PDA

View Full Version : how have your vacations changed over the years?

Soph and Han's Mom
04-14-2011, 10:24 AM
feel free to relocate this post if needed...not sure if this is the propper forum:thumbsup:

so as i sit here and peruse the posts preparing for our yearly trip, i was wondering how everyone's trips have evolved over the years.

i remember planning my first family trip about 11 years ago...it was such a big deal to try and get it all in, and i was a big fan of 'the resort doesn't mater because we're not even going to see the room anyway'. we didn't make too many ADR's, because we couldn't justify taking time away from the park! backpacks were jammed full of all the things we read that we would need from all of our reading. extra film in the cameras (remember film??). every minute of our day planned out!

now many years later i find that it is a much more relaxed 'resort feel' that we go for. where we stay means everything because we tend to spend less and less time at the parks...mostly hitting our faves early in the morning for a while and maybe again in the evening for a cooler visit. lots of swimming and sunning. dining is much more important too...so many great food experiences to be had! i tend to have more patience with people too...i can see that 'gotta do everything NOW' look that folks get and i laugh and let them pass me...go right ahead! frankly i'm a little greatful that i'm not that person...i can relax and enjoy myself! maybe i should change my screen name to 'mellow disney mom':mickey:

anyway...just wondering if anyone feels the same. do you get just as excited and plan like the first time, every time? or is there a true 'presonal disney evolution' for you like there was for me and my family?

azcavalier
04-14-2011, 10:44 AM
A couple of changes for us:

We drive now instead of flying. We can actually get tickets for as low as $29 a person, each way, from Roanoke, VA to Sanford. From there we rent a car (so we can hit WalMart, the outlet malls, and go to church on Sunday). But, the flights are only on Mon/Fri, so we'd go down Friday, come back Monday, and wind up missing 7 days of work (and school). Now we leave on Friday night, get there Saturday afternoon, and leave Saturday getting home Sunday. Plus tickets and car rental seems to still be more expensive than just driving 12 hours each way in our gas-guzzlin' SUV.

Also, we used to rely on Disney Transportation. Once we found out that parking was free (we always stay on-property), we starting driving to the parks. HUGE difference. Much faster getting in and out of the parks, especially at closing. Instead of waiting in a bus line with tired kids (like we did the first four trips), we can just hop in the car and we're back at the hotel in ten minutes, tops.

Besides that, we are just more relaxed. We're not worried about hitting everything. We definitely spend time swimming and shopping. I think I enjoy WDW vacations more now than when we first went. We know exactly where everything is, what to ride and when, what restaurants we don't care for, and which ones are consistently good. It's simply more relaxing.

faline
04-14-2011, 10:51 AM
When we first visited, there was only one park - the Magic Kingdom - so clearly our visits have changed over the years!

For our first visits, we drove and tent camped at Fort Wilderness. Over time, we began to fly and stay in the resorts. As parks were added, the amount of time we spent on Disney property expanded as well. In our early trips, we visited other local attractions such as Sea World, Circus World (Anyone remember that?), the wax museum, and even Busch Gardens.

Early trips focused mainly on the parks with not as much resort time. Later trips have become more relaxed.

We did eat out during the early trips but, back then, it was never necessary to have an advanced dining reservation - you simply showed up at the podium and announced you wanted to be seated. Later, we would make same day reservations when we arrived at the park of our choice. Now, our dining is planned well before our arrival.

Sunshine1010
04-14-2011, 11:28 AM
- We drive instead of fly. In 2005, I used to be able to fly for 30.00 each way per person. Now, it's almost 180.00 each way per person.

- Nothing that I do...but, how has it changed? The crowds. I can't believe how crowded it's gotten since 2005. In 2005, we walked up to every restaurant we wanted to and got seated immediately.

We're a little more relaxed since we've done so much. We don't feel the need to 'hurry up'.

MississippiDisneyFreak
04-14-2011, 11:52 AM
Only planning our fourth trip but a few things have changed.

