PDA

View Full Version : Crowd Calendar

mgmnut
04-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Has anyone used the Disney World Crowd Calendar from Touringplans?

Can anyone tell me if it accurate as far as what days to visit what parks?

We are going to be down during a very busy time so I am trying to plan as acurately as possible to make the best of it.

I usually just go by avoiding parks on the following days:

Magic Kingdom: Monday, Saturday & Sunday
Epcot: Wednesday & Friday
Disney-MGM Studios: Tuesday, Wednesday & Saturday
Animal Kingdom: Monday, Tuesday & Friday

But would like to see if there is something more specific to use to help plan

If there is a better source for information I would appreciate someone pointing me inthe right direction

spoiledraf
04-17-2011, 10:49 AM
Basic rule of thumb for me, avoid EMHs. If your going in summer, as am I, plan for the worst and hope for the best! :D

tundramom
04-17-2011, 10:58 AM
We find it to be pretty accurate, but have never been when it's really busy. Good Luck!

mgmnut
04-17-2011, 11:08 AM
Basic rule of thumb for me, avoid EMHs. If your going in summer, as am I, plan for the worst and hope for the best! :D

I usually do avoid going to parks with EMH, but this time the "tentative plan" has us going to MK on a day it has morning EMH's. The thinking behind it was, there are 2 nights that MK will be open until 2am with evening EMH's, we will be hopping to MK after dinner both nights to take advantage of them. Since we will have so much time in MK this trip we figured we can still do a full day at MK on a morning EMH day and just take our time. Plus we are staying at WL so if it is too crazy we can shoot back to the resort or just hop to another park.

mom2morgan
04-17-2011, 12:37 PM
I'd say they're usually pretty accurate. I have twice ignored the advice to avoid Magic kingdom on Thursdays, and both times have been really sorry! I won't make that mistake again. They're advice for EMH is good and we've done it - if you have park hoppers, go for the early EMH then hop to a different park once the crowds start picking up. And definitely avoid the MK on any day that has a special "party". I do use their touring plans - if it is busy I stick to them fairly religiously with great results. But if I get to the park and it is not as crowded, I'll ditch the plan and do my own thing. Since you are going in a crowded time, I really do recommend them! (I buy the book which has all the plans at the back. Not sure, but there may be more variety of plans than on the website).

Strmchsr
04-17-2011, 12:58 PM
from trying to track their data I would say they are sporadically accurate. Sometimes they are spot on and sometimes way off. It's hard to tell. They update their sites a lot so you might plan on going in one month because they show a level "4" crowd, but a week or two before you go they start projecting an "8" for that week (had that happen to me twice in May). So, far off projections really aren't that good. A couple of weeks off they tend to be a little more accurate, but it's still hit and miss. If you buy the book, it's worth taking a look at, but I don't think I would subscribe. You can get the same advice (just without numbers) by asking here for free.

ransam
04-17-2011, 04:45 PM
EMH is good only if you get there at the park opening, and then leave in the afternoon and go to a different park when it gets too packed.

happy day
04-18-2011, 10:30 AM
We are going to try all am EMH this August in hopes to get there before all the crowds and heat. I am hoping the first couple of hours make it worth going early.

MarkC
04-18-2011, 01:34 PM
Best advice I can give is to avoid the pay site. Use the free 30 day window information. Last year they changed the numbers on our dates just a day or two before the trip, so anyone who used that for trip planning would have been very unhappy. You can find just as good and usually better information just by asking people on here.

Jennifer_and_Chris
04-19-2011, 01:10 PM
I just paid for a 1 year subscription. It was cheaper than buying a book that is probably outdated as soon as it is printed.

I am going in october and use their best/worse park predictions. I've used their book predictions before. We haven't been to WDW during peak timesby design. We always go when resort crowd levels are no higher than 3.

I like to be able to look anything up online at work or home without lugging a large book with me. I also like to customize my touring plan online. Another great thing is their smartphone apps. I know there's probably tons of disney apps out there but, I've already got this one included in the price of my yearly membership. It was only $9.95 for the year. Compared to the price of the book and any other apps I'd have to purchase, it was well worth it for me.