PDA

View Full Version : Scanner or Pat down...What do you prefer?

luvdiznee
04-14-2011, 06:16 PM
Or do we get a choice? This will be my first time flying since they have started these new measures. I feel especially bad for my DD13 who wears a medical device (insulin pump). I am thinking of having her take it off completely while we are going through these security measures. And I usually carry some cash on me that I would keep in my pocket :secret:but it sounds like I can't even do that. I have been robbed by a TSA agent of some cash (not too much) when I put it in my bag. And it was at this very airport, ALB, that we are going to again be flying out of. So, I geuss I will bring very very little cash and credit cards. Its hard to watch my bags and my DD to see what she is going through.

Just not sure what to expect.

MississippiDisneyFreak
04-15-2011, 08:23 AM
Personally I would rather the scanner...if I didn't fly frequently I wouldn't worry about radiation and would rather that than feeling violated by a pat down

mouseketeer mom
04-15-2011, 08:40 AM
I don't want any creepy guy patting me down. YUCK! Or girl! No way. Scan me all the way, feels way less invasive!

poohspal
04-15-2011, 08:45 AM
We leave in 18 days and I have been wondering about this myself. I hate to have the extra radiation (especially since DH is in remission from cancer and had 28 radiation treatments) but would not want to subject DD to pat down. Hopefully we will not get picked.
Liz

brownie
04-15-2011, 09:38 AM
It's the scanner for me.

You do have to take everything out of your pockets, so it's just you and your clothes, minus your belt and shoes.

The TSA has a page with information for travelers with disabilities and medical conditions you might want to look over before your trip.

BrerGnat
04-15-2011, 09:39 AM
I'd definitely go the pat down route. I have nothing to hide and don't feel weird about it at all. I'm able to disconnect stuff like that in my head as being "professional". Sorta like when you're at the doctor.

Dulcee
04-15-2011, 09:55 AM
Since moving South I fly quite often and frankly, which ever one gets me through the line quicker is the route I go.

Did a full body scanner while traveling for a conference, with how many people they're scanning a day the last thing they have time to do is giggle over what your x-ray image shows. And the pat downs are professional, quick and are over before you have time to think about it.

Talk through the procedure ahead of time with your daughter and things should go smoothly.

MNNHFLTX
04-15-2011, 10:42 AM
Having been "randomly selected" for several pat-downs before, I think I would prefer the scanner. It's quicker, less physically invasive and would make me feel less self-conscious in front of other travelers.

Ed
04-15-2011, 10:56 AM
Have y'all checked this thread (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=180753)?

:confused:

Disney4us2
04-15-2011, 11:39 AM
Facing that dilema tonight... I prefer the scanner. Much quicker.

Ian
04-15-2011, 12:06 PM
I'd definitely go the pat down route. I have nothing to hide and don't feel weird about it at all. I'm able to disconnect stuff like that in my head as being "professional". Sorta like when you're at the doctor.This is essentially how I feel about it.

I've actually done both and I have to tell you that the "invasiveness" of the pat-downs is dramatically overstated. Never once did I feel even remotely uncomfortable or weird. In fact, I was sort of surprised it was as minimal as it was. It really was no different from what they've always done if you set the detector off or something.

What was sort of annoying to me was that both times I flew through MCO I wasn't given the option of a pat-down. They just put me right through the scanner without saying anything. I didn't even realize what was going on until essentially I was standing in the thing. I was going to ask for a pat-down instead, but the TSA agent scooted off before I could get his attention. I was sort of annoyed, because I've seen some reports that indicate those scans aren't quite as safe and benign as they're being made out to be.

luvdiznee
04-15-2011, 12:33 PM
So as long as we are not "randomly selected" we may just get to walk through. Though I'm almost sure this will not be the case for DD. Geuss I will explain both to her see if either matters to her. If I have to I would go with the pat down. Radiation stuff that I have been reading is scary.