On our first trip we never even heard of the dining plan or ADR's....we ate mostly CS for lunch and only one or two TS and we were walk ups/We didn't even know you could visit other resorts for TS...most dinners were at the McDonalds down the street from the All Stars or in the foodcourt/Now we use the dining plan and make our ADR's at 180 days out exploring resorts as well as park TS...

Only knew about the more popular rides and never went on any website not even Disney's. We viewed the monorail as a ride and not actual transportation to and from parks and resorts. Now I meticulously plan with Intercot and planners, some of my favorite rides are the most underappreciated like COP and I study transportation choices to find the best for our plans.

As far as the resorts, we do care about staying on property but we've never been able to afford Deluxe. Thanks to a 40% pin code (something new) we will be staying Deluxe level for the first time on our next trip.

Also on my upcoming trip we are going to allow my son freedom to roam the parks by himself (he will be 17) so this means a more relaxing pace for me and mom. For instance, in DHS I can only think of 3 or 4 rides or shows I care to see so the rest of the time we can browse shops and spend time just sitting back, people watching and relaxing....

iheartdisney
04-16-2011, 06:03 PM
-The crowds. I can't believe how crowded it's gotten since 2005.

We actually noticed a remarkable difference in crowds in late 2001. We had always visited WDW during "low crowd" times of the year; with the ability to walk onto most rides, eat where you want, when you want. That all seemed to change after 9/11. When talking to a cast member about it a year later, he agreed and told us that the latest data showed that more and more guests were taking kids out of school and vacationing when prices were at the value level. The discrepancy between high volume times and low was getting less distinct.

DizneyRox
04-16-2011, 09:39 PM
Overall trips haven't changed much... We used to rent a car, but found that we were wasting money. We don't do the rental car anymore. This stopped before 9/11.

We have been getting APs since like mid 90's or so as we would go 4 or 5 times a year. This was when a renewal was just like a normal AP. When they artefacts to just extend the AP, we stopped with the renewals. We still get an AP, but we use our DVC discount, which makes cheaper than going with MYW tickets.

We have stopped the 4 or 5 trips a year, just nothing new to keep us coming back.

Our spending habits have changed though. We would drop a thousand or more easily in DTD, but now with all the generic merchandise, we might spend $100. We probably spend less on food too, since the popularity of the dining plans, we noticed a decrease in menu quality and offerings. We now do a lot of meals in our room, and also a lot more time at the resorts.

So, we spend considerably less these days I think, and while the lenght of our trips have remained the same, the number has fallen off drastically; from four to five a year, ten years ago to a big zero this year.

Ilovemesomedisneymom
04-17-2011, 04:42 AM
We use the drive from Indiana, which would take 2 days there and 2 days back. Stay offsite at my Dads to save money and only go for two days. I felt I never really felt I got the whole Disney experience.

Stayed on site for the first time in 1997 but still didn't get the "Disney" thrill as we were on my mom's schedule. Then in 2002 I flew down, which only took 2 hours, meet my mom and stepdad who was so kind to bring my 2 sons with them in their van. Let just say they weren't too happy with me. LOL. Stayed onsite again but still didn't get the "Disney" thrill as there were 21 us. First time we all have been together in 6 years. Everything was on my mom's schedule again.

In 2005, I decided I was going to take charge and plan a vacation myself with my two sons. So on the plane we went (they were thrilled and swore they would never drive down again), got on the Magical express, and straight to WDW we went. Stayed onsite at Allstar Movies and for the very first time I actually experience the true "Disney" thrill. So much we did it again in 2006 for my oldest son's HS grad. present from me.

It wouldn't be til 2010 we would plan a "Disney" trip. But this time we choose to go to Disneyland. We flew into John Wayne airport, hop on their Magical Express (which by the way cost you for each person) and off to the resort we went. We stayed at Pardaise Pier which had a view of DCA. Everything was within walking distance so no hoping on buses. It's definately was a difference feeling.

Now 21 days from now, I will be celebrating Mother's day with my youngest, who is 21, at Magic Kingdom. We are staying onsite at Pop.

I can't wait, even though I was at Disneyland last year, it wasn't the same as WDW.

