PDA

View Full Version : Has PIrates gone downhill?

epceddie
04-19-2011, 04:07 PM
My wife and I visited the MK last Thursday and we were really disappointed with the Pirates of the Caribbean ride. There used to be a grand entrance to the first big room, with cannons firing, water splashing, and a real sense of excitement. Now, the whole side to the right of the ship with Captain Barbarossa is completely dark and there's not a whole lot going on.
Also, the mist image of Davey Jones was a lot smaller.
To us, it seems like the ride has lost a lot of its lustre. What do the rest of you think?

Melanie
04-19-2011, 04:25 PM
My wife and I visited the MK last Thursday and we were really disappointed with the Pirates of the Caribbean ride. There used to be a grand entrance to the first big room, with cannons firing, water splashing, and a real sense of excitement. Now, the whole side to the right of the ship with Captain Barbarossa is completely dark and there's not a whole lot going on.
Also, the mist image of Davey Jones was a lot smaller.
To us, it seems like the ride has lost a lot of its lustre. What do the rest of you think?

I rode a few weeks ago and it didn't seem like any less action going on in that room than before. And I haven't noticed a difference in the mist either. :confused:

But I will say that the WDW version of this ride lost a whole lot of lustre for me the first time I rode the Disneyland version. ;)

Zawadi
04-19-2011, 04:32 PM
But I will say that the WDW version of this ride lost a whole lot of lustre for me the first time I rode the Disneyland version. ;)

:ditto:

I can give or take WDW's version of PotC. I can't remember the version in California from 2004 but the version in Paris puts WDW's to shame. I've even done the Paris version twice without getting out of the boat.

Melanie
04-19-2011, 04:47 PM
:ditto:

I can give or take WDW's version of PotC. I can't remember the version in California from 2004 but the version in Paris puts WDW's to shame. I've even done the Paris version twice without getting out of the boat.

And the one in Tokyo is very similar to Disneyland as well, so WDW definitely got the short stick on this one. It's a shame, but I don't even mind when I miss it at WDW.

big blue and hairy
04-19-2011, 04:48 PM
Well, if it didn't go downhill the boat wouldn't make it through the ride! (sorry, couldn't resist :D)

:sulley:

epceddie
04-19-2011, 05:01 PM
You make a good point!

Jillirose
04-19-2011, 07:18 PM
I was blissfully unaware of all the other versions! Pirates is one of our faves and we ride it at least 4 or 5 times every trip. Looking forward to seeing the other version(s) someday. :mickey:

akaDisneyDreamer
04-19-2011, 07:21 PM
I have nothing to compare it too (that must be a good thing!) and therefore it is one of my favorite rides at WDW! I haven't notices any changes in it over the past three years! Still fun! :pirate:

JPL
04-19-2011, 07:25 PM
I thought the ride went downhill when they added Capt. Jack to the ride. I used to love the ending scene and now it's nothing more than a really bad AA of Jack singing. The Disneyland version does blow the WDW version away but people have to remember it was an after thought at WDW. WDW wasn't suppose to get Pirates and they added it on the cheap after the fact when people started asking where it was. WDW was originally going to have a western expedition ride on the scale of Pirates but it never materialized after they added Pirates.

steamboat willy
04-20-2011, 08:30 AM
I have nothing to compare it too (that must be a good thing!) and therefore it is one of my favorite rides at WDW! I haven't notices any changes in it over the past three years! Still fun! :pirate:

I TOTALLY agree with AKA.....
I was at WDW when Pirates FIRST opened in the 70's and its still one of my must do's every trip. I also LOVE the Pirates Of The Caribbean movies, so I LOVE Capt. Jack regardless of his love for rum.:beer:
156 Days till another great Pirate ride.
There Be Squalls Ahead! :thumbsup:

AXOAlum
04-20-2011, 08:50 AM
Well, if it didn't go downhill the boat wouldn't make it through the ride! (sorry, couldn't resist :D)

bwahaha - I was thinking the EXACT same thing!! Glad to know I'm not the only one with a twisted sense of humor :mickey:

And to agree with Mel - we were there last May and everything seemed to be working fine (including DS getting splashed by one of the "cannon balls") . That being said - yes, WDW definitely got the short end of the stick when it comes to the PoTC attraction. I am waiting till the kids are older to go to DL and show them the "real" thing!! :mickey:

biodtl
04-20-2011, 10:23 AM
I've never been to DL, so I'm curious - what makes their version better?

EJS-Houston
04-20-2011, 10:50 AM
I was blissfully unaware of all the other versions! Pirates is one of our faves and we ride it at least 4 or 5 times every trip. Looking forward to seeing the other version(s) someday. :mickey:

Same here. I've never been to any of the other Disney parks, and I never fail to ride it when I visit DisneyWorld.

