PDA

View Full Version : Tusker house breakfast

mouseketeer mom
04-15-2011, 05:25 PM
We are considering whether we want to keep this ADR. What would set this one apart, is it worth keeping? How does it compare to Chef Mickeys?
Thanks!

faline
04-15-2011, 05:56 PM
Our one experience at this place was not the best. We arrived for our reservation to find folks sitting everywhere waiting to be seated. There were many angry people and long waits. At one point, we shared a table (in the bar area outside) with another family of 4 who had just arrived. Within 15 minutes, their beeper went off (we had been waiting 30 minutes or more at that point). Now, I understand that the "reservation" is for the next table for a party of your size (we were a party of 2). When my husband went up to check on where our reservation stood, we were buzzed within 5 minutes. As we walked to the check-in podium, I noticed another party of 2 still waiting to be seated and I know they had been there BEFORE us.

When we got around the corner, we found we were in another line. Others were quite vociferous in their upset about this. We were finally seated.

We found the restaurant to be quite noisy. I do recall we saw the character and the food was decent (though not spectacular).

As you can see, what stands out in my mind are the issues that we experienced. This may have been unusual but one tends to remember the issues. We haven't been back so I have no other comparison to know whether or not this was typical or atypical.

JPL
04-15-2011, 06:31 PM
I have been to this breakfast twice. The first time being a great experience and the food was awesome. It was much better than Chef Mickey's especially in the food category. The selection was much better a step above the basic Disney breakfast buffet. The character interactions were great as well. On my second visit the food was still good but my server was terrible! More concerned with a larger party I guess hoping for a bigger tip from them and ingoring us in the process :mad: I would return again and just chalking up the one negative experience to the individual server.

PETE FROM NYC
04-15-2011, 07:05 PM
We have done breakfast there a few times. Good character interaction.
Decent food and service. Plus a few more exotic foods.
IMHO, I prefer breakfast at Crystal Palace for no particular reason.
We have also done breakfast at Chef Mickeys a couple of times and do recommend it also.

akaDisneyDreamer
04-15-2011, 07:45 PM
We had a really good experience at Tusker House for breakfast last August. We were seated promptly, the server was good, the food was yummy and the charactor interaction was fun! No complaints, we will definitely return. Also one of the perks was booking an early ADR so we were in the park before the crowds!
:donald: :goofy::minnie::mickey3:

We also enjoyed an early ADR at Crystal Palace and enjoyed that very much as well!
:piglet::pooh::eeyore::tigger:

Haven't tried Chef Mickey's yet ... maybe next trip!

Briansmom
04-15-2011, 07:57 PM
Tusker HOuse breakfast is one of our faves. We have been three times and all have been good....food, service, character interaction. I will say the last time we went this last September was the first time we had been there since they had changed it so you meet Donald out front instead of him coming to the table like the other characters. I think I like being able to have the picture with him out front instead of trying to get a good one inside (of course, Donald is DS12's fave!). Alot of people really like the juice they have here as well....I'm not a big fan, but I've seen rave reviews on Intercot for it. We do like Tusker House better than Crystal Palace (the choices on the buffet are a little more exotic than CP...not weird exotic, but just a step above the 'regular' Disney b'fast buffet.) It is a must do for us now. :donald:

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-15-2011, 09:29 PM
We've been to Tusker House twice for breakfast, and quite enjoyed it each time.

The food is a step-up from the regular disney breakfast buffet (DH likes that there have been a couple of african-flavoured dishes each time), and for us, it seems quieter than Chef Mickey's.

The character interaction has been excellent both times. The only negative is that both times the servers seemed offended that we didn't want the "jambo juice". Oh well, we would go back to Tusker House anyday, especially before Chef Mickey's.

mouseketeer mom
04-16-2011, 07:51 AM
What are the African dishes mentioned in the above posts? That is what is enticing myself and my middle daughter, are they egg dishes or something else?

DizneyRox
04-16-2011, 08:12 AM
I think Tusker House (formerly Donald's Restaurantosaurus) is the best breakfast on property. It's always been a little unorganized for entry and I would say it's a little worse now, but we've been a few times since they converted and it has gotten better. I can't quite figure out why they can't organize it, it's usually sold out, so they know that people are coming.

