PDA

View Full Version : Buying a car

Maleficent_vf
04-18-2011, 05:29 PM
So, I'm seriously considering buying a new (or almost new) car. I've only bought one car and the process doesn't thrill me. :ack: I hear conflicting information about whether car dealers offer firm prices or whether it is worth trying to haggle (not my strong suit) or name a price. Can anyone offer any suggestions/advice?

BTW - this is Disney-related as I will be driving this car to WDW in January! :mickey:

BrerGnat
04-18-2011, 06:49 PM
First of all, this is the Water Cooler, where (almost) anything goes, topic wise. Doesn't have to be Disney related. ;)

I hate buying cars too, but there is some wiggle room. Specifically, NEVER pay sticker price unless you are looking to buy a very popular, hard to find, in demand car.

I like to use Edmunds.com for information about fair market value of cars. You enter in your zip code, and the make, model, and year of the car you are interested in. They will show you what "others" in your area are paying for that exact car. Good way to get a ballpark figure to work with.

I've bought our last three cars. This is what I do (because I'm not good with haggling, and conflict and whatnot). I do the research online. I figure out what I *should* pay for the car. I look at dealer websites to see their inventory, and whether they have what I want or not. When I find a dealer that has the car I want, I go there, let them know I want THAT car (whatever it may be), and I am willing to pay $X for it, "X" being the figure.

I then tell the salesman that I will buy the car right then and there if:

1. They will sell it at MY price.
2. They can get the transaction done and I can be driving off the lot in 90 minutes (they can, if they really want the sale...that way there is no time for them to mess with you). ;)

It's worked for me three times. I always have my financing in order, but I give them a chance to beat the APR that my bank has given me (twice, they did...gave us 0% one time, then 0.9% the other time).

Car dealers are hurting nowadays. They need to make sales. They should be willing to work with you.

Good luck!

Itchy
04-18-2011, 06:50 PM
So, I'm seriously considering buying a new (or almost new) car. I've only bought one car and the process doesn't thrill me. :ack: I hear conflicting information about whether car dealers offer firm prices or whether it is worth trying to haggle (not my strong suit) or name a price. Can anyone offer any suggestions/advice?

BTW - this is Disney-related as I will be driving this car to WDW in January! :mickey:

1. I would first decided on what kind of car you want.

2. Then do you research, via internet works well. I would go to sites such as NADA used car price guide.

a. Here you can decide if you have a car in mind what the price is for retail, ect. according to milage and equipment.

After you have done your home work the buying will be easier since you will be armed with most of the same information they ( the car dealers have ).

Do not let them tell you that if you dont buy now it will be sold to someone else who is looking at it. Decide on a price you want to pay.

Ask to have your own mechanic look at the car. This can be worth a bunch as you can find if it is in good condition. Ask for a CAR FAX.

Hope this helps.:mickey:

Momto3littlemice
04-18-2011, 07:05 PM
Natalie's advice is really great! I will also say that you have the best chance of getting a great price on the last day of the month at the end of the day -- they will stay to make that sale and if everyone has stayed late to make the sale they are not going to let you go. We did this once when we bought a new car and got a price so low we almost felt bad! (almost, not really...):mickey:

btharvey
04-19-2011, 07:41 AM
Use the internet! Edmund's, definitely, but also Consumer Reports, local dealers' web pages, and also those conglomerate dealers that offer no-haggle pricing (CarMax is only one of several, though it may be the largest). The no-haggle prices may not be the absolute lowest, but they're the "most logical" pricing, as they wish to sell lots of cars for the practical mark-up, and you can always use their pricing against what a dealer may want to charge you.

princessgirls
04-19-2011, 08:47 AM
Natalie...You go girl!!!

I'm not good at haggling or conflict, so that makes me a terrible car shopper! I let the DH handle it, and he is lucky because I LOVE my 9 year old truck!!!

Try to buy new, as the interest rates are always so much better. I think Honda/Acura and most of the rest were running 1.9% interest loan, recently.

I personally am a fan of the GM 0% loan, which was the only way I could afford to buy (not lease) my Suburban. They offer it a good amount throughout the year to move inventory.

Good Luck to you making this new purchase!
Julie:mickey:

Basket Mommy
04-19-2011, 10:33 AM
Our last three car transactions were with CarMax and I hve nothing but good things to say about them. They are amazing. You pay the price on the sticker and they offer what I think are fair prices for trade-ins. We only buy used cars, so CarMax is our favorite place. As a female who has been talked down to by male sales people and mechanics, I find CarMax to be very female friendly. They talk to me with respect and do not dumb down things simply because I am female. I love CarMax!

magicofdisney
04-19-2011, 11:54 AM
The last time we bought a vehicle was when gas prices were high, like they are now. I tell you the car lots were not seeing much activity so we were able to negotiate an incredible deal on a used vehicle.

Just a little FYI for ya. :)