PDA

View Full Version : Life change - back to nursing!

Tinkermom
04-15-2011, 08:53 PM
I have worked in ministry for over 12 years now (children's ministry) but after much discussion with my family and lots of prayer I have decided to go back to nursing. I worked as a pediatric RN for close to 10 years. I have been out of nursing now for 14 years but I have been accepted into an RN refresher program at our local community college. I start the program in September and will have my RN license again by Christmas or so!

There are lots of reasons for why I have decided to leave ministry and go back to nursing. I have been feeling very drained lately and am truly burned out with trying to find and manage volunteers. I work for a large church and manage about 200 volunteers as well as write all of our curriculum for about 700 elementary kiddos. In addition to this we have 3 children, 2 of whom will be heading off to college in 2 and 3 years. Currently I put in full time + hours but only get paid part time. An increase in my salary as a nurse will be very helpful!

I will remain on staff at my church through the summer. It has been a very stressful time lately as this decision was a difficult one. I am really excited but also apprehensive. Prayers and pixie dust appreciated! :mickey:

Dopey's Girl
04-15-2011, 11:56 PM
Best of luck!

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-16-2011, 06:34 AM
Wow! I have worked in CM for years, but nothing on the scale you've done.

I can completely understand being drained, and the $$ (I was only paid part-time for a full-time job too!). I hope that the transition back to nursing is smooth, both for you and your church.

Melanie
04-16-2011, 07:51 AM
Best of luck Lisa! Sounds like your heart is telling you what is right. Enjoy your new (old) journey!

Jillirose
04-16-2011, 09:27 AM
I think changes keep you thinking/learning/challenged and keep the boredom and burnout at bay. I have changed positions about every ten years and am in my 9th year at my current post. Thinking of what may be next....

TheMartellFamily
04-16-2011, 09:59 AM
You had the calling to help others, in a church or as a nurse know that you are doing a good job for those that need help.

sgdisney
04-16-2011, 11:56 AM
I believe that the calling to be a nurse is in it's own way a calling to minister. May God truly bless you as you start this journey!

ElenitaB
04-16-2011, 06:49 PM
You had the calling to help others, in a church or as a nurse know that you are doing a good job for those that need help.

I can't say it any better! Best of luck as you return to nursing. No matter where you are, you will be helping others!

Ed
04-17-2011, 08:24 AM
Tons of :pixie: headed your way, along with lots of prayers.

I know you've been considering this move for a while, and it's been a bit of a struggle reaching a decision, but I'm confident you've thought it through and are comfortable that you're making the right decision for you and the family.

:congrats:

Jeff
04-17-2011, 09:46 AM
Good luck as you prepare to transfer your ministry work from one group to another!:thumbsup:

DisneyorBust
04-17-2011, 10:35 AM
Prayers and best wishes for you as you continue to minister to those in need.

MNNHFLTX
04-17-2011, 04:35 PM
Welcome back to the wonderful world of nursing! :nurse:

Good luck with your studies and may you find happiness and fulfillment in your career move!

princessjojo
04-18-2011, 10:01 AM
I've found that in nursing there are many times where your two paths will cross. I've had to use it several times, especially when having to discuss end-of-life issues with family members. Your ministry background will be both a blessing and comfort to many families during their time of need.

Good luck!!

murphy1
04-18-2011, 11:03 AM
Congrats Lisa! I count nurses as angels on earth having depended upon a few in my life. You will do great again!

Shari