If everything goes as plan, I will be living in Florida by 2015 and be working at Disney. If not working there, I will have my annual pass and will be visiting once a month.

As I tell my co-workers, when I walk thru the gates and I'm standing there looking down Main Street staring at the Castle, I say to myself, I truly am at the Happest Place on Earth. I have a smile on my face 24/7.

21 days and counting:mickey:

Dsnygirl
04-17-2011, 06:06 AM
I just had to post... I am so like the OP, and have watched our trips change quite a bit!

Our first trip with our girls was in '06, and thankfully, I had discovered this site in '05 and it saved us... I had SO much fun planning and learning everything about the whole Disney experience. I'd only stayed off-site prior to that trip, and had never had more than a few days in the parks, so this was all knew to me/us.

The next couple of trips were the same... lots of planning, right down to the nitty gritty each day of when we'd be where, what we wanted to see & not miss, what transportation was the quickest to get us place to place... I had a little notebook that I kept all our info in, although I confess to not using it all that much once we arrived.... :blush:

But our last trip was much more relaxed... part of it is probably b/c each trip has gotten longer, so we don't feel the need to rush & fit as much in... but also b/c we've seen and done the biggest stuff, and are now enjoying just taking it all in, and fitting in a few things that are new to us each trip. We enjoy our TS meals so much and all the new food experiences... we enjoy our resort time and don't feel the need to get up at the crack of dawn to hit every park at the opening bell.

Our next trip is in August, and we're planning to take it even slower... partly b/c of the anticipated heat... :sun: ... but also just b/c we truly want to relax more and not feel as tired as you can make yourself by trying to fit in too much, too fast. Some of the most enjoyable memories I have are of times we were just sitting back and taking it all in... people watching, hanging with our DD's and just being together. Can't wait to see what our trips will be like 10 years from now! :)

kemps@wdw
04-17-2011, 11:39 PM
I still get just as excited with the planning. We still get just as excited counting down the days til we are on our way. And we still get goosebumps looking down Main St @ the castle as we did on the 1st day when we did the same thing back in 1980, and on our DD's 1st trip in 1998. The feelings are still the same. I would say the only thing that has changed is our pace. Our DD is older (and unfortunately so are we). So, we don't feel it necessary to go "commando". And certainly where we stay, dining options, and taking time to enjoy the things we missed over the years, are more important.

Ramblingman
04-18-2011, 03:58 PM
Now 21 days from now, I will be celebrating Mother's day with my youngest, who is 21, at Magic Kingdom. We are staying onsite at Pop.

Here's hoping you have the merriest time. Sounds as if you will.

I can't wait, even though I was at Disneyland last year, it wasn't the same as WDW.

That is the truth. We went once to DL, did not rush, and saw everything by mid afternoon.

If everything goes as plan, I will be living in Florida by 2015 and be working at Disney. If not working there, I will have my annual pass and will be visiting once a month.

Good plan. We may do the same. I grew up less than an hour away and would move back if I can just talk my wife into it.

As I tell my co-workers, when I walk thru the gates and I'm standing there looking down Main Street staring at the Castle, I say to myself, I truly am at the Happest Place on Earth. I have a smile on my face 24/7.

And it never gets old.

Ramblingman
04-18-2011, 04:05 PM
Our trips have changed somewhat. We have had AP's over the years, when we lived in FL, but no longer.

We've always driven, so that hasn't changed. But we used to always drive to my mom's in Tampa, spend the night and get up real early and put the still-sleeping kids in the car so that they would wake up in the parking lot at MK. Can't do that anymore now that they are 19 and 21. :D

As for the planning, we pretty much have always planned our stays. We don't chart every single move, but we plan what park, where to eat, and those types of major things.

We used to go back to the room for a rest in the hottest part of the day for the kids. Now it'll likely be more for us. :thumbsup:

Overall, the way we approach the stay has not changed that much, other than some of the details.