Victor Kelly
04-20-2011, 12:11 PM
I think they did a good job at the last refurb or adding the mist projection in the cave and adding Capt. Jack to the ride.

The only thing I DO NOT like is that they removed the talking parrot out front. I mean they added the very annoying IAGO to Tiki Room, but took away the pirate parrot?

I do look forward to our first trip to Disneyland to see the original pirates and HM. What is different about the POTC in Disneyland?

teamblackwell
04-20-2011, 12:21 PM
DLR version is a longer ride, from what I remember(have'nt been to WDW since '04).
As of 2 weeks ago, DLR version is well kept up. Hairy leg is back. Waving at the people eating in Blue Bayou is always fun. The one thing I don't like about DLR version is that it seems, almost every scene has a Jack Sparrow reference. Its a little too much.
And I think the DLR version has an extra drop, but not sure.

Zawadi
04-20-2011, 01:10 PM
The one thing I don't like about DLR version is that it seems, almost every scene has a Jack Sparrow reference. Its a little too much.

That's an advantage of PotC at DLR Paris since Capt Jack Sparrow is noticable by his total absence.

big blue and hairy
04-20-2011, 01:33 PM

It's longer and has more stuff. I have never seen it, but I can tell you the main reason. Florida has a much higher water table and they just can't dig down that low!

DizneyRox
04-20-2011, 01:43 PM
The addition of Captain Jack was really bad in my humble opinion. Its hit or miss if all the effects are working or not. More often than not at least one of the Jacks isn't working when I've been there.

The ending scene is really just a blatant cash in on the franchise. I don't understand what it has to do with anything. We still go on it, but its a step down if you ask me.

BrerGnat
04-20-2011, 02:51 PM
The addition of Captain Jack was really bad in my humble opinion. Its hit or miss if all the effects are working or not. More often than not at least one of the Jacks isn't working when I've been there.

The ending scene is really just a blatant cash in on the franchise. I don't understand what it has to do with anything. We still go on it, but its a step down if you ask me.

Totally agree with this. While I think the animatronic is really impressive, Johnny Depp doesn't belong in the middle of a classic ride like POTC.

Honestly, as soon as they made the movie franchise, it ruined the ride, IMHO.

Joannelet
04-20-2011, 02:55 PM
Potc in disneyland, CA is almost half as long as the WDW version. It is 15:30 min and Wdw's is 8:30 min. California also has 2 drops and the beginning of the ride passes through the blue bayou restaurant. It is truly worth a trip to Cali to experience it.

Melanie
04-20-2011, 02:59 PM
Potc in disneyland, CA is almost half as long as the WDW version. It is 15:30 min and Wdw's is 8:30 min. California also has 2 drops and the beginning of the ride passes through the blue bayou restaurant. It is truly worth a trip to Cali to experience it.

And it actually tells a story.

Ryan Towle
04-20-2011, 03:55 PM
But what DL's POTC has in length, WDW's makes up with amazing theming and a lengthy queue which takes you deeper and deeper into the Spanish fort until you finally reach the boats at the dark underground cove. WDW's actual ride show-building is a lot larger than DL's as well, meaning that the space between scenes in the town is considerably larger.

Melanie
04-20-2011, 03:58 PM
But what DL's POTC has in length, WDW's makes up with amazing theming and a lengthy queue which takes you deeper and deeper into the Spanish fort until you finally reach the boats at the dark underground cove. WDW's actual ride show-building is a lot larger than DL's as well, meaning that the space between scenes in the town is considerably larger. Here is a track layout of WDW's pirates.

Just curious, this makes the WDW version superior to you?

Ryan Towle
04-20-2011, 04:01 PM
I'm not saying it's superior lol, I'm just defending it a little bit haha. They both have their pros and cons. Just like the Haunted Mansion. Even though WDW's is larger/longer, some may argue the other way around and say that DL's is better. It can go either way.

Melanie
04-20-2011, 04:05 PM
I'm not saying it's superior lol, I'm just defending it a little bit haha. They both have their pros and cons. Just like the Haunted Mansion. Even though WDW's is larger/longer, some may argue the other way around and say that DL's is better. It can go either way.

I love it! And I'm being serious. I will give the queue to WDW, but the DL version is just so far superior in every other way, it's not even close.

Ryan Towle
04-20-2011, 04:09 PM
Well, to each their own then. haha

Pat Ryan
04-22-2011, 07:28 AM
Went on it yesterday... I did notice that in the big room with the ships battling that it did seem dark with not much going on (on the left side especially just back the main ship).

darthmacho
04-22-2011, 09:29 AM
I think the ride has improved from the time I saw it in 2003 to the last time we visited in 2010. I think the movie tie-ins are very good.