As far as cash, if I get some traveler checks and once I get to Disney can I just cash them in? But even if I have a $100 TC, I guess if I buy something for $5, that is cashing it in. :D

BellesRose
04-15-2011, 08:05 PM
As far as cash, if I get some traveler checks and once I get to Disney can I just cash them in? But even if I have a $100 TC, I guess if I buy something for $5, that is cashing it in. :D
Can't you leave your cash in your wallet? The TSA agent shouldn't be opening that!

citizensnoopy
04-16-2011, 12:07 AM
Pat-down for me, but for a different reason --- I'm a radiologist and don't need any additional radiation exposure. :)

luvdiznee
04-16-2011, 07:47 AM
Can't you leave your cash in your wallet? The TSA agent shouldn't be opening that!

You'd think so, right? :thedolls:

DonLefNY
04-18-2011, 03:53 PM
I fly out of ALB quite often and have never been sent to a scanner (I don't even think they have one there).

princessgirls
04-19-2011, 08:52 AM
MY DH who works in the radiology field will be going for the pat down. He thinks those scanners are awful. Don't believe everything the government tells you kind of thing! I tend to think he can be a little on the dramatic side, but hey, I didn't study all of this stuff either...

Gee what a choice??? Radiating myself, or being groped. mmmm.... I think the scanner might be a better choice for myself and the girls, who are going to be horrified by the TSA worker.

Oh my...what a society we live in.
Julie:mickey:

IloveJack
04-19-2011, 09:36 AM
Although I haven't flown recently, I am also a pump-wearer, and have heard reports that pumps are not supposed to go through the scanners; plus, if they do, the scanner will see them as an "anomaly" and you'll be patted down anyhow. I know disconnecting isn't the best idea, but it's probably what I'll do the next time I fly. Just some food for thought...
Good luck, and hopefully, you and your daughter won't be selected anyhow.

PirateLover
04-19-2011, 10:20 PM
I'm opposed to both, but I'll take the pat down over the scanner. I have a number of issues with it that I won't delve into due to the Intercot policy to stay away from politics.
I will say this though, you ALWAYS have the option to ask for the pat down. If you do not want the scanner, speak up. Don't let them herd you through like sheep if you are uncomfortable. If you have a medical device, I would take the pat down and make them aware. You can even ask for a private room because they may make you lift your shirt sometimes. In most accounts I've read, people with medical devices have been subjected to the pat down after going through the scanner, so I'd just opt for the pat down.

The pat down I had wasn't so bad, but I lucked out with a very professional TSA agent for that portion. I knew that I might have to be patted down so I wore a lightweight shirt and yoga pants. I have read that if your clothes are too bulky it can take longer. The TSA agent running the scanner however was not so professional when we politely told him we would be opting for the pat down. He rolled his eyes, separated us from each other despite that being against TSA policy, and gave us disinformation. I know the radiation amount is minimal and that was discussed in the other thread, but this guy actually told us (without us giving any reason as to why we didn't want to go through) that there was NO radiation what so ever, it is IMPOSSIBLE to save the images, and he couldn't understand why we wouldn't just go through. :shrug:

princessjojo
04-20-2011, 10:55 AM
You also never know what may happen in the future which may involve additional radiation.

Last year I had neck surgery and it involved a study with fusion vs disc replacement. I got lucky and rec'd the traditional fusion but involved plate and screws that should NOT be able to be picked up by airport scanners. I actually asked my doctor about this and he explained that if an airport scanner can pick up implanted devices such as hips, knees or plates then it is turned up too strongly. Anyway, as part of the study I have a series of x-rays and MRI's every 6 months as a follow-up for the next 5 years. It's enough radiation for me, along with the radiation I come in contact with at work when they bring portable x-rays to our floors.

luvdiznee
04-28-2011, 06:44 AM
Although I haven't flown recently, I am also a pump-wearer, and have heard reports that pumps are not supposed to go through the scanners; plus, if they do, the scanner will see them as an "anomaly" and you'll be patted down anyhow. I know disconnecting isn't the best idea, but it's probably what I'll do the next time I fly. Just some food for thought...
Good luck, and hopefully, you and your daughter won't be selected anyhow.

This is exactly what we did. I had DD remove her pump right before going through security and she was able to walk right through. At first I thought the site on her body might trigger something, but it didn't.