MadMadamMim
04-20-2011, 08:00 AM
Try the butternut squash soup...completely amazing.

ElenitaB
04-20-2011, 08:48 PM
As is the tortilla soup. :eat:

And if you're ever in DTD in the morning, they have the best breakfasts!

BrerGnat
04-20-2011, 09:19 PM
This place used to be better before they changed the menu. They had these amazing pocket sandwiches...but I digress.

The pizzas are really good. Try to go at an off hour, because it gets crowded in there!

ransam
04-21-2011, 01:15 AM
the rotiserrie chicken is awesome.

Disneyfirsttimer
04-21-2011, 11:14 AM
:ditto:

We love this place! Best CS in WDW in my opinion. Give it a try!

TheDuckRocks
04-21-2011, 11:18 AM
We have really enjoyed the:
Roasted beet salad
Greek salad
Pressed Bistro sandwich
Margherita pizza
Pennette chicken Alfredo
Bacon wrapped meatloaf
Creme brulee
All of which we have been very shareable sizewise.

Jared
04-21-2011, 11:27 AM
Don't let the quotidian pizza, pastas, meatloaf, etc put you off. Wolfgang himself may not be cooking there, but the menu items reflect his style, and are composed with skill.

Since WP practically invented west-coast, California-style gourmet pizza, I recommend one of those. I almost always get the roasted vegetable pizza: zucchini, red onions, broccolini, roasted red peppers, pesto, and fresh buffalo mozzarella make for a really delicious pizza. even his pepperoni pizza is different: it's soppresata and toscana salamis with chiles.
In almost 10 years posting on these boards, this might be my absolute favorite post I've ever read. You used the word "quotidian!" You just won this thread. (And you recommended the roasted vegetable pizza, which is probably my favorite dish at Wolfgang Puck Express.")

SleepinB
04-21-2011, 11:33 AM
In almost 10 years posting on these boards, this might be my absolute favorite post I've ever read. You used the word "quotidian!" You just won this thread.

Ahahahahahahaha

I was thinking the same thing when I read the post. Heck, I could feel my IQ rise 12 points just reading the word "quotidian".
:laughing:

princessgirls
04-21-2011, 01:55 PM
I'm so trying Wolfgang Puck's on our August trip. We have 2 Universal days, but still bought a Disney package so will be on the DDP....DDT is right on the way from Universal to our Disney resort. Sounds like a yummy dinner to me!!

Julie:mickey:

plien69
04-21-2011, 02:13 PM
What's funny is... I don't think I've ever used that word in "conversation" (online or otherwise) before! But somehow it was on my mind, and seemed like the right word to use.

Seriously, as a CS, WPE is a great value. Heck, the same kitchen serves both WPE and WPC in Downtown West. So you're really getting TS food at CS prices!

joonyer
04-21-2011, 02:59 PM
We've tried WP Express at DTD on our last trip. Were on a budget and ordered a medium sized pizza with the rotisserie chicken and 4 drinks. The pizza was very good but the bill was over $57 for the four of us and it came nowhere close to filling us up. We have two teenage boys who wolfed down half the pizza each and could have eaten another whole one each. While it was tasty, I considered it to be very puny on the size, and the meal overall was a very poor value. DW and I got only a small taste of the pizza and a soft drink. We went right to to the Earl of Sandwich and split a two big Ham & Turkey subs between the four of us which filled us up for only about $15.00. We are not big eaters, but it took two meals to feed us that night.

Bottom line: the pizza at WP was tasty, but a very poor value for a counter service restaurant at WDW. We probably won't go back there.

SleepinB
04-21-2011, 05:58 PM
What's funny is... I don't think I've ever used that word in "conversation" (online or otherwise) before! But somehow it was on my mind, and seemed like the right word to use.

However you got there, I am dang impressed. You are my vocabulary hero! :hands::thumbsup:

Jared
04-21-2011, 06:46 PM

Seriously, as a CS, WPE is a great value. Heck, the same kitchen serves both WPE and WPC in Downtown West. So you're really getting TS food at CS prices!
You absolutely used it appropriately. Actually, my first instinct was to see if there was a conceivable situation I could use it in Scrabble!

ElenitaB
04-21-2011, 07:24 PM
While the portions are large, it has always been my understanding that the pizzas are "single serving." We've never had problems getting full at WPE (including my growing teen). However, to each their own. I think the quality of the food is outstanding and plan on going back again and again, with a trip to Earl of Sandwich thrown in to get their awesome veggie sandwich. Of course, now I need to add Fresh-A-Peel and Pollo Campero to the mix. So many restaurants, so few days. :crazy:

CanadaLovesDisney
04-22-2011, 12:07 PM
We love the Mac n cheese and the chinois salad!!! A must do every trip for us!