My wife says she thinks the final scene used to be a lot more bright, colorful, and engaging, and I tend to agree, but I still think Captain Sparrow was an upgrade.

One change I really miss is the talking parrot out front. I know it's a minor thing, but I really miss the little guy.

Ian
04-22-2011, 04:16 PM

The ending scene is really just a blatant cash in on the franchise. I don't understand what it has to do with anything. We still go on it, but its a step down if you ask me.ITA ... I actually have lost a bit of love for it since they added Capt Jack in, in fact. It used to be my favorite attraction on property, but I dunno ... it's just not the same. The story is all messed up and disjointed now, especially that final scene. It's really lame, IMO, although I do think the treasure room with Jack in it is well done.

But seriously ... how in the world does Jack sitting on a pile of treasure tie in with the guys across the way in the burning jail cells? It's ridiculous and totally out of place.

And yes DL's Pirates is way better than WDW's. Longer, more detailed, two drops, additional scenes ... far superior.

DizneyRox
04-22-2011, 04:40 PM
The new effects are great I agree... They are just out of place. You've got lifelike Jack next to 1950's looking animatronics. The last scene is also visually great, but doesn't mean anything to me...

LudwigVonDrake
04-23-2011, 04:17 PM
I don't mind Davey Jones but I wasn't happy when they added Jack and Barbossa. I also miss the talking skull. Oh well, I guess things have to change.

kbean
04-25-2011, 10:03 AM
Really People? WDW's POTC was built in what 78? Of course it's gona lack luster from Paris and other new ones. Cali's is the OG of Pirate's so it should be better. But WDW hasnt taken any scenes out. It was awesome as a kid, as an adult I admit it's a litle blah but still a great ride.

I found this:

The ride never was intended to be part of the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort because of concerns that it would not be exotic enough due to Florida's geographic proximity to the Caribbean and New Orleans, the settings of the Disneyland attraction. Instead, Imagineers developed plans for a similar attraction called the Western River Expedition, which would have featured cowboys and Indians instead as well as banditos, coyotes, miners, and a climactic boat descent bigger than those featured in the Pirate attractions. After many Walt Disney World guests complained about the lack of Disney's celebrated pirate attraction, an abbreviated version opened in Florida on December 15, 1973.

MNNHFLTX
04-25-2011, 11:03 AM
I don't think that WDW's Pirates is lackluster. Not as good as the one in DL, of course, but still a lot of fun. While the addition of Jack Sparrow to jazz it up was undoubtedly commercially motivated, I think it's appropriate.

Victor Kelly
04-25-2011, 11:58 AM
I miss the parrot and the skull and crossbones.

I think POTC in WDW does tell a story well enough that when I was 5 I understood what was being conveyed. It is in the theme song too. Pirates descend upon a town, pilfer, rob, loot, chase wenches, set things ablaze and capture the treasure building.

But I do look forward to going to DL to see all of their attractions better or worse than WDW. My mind is open.

Melanie
04-25-2011, 12:02 PM
I miss the parrot and the skull and crossbones.

I'm with you on this one. I miss X Atencio's voice here.

Aurora
04-25-2011, 01:13 PM
My first POTC ride was in Disneyland when I was 10. Fell in love with it and the Haunted Mansion. In 1978, when I was 15, we visited WDW for the first of many trips over the years. POTC remained one of my favorites even though I could tell the difference between the versions.

In 2005 we took our kids to Disneyland, and I couldn't believe that what I remembered was just a shadow of the DL ride. Disneyland's Pirates is amazing, and it's worth the trip to California for every WDW fan to see.

We're going to Disney World in June, but because WDW's Pirates was down in 2008 the last time my kids were in WDW, it'll be the first time they'll have seen POTC in 6 years. I'll be interested to see if they have any memory of the DL version. (Oldest kids were 5 and 8 at the time.)

ryca1dreams
04-25-2011, 04:50 PM
I like some of the "new" effects, like the cannon blasts which sound more like cannons instead of 'pops'.

However, with the addition of Jack, it becomes a ride which is based on a movie which is based on a ride :confused:

Still fun though.

Goofster
04-26-2011, 01:01 PM
Everything was working during our trip in March. In fact, my son practically jumped out of the boat when a canon blast splashed right next to him.

I'm just 'eh' with the addition of Sparrow. It didn't ruin the show for me, but it didn't enhance it either. IMHO, the addition wasn't needed as it was fine the way it was before.

CaptainSad
04-26-2011, 05:40 PM
Went on it yesterday... I did notice that in the big room with the ships battling that it did seem dark with not much going on (on the left side especially just back the main ship).

