PDA

View Full Version : Haunted Mansion Stretch Rooms

WDWPrincess
04-18-2011, 02:07 AM
Please help me out here. I am in a heated debate about the stretch rooms at the Haunted Mansion.

Please state which of these is true:

A) The two stretch rooms are actually "elevator like" rooms where the group of people inside is literally being lowered one level before they are released into the hallway to board their doom buggies

OR

B) The two stretch rooms are not any sort of elevator. The group of people remains on the same level at all times and the stretching effect is simply done with fake screen-like walls as they are unrolled and raised above the group's heads before they enter the hallway.

Nini
04-18-2011, 02:42 AM
The answer is "B" at WDW.

Although I've never been there, I believe I've read that at DL the answer would be "A".

Denise :mickey:

Ryan Towle
04-18-2011, 04:15 AM
Yes, Nini is correct. At Disneyland, the stretch room serves as an elevator to take guests down. This is because the main ride showbuilding is outside of the train tracks. At the Magic Kingdom in Florida however, the showbuilding is still within the train tracks, so there's no need to go down a level, but they still wanted to keep the effect. So at WDW, the ceiling goes up, instead of the floor going down.

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-18-2011, 08:33 AM
:exactly: At WDW, you don't actually go anywhere. At Disneyland, you do!

I hate elevators (I get clausterphobic), but knowing that I'm not going anywhere makes the Stretching Room at the Haunted Mansion soooo much easier for me :thumbsup:

Ian
04-18-2011, 09:44 AM
Please state which of these is true:

A) The two stretch rooms are actually "elevator like" rooms where the group of people inside is literally being lowered one level before they are released into the hallway to board their doom buggies.This is true!

OR

B) The two stretch rooms are not any sort of elevator. The group of people remains on the same level at all times and the stretching effect is simply done with fake screen-like walls as they are unrolled and raised above the group's heads before they enter the hallway.This is true!

LOL ... obviously, as others have said, it depends on which park you're in. Disneyland's stretching room is actually an elevator, while WDW's is not. The ceiling lifts up on the WDW version while you remain in the same place.

The reason for it was actually functional ... when the Haunted Mansion was first built (at Disneyland) the Imagineers had to go outside the existing park berm to accomodate the size of the show building. That required them to cross the Disneyland Railroad tracks, so they opted to essentially drop guests down below ground level and take them under the tracks to get them into the show building. The "stretching room" was created to give the journey an interesting and theme-appropriate overlay.

Well it was so popular in Disneyland that when they built the Disney World version they kept the effect, even though it wasn't required from a functional standpoint. :mickey:

wdwluv
04-18-2011, 11:36 AM
That's sooo cool to know!!! Thanks for asking the question!!!

BrerGnat
04-18-2011, 11:37 AM
Yep, you can feel the floor moving at Disneyland. And then, after you exit the elevator, you have to walk down a long hallway to get to the boarding area. This is when you are going under the train tracks.

KatieDuck22
04-18-2011, 01:46 PM
yeah as far as i know (being on both) in disneyworld floor doesn't move...unlike disneyland where the floor is an elevator, though disneyworld does it so well that you almost can't tell the difference.