PDA

View Full Version : T-Rex not our cup of tea

epceddie
04-19-2011, 04:31 PM
My wife and I had lunch at T-Rex last week. It was loud, loud loud, the food was average at best, and the prices made us do a double take. It was a Rainforest Cafe on steroids. Never again!

disneymom15
04-19-2011, 04:55 PM
I agree, its very loud in there. We like the food ok, but its not a must do every trip.

epceddie
04-19-2011, 05:04 PM
Couldn't agree more. We found a place called Sweet Tomatoes in the shopping plaza with the Goodings Supermarket across from DTD. It's in the back on the left and they have a great salad bar, six or seven different soups, breads and pizza, and an ice cream dessert bar. All for under $10 (not including beverage) and they give you a coupon for your next visit.

JenniferS.
04-19-2011, 05:25 PM
If it's loud then that is where my family needs to be. It muffles out my 4 loud kids!! lol

paragon
04-19-2011, 05:27 PM
Agreed, 100% or more!
I was very disappointed with this place. Almost a carbon copy of Rainforest Cafe, only with dinosaurs. Made me think, that when the deal with the Rainforest cafe is up, ( lease, licence or whatever ) that T-rex will be the replacement, especially at AK. I would have thought that Disney would have built this at AK, before they put it in DTD.

gardenia
04-19-2011, 06:25 PM
We went once, never again. Some foreign tourists gawking at the animatronics all but sat on our table, knocked over our plates, and never apologized... it was creepy.

kakn7294
04-19-2011, 07:34 PM
We went last year. It was loud, food was okay. I'm glad we went because we did want to see it but now that we've gone, it's at the bottom of the list because there are so many other places we haven't hit yet.

mom2morgan
04-19-2011, 08:12 PM
We went once, never again. Some foreign tourists gawking at the animatronics all but sat on our table, knocked over our plates, and never apologized... it was creepy.

LOL - wondering how you know they were "foreign". I'm one of them foreign tourists from Canada and wondering if I stick out, eh? ;-)

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-19-2011, 09:03 PM
I'm one of them foreign tourists from Canada and wondering if I stick out, eh? ;-)

Us Canadians always stick out ... with our double-doubles from Tim's.

But, back on the topic ... we also found T-Rex to be "blah", it was fine, the food was fine, but I didn't love and we haven't been back!

Polynesian Dweller
04-19-2011, 10:38 PM
Agreed, 100% or more!
I was very disappointed with this place. Almost a carbon copy of Rainforest Cafe, only with dinosaurs. Made me think, that when the deal with the Rainforest cafe is up, ( lease, licence or whatever ) that T-rex will be the replacement, especially at AK. I would have thought that Disney would have built this at AK, before they put it in DTD.

Rainforest and T-Rex are owned and operated by Landry's Restaurants. Can't blame Disney for where it is located. Landry's would have decided that DTD was they wanted to operate thus restaurant. And they also own Yak and Yeti in AK. Just cause it's in Disney doesn't make it Disney.

NJGIRL
04-20-2011, 09:10 AM
Couldn't agree more. We found a place called Sweet Tomatoes in the shopping plaza with the Goodings Supermarket across from DTD. It's in the back on the left and they have a great salad bar, six or seven different soups, breads and pizza, and an ice cream dessert bar. All for under $10 (not including beverage) and they give you a coupon for your next visit.

This sounds great! I want to try this on our next trip. The kids enjoyed T-Rex so we are going again but I do agree it is very loud!

lettripp
04-20-2011, 09:22 AM
I had a really bad experience at T-Rex last year. I never complain at restaurants, but I couldn't finish my food because the overwhelming balsamic vinegar taste was making me sick :ill:. My mom ordered the same thing as me and the dressing was just sprinkled on hers... mine was covered in huge gobs of the stuff. The waitress came by and saw how little I had eaten, and that I was eating off of everyone else's' plates and she asked what was wrong. I swallowed my pride and told her I couldn't stomach the flavor and she took the food off our bill. I don't plan on going back there... but regardless of my food tasting so bad, the service was good.

twinboyz
04-20-2011, 02:13 PM
We ate here on our last trip in August of 2010. We walked right in no ressies. The service was good, but it was very crowded. Cool animitronics and the boys(Age 12) loved it. It was a bit pricy, but we wanted to experience it just once. We went for appetizers and milk shakes. The food was ok, but nothing special.

I agree, there were people walking all over facinated by the atmosphere. :noway:We probably won't go back.

hubbyofadisneyholic
04-20-2011, 09:47 PM
Wow...are we the only ones that enjoyed T-Rex??

We went in January 2010 and without ADRs had a less than 5 minute wait at mid-afternoon.
Yes, it was noisy, but we expect noisy at WDW.

Yes, it was pricey, but the portions were huge. We took our leftovers back to Kidani and reheated them that evening for dinner.

Food quality? We weren't expecting a 5***** dining experience; and it wasn't . But it was tasty and hot. Way better than Rainforest in my book.

Would definitely do it again.

KylesMom
04-20-2011, 10:30 PM
Wow...are we the only ones that enjoyed T-Rex??

Yes, it was pricey, but the portions were huge.
Food quality? We weren't expecting a 5***** dining experience; and it wasn't. Would definitely do it again.

We thoroughly enjoyed our experience at T-Rex, too. We ordered some of the more expensive items off the menu and were pleasantly surprised with the quality, preparation and service of the meal. It was much better than we expected. Was it loud? No moreso than a good portion of the character meals we go to. It's definitely a repeat for us - we'll be there again in July! Just goes to show that for each visitor, they have their own taste in teas. :D

javamama
04-21-2011, 05:06 PM
My ds is a dinosaur expert, seriously loves them, reads everything about them. So we figure great, he'll love it. Horrible time, food was blah, kids didn't really like it that much( I think he was overwhelmed a bit). Then the waitress let my dh overpay, we had a visa g/c that she couldn't figure out how to use, so we used our card then. Well she found us in the gift shop, and used the visa g/c on top of the cc it was a bad deal. Never again, we'd do the gift shop, and that's it.

artyboy
04-21-2011, 06:39 PM

Couldn't agree more! We eat at least twice there each visit. Tasty food and really awesome prices.

We also were less than enthused with T-Rex. It was so loud, and so disorganized...I doubt we'll even have a drink in their bar.

jsw123
04-21-2011, 09:00 PM
Well, we had a great experience at T-Rex. My DH, me, DD, and three cousins. They LOVED the dinosaurs. We were seated in the Ice Cave, which I think is the coolest. Our waitress was great -- kept the kids' drinks filled and checked back often. My DH was just OK with his meal, but my Layers of Earth Lasagne was delicious! And the kids loved their food. It is a cool restaurant if you love dinosaurs. Yes, expensive, but what at Disney isn't. (But for the person who recommended Sweet Tomatoe:mickey:s outside the World .... It is great!!!)