If you book early morning ADRs, I think you have a better shot at them being on schedule and getting in on time.

Once inside, I think the character interaction is great and the food is much better than the overcooked eggs and soggy bacon you get everywhere else.

We go at least once per trip, sometimes twice if we can squeeze it in.

We've done, Chef Mickeys, Ohana's, CRT, Akershus, Cape May and 1900 Park Fare, and I would rate this above all of those easily.

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-16-2011, 07:36 PM
What are the African dishes mentioned in the above posts? That is what is enticing myself and my middle daughter, are they egg dishes or something else?

I just asked DH, and he remembers coconut rice, plantains, african-spiced ham, different breads ... he doesn't remember any more off hand, but there were some different choices, along with all of the regular Disney breakfast food.

jonahbear2006
04-16-2011, 08:59 PM
I absolutely loved it. We just went in late January and I thought the character interaction here was fresh whereas chefs it seems tired and almost an obligation.. The food was fresher and the platters they put out were so exciting that we all had a delicious time getting plate after plate of goodies. We also got to drink Jungle Juice, which was a pleasant suprise for all of us. We had no idea that this was going to be offered. I was sure only boma had this yummy juice! I would definitely try it. We cancelled it a few times before bc we were a little wary of it, as well, however I regret not keeping it now.

Fastpasssteve
04-16-2011, 11:47 PM
If you are going to WDW during a crowded time of year, I would suggest keeping your reservation. In fact, I would suggest getting an early reservation BEFORE the park opens. It's a lovely time to take pictures before it becomes crowded, plus, you can get right on the Kilimanjaro Safari. You could even take all your party's tickets and get FastPasses for the group as they were finishing up breakfast.

About the food. I loved it. Plenty of variety with piping hot foods as well as pastries and danish as good as at Boma in the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Yum!

Consider.

whitney37354
04-18-2011, 02:25 PM
We had a 9 a.m. ADR with a 9 a.m. park opening. We entered the park early, seemed quite a walk to Tusker House (never having been there before), & we did wait at the outdoor tables for a while before being called in.

CM was slow but nice. There seemed to be a bigger variety of items on this buffet compared to others in WDW. Juice was good!

No problems, just okay.

We did 10 character meals that week & Ohana was the best by far.

NJGIRL
04-20-2011, 09:19 AM
I liked it more than Chef Mickey's. I thought the character interaction was better. The service was much better than our last trip to Chef Mickeys and I loved the bread pudding!

But really when it comes down to it I have found that the 8 places we have had buffet breakfast are pretty much the same.

KatieDuck22
04-21-2011, 09:46 AM
Chef Mickeys momma!:mickey:

Joannelet
04-21-2011, 10:53 AM
I loved Donald's Restaurant but when they moved it to Tusker House I was really disappointed. :(
Like Faline said in her post the wait times were ridiculous....so many angry people...it bothers me that they still cannot get the seating down....
The food was eh....wasn't really thrilled with it...
The character interaction was good...but by the time we got in to sit (not according to my ressie times) my son was done with it all and wanted out.
Then there is my sister and her family that LOVE this restaurant so it can literally go either way. It all depends on that moment, the family, etc.
I always think that regardless everyone should try the restaurants for themselves and then make their own opinions about it....because it can go either way...
Make memories and enjoy!

wildernesslady
04-21-2011, 03:34 PM
We thought it was OK. If you were planning on being at the AK that day, I would suggest Boma. It is one of our favorite breakfasts.

snowflakegirl
04-22-2011, 10:23 PM
My boyfriend and I went when we were there in August and absolutely LOVED it. It was a little loud and crowed in the room that we were in, but not bad, and there was good character interaction. I thought the food was excellent.

As previous posters mentioned there were some more exotic options than at other breakfast buffets. I remember a spiced corned beef hash (which was delicious), Beef Bobtie Quiche, Mealie Pap (which was like a porridge), and also the frittatas were incredible.