PDA

View Full Version : Staying Offsite?

Mary Chase
04-16-2011, 08:13 AM
We are planning a trip to Disney in November and seriously considering staying offsite unless Disney releases some discounts that make it worthwhile to stay onsite. If we stay offsite we will definitely be driving vs. flying so we'll have our own car. We have never stayed offsite, so here are my concerns/questions that I hope I can get some opinions on:

1. Distance to the parks - what are the closest non-Disney hotels?

2. In addition to being close, I feel like if we stay non-Disney, I wouldn't mind having a little more space (suite/condo, etc.).

3. Driving to/from parks - how bad is the traffic to/from the parks? Going in November, so crowds should be lighter. Also, I have never parked a car at MK, Epcot, of DHS - is it a bad walk from the car to the gate? I guess I'm just spoiled by Disney transportation which basically drops you off at the gate. The only offsite experience I had was a Downtown Disney hotel that had shuttle service that we used - and that basically drop you off at a certain space in a parking lot and I didn't like that.

Any help I can get would be appreciated. I did see a deal for a two bedroom suite at Paradise something (can't remember the full name) for $65 a night. Seems too good to be true. But when I crunch the numbers, I can stay for 8 nights there for roughly $600, but staying moderate level at Disney is over $1500 - just seems like it should be a no brainer if I could just bring myself to stay offsite. I think the Disney transportation is the biggest issue for me. Although I guess I need to remember the times I've waited 20-30 minutes at the bus stop where if we had our car we could have been on our way.

Any opinions on staying offsite would be appreciated - especially from people who stayed onsite before and now have found staying offsite to be better for them. Thanks!

timandlesley
04-16-2011, 08:20 AM
We like Buena Vista Suites if you are going to stay off site. They have really nice rooms, they were all refurbished recently and the free breakfast is nice too : ) It's not too far from the parks, right on I4 but there is always going to be a bit of traffic staying close to the parks - don't forget to factor in the cost of parking when you stay off site too.
Lesley

PrettyMinnie
04-16-2011, 08:44 AM
The first time we went to Disney we stayed off site in a 2 bedroom condo. It was almost directly in between Universal and Disney because we were going to both theme parks, but you would probably want something a little closer. Even with the drive, we rarely hit traffic and parking was never an issue. We enjoyed taking the boat/monorail to MK. Staying off site was nice because the condo was very nice. There were several pools, a beach area, bars/lounges, and bike rentals along with other things. The resort was beautiful and I know there are dozens like it that are closer to Disney, and the price is true! If we were to stay off site again we would definitely miss the transportation and probably the DDP, which our family utilizes every trip. But the amount you save on accommodations makes up for it, at least a little! :mickey:

Jillirose
04-16-2011, 09:20 AM
We tried Dolphin last trip - not spacious, but very convenient. Check out their website and you can earn SPG points (like Mariott, HI and other hotel chains). All Disney transportation, walking distance to DHS and EPCOT. We'll probably try it again. :thumbsup:

brownie
04-16-2011, 10:45 AM
3. Driving to/from parks - how bad is the traffic to/from the parks? Going in November, so crowds should be lighter. Also, I have never parked a car at MK, Epcot, of DHS - is it a bad walk from the car to the gate? I guess I'm just spoiled by Disney transportation which basically drops you off at the gate.

We haven't had a problem with traffic when we've driven, but you never know. We like to get to the parks before they open, so that can make a difference.

If you get to the parks before they open, you can usually park within walking distance of the gate. If not, the trams will take you to the gate, or in the case of the Magic Kingdom, to the Transportation and Ticket Center where you can take a monorail or ferry to the Magic Kingdom.

ransam
04-16-2011, 12:01 PM
even w/o discounts, you have to take in to account the cost of driving, gas, meals, etc....

Have a great trip!

HoosierDisneyFan
04-16-2011, 06:39 PM
Remember to add the parking fees to your cost calculations. I believe this would be $14.00 per day. Free parking when staying at Disney resorts.