If I remember correctly. There is the ship on the left and a fort on the right. I have never seen two ships in the big room.

Jared
04-26-2011, 05:54 PM
Maybe it's a generational difference, but I don't mind the Jack Sparrow overlay. Actually, there's really no way Disney could have avoided putting characters from the film franchise into the attraction, and I think most of us understand that, if not accept it. For a vast majority of riders nowadays, Johnny Depp and Pirates of the Caribbean are congruous. Fans like us bask in the history and tradition of the ride, but I recognize that we're in the extreme minority. How many of us have overheard people in line discussion the "new" ride called Pirates of the Caribbean? "It must be new," they say. "The first movie came out in 2003."

That's not a defense of Florida's version of the attraction, though. The Disneyland attraction it's so far superior it's unfair to compare the two. Pirates of the Caribbean is my absolute favorite Disneyland attraction. I don't put the Disney World version in my top five -- in the Magic Kingdom alone.

crltkcagle
04-26-2011, 08:32 PM
POC is our favorite ride in the entire park. We love Johnny Depp being in it. I guess we are the odd balls but we wouldn't change much about the ride. There's nothing better than hearing those first words Yo Ho Yo Ho! Gets us in the disney mood everytime. I have seen the DL version on youtube and it does look like its done better but I will settle for my Jack Sparrow in WDW. :pirate:

Disney-4-Me
04-27-2011, 12:48 AM
I still love this ride and don't understand the usual lack of lines. Of course it makes the whole experience nicer for us.

There are too many Jacks, but he is easy on the eyes!:blush:

SandmanGStefani24
04-27-2011, 11:38 AM
well last trip it did seem much shorter than usual. not sure if the boats were sped up to keep up with crowds or what.

could have also been that half of the ride was marred by this loser's giant videocamera display screen that was so bright you could hardly see the ride. :mad:

I also agree with the previous post that said having sparrow in every scene wasn't exactly necessary. :thumbsup:

forever a child
04-27-2011, 03:46 PM
I too am saddened by the changes that were made to WDW's POTC. I really miss the two battle ships in the big room. I remember thinking that it was really eerie going through that room and being smack in the middle of their battle on sea!

I also really miss the Parrot. I use to love to enter the ride and see him!

I wish they had not introduced Johnny Depp. It really ruined the ride for me. I still love riding it but not nearly as much as I used to. :cry:

Melanie
04-27-2011, 04:59 PM
I too am saddened by the changes that were made to WDW's POTC. I really miss the two battle ships in the big room. I remember thinking that it was really eerie going through that room and being smack in the middle of their battle on sea!

I'm not remembering two ships in the big room. I thought it had always been the one ship on the left and the fort on the right. When did that change?

Altair
04-27-2011, 06:43 PM
I also really miss the Parrot. I use to love to enter the ride and see him!

The parrot is in the World of Disney store at DTD.

forever a child
04-27-2011, 11:19 PM
I'm not remembering two ships in the big room. I thought it had always been the one ship on the left and the fort on the right. When did that change?

Your right Melanie, it was a fort...

teamblackwell
04-28-2011, 12:21 PM
In the scene where "Carlos" is being dunked in the well, and there's a lady in the window yelling to him no no no no Carlos, dont tell them where the treasure is. At the DLR version she now says "no no no Carlos, dont tell them where Jack Sparrow is." Has that also been changed at WDW.

Anthony007
04-29-2011, 02:28 PM
POTC WDW is my FAV ride of all time, its the one I remember most from childhood; but I have to say, the Paris POTC is miles ahead of POTC.

Mousemates
04-29-2011, 04:26 PM
I love it! And I'm being serious. I will give the queue to WDW, but the DL version is just so far superior in every other way, it's not even close.

you have got that right...we were completely blown away by the superiority of the DL version...made us kind of wonder if at WDW they were running low on funds or just in a hurry to get it done. Not saying the WDW version isn't lots of fun, just saying that the DL is way better.

Victor Kelly
05-02-2011, 12:30 PM
Problem is, WDW is playing second fiddle to DL and DCA which had its own turn at neglect. IF DL is so much smaller than WDW, then why couldn't WDW POTC be better? I am fine with it, do not get me wrong, just a rhetorical question.

big blue and hairy
05-04-2011, 09:30 AM
Problem is, WDW is playing second fiddle to DL and DCA which had its own turn at neglect. IF DL is so much smaller than WDW, then why couldn't WDW POTC be better? I am fine with it, do not get me wrong, just a rhetorical question.

The problem from what I understand is the fact that it is in Florida. The water table in Florida is very close to the surface. Therefore, you can not dig very far without hitting it. That is why POC is shorter in WDW. If you can't have a big drop, you can't go as far. (thus my smart-alek remark earlier in the thread)