How much can you change Happy? :mickey:

BrerGnat
04-18-2011, 07:07 PM
We spend A LOT of time at the resorts now. Probably more than 50% of our WDW vacation is spent out of the parks. We no longer stay Value or Moderate (did that MANY times in the past). When we used to be younger, and theme park commandos, the Values and Mods were a great place to stay. Now, though, it's Deluxe or nothing. DH insists on Concierge for trips that include our kids. He likes the ease of it all, the convenience of the food in the lounge, and feeling pampered.

We skip a lot of attractions. We ride what we feel like, and have no remorse if a ride has a wait time that is too long. On that note, we just don't wait longer than 30 min for any ride.

We don't really see shows anymore. We've seen them all, and realize that they are just not really our thing. Also, our kids have sensory issues and don't like the shows. Unless that changes, I think I'm done with the stage shows for a LONG time.

Now that we bring our kids, it's mostly all about them. We go on their pace, do what they want. We just let them enjoy themselves and are happy when they are.

princessjojo
04-18-2011, 07:40 PM
My very first trip was a long, boring car ride with me and my 2 sisters cramped in the backseat of the station wagon with a cooler, prepared foods, a pillow or two and games to keep us occupied (with 5 of us, the back of the wagon was stuffed). We hurried around MK, headed back to what was probably a chain hotel in Kissimmee, and at the end of the weekend, we began that long, dreaded trip back to home.

There have been 2 other car "excursions" since then, all of which I'm sure could have been classified as a sin in some way because they were so horrible, stayed off site, and again hurried through the park and at that time EPCOT.

Today, I choose to be the better parent and not subject my children to that torture. We have graduated from flying with one connection to nonstop, from moderates to DVC, and from 5 days to 8-10 days. We also don't spend nearly as much on "stuff" once we get there. This trip, we have about 450 Disney points and I'm struggling trying to decide how to spend them before the expire. Having teenagers, we still spend the majority of our time at the parks, but we don't rush to get there, swim during the afternoons and spend late nights at the parks. It's much more enjoyable this way, but I think I'll keep making changes as we grow older.

BWayGrl
04-20-2011, 05:18 PM
I started going to Disney in 1991 when I was 5 years old. For the first few years, it was a family trip - my mom, dad and brother. After that, my dad realized it wasn't his thing, so just my mom, brother and I would go. In 2000, my parents got divorced, and my brother was already living on his own, so my mom and I started going by ourselves which was great mother/daughter bonding time. She kind of passed the Disney torch onto me. She used to plan out the days and where we would stay and everything like that, but I kind of took that over. My brother still goes with his partner, and I have gone with my fiance. Unfortunately, my mom has been a little financially strapped so she hasn't been in a while. But we're hoping to get another good old fashioned family trip together soon! This year though I will be going with my fiance and his daughter, so that will be a little different. So I guess the evolution for me would be the people I go with and my role in the planning process (I am master planner now, so everyone looks to me for advice :mickey:)

Soph and Han's Mom
04-20-2011, 07:41 PM
interesting to see all the different responses!

makes me wonder if my children will take THEIR children to wdw...and if they do, how their trips will evolve...since they have been exposed to the way we, their parents, travel. will they start off 'green' and plan like crazy with their own families or will they take a more relaxed approach?

only time will tell:mickey:

TheVBs
04-21-2011, 04:56 PM
Planning!! That's probably our biggest change. DH used to resist the idea of planning, wanted to just wing it every day and we had a lot of moments where we were just standing there doing the "What do you want to do next? I don't know, what do you want to do next?" thing. Lots of wasted time. Now we get so much more in and are actually more relaxed because we have a plan.

We've also slowly inched up from 4-5 day trips to 9-10 days.

disneydeb
04-22-2011, 04:57 PM
Vacation time has increased, we needed to to see the parks... I'm not going to water parks anymore.
I move slower and use a scooter.
This year my two daughters and their spouses will go with us and we have a couple of grandkids going along. Where we used to rent one room, now we need 3!!
I don't ride teacups anymore and this will be my first trip not to ride Rock n' Roller coaster, or maybe I will just before I leave.;)

MarkC
04-22-2011, 09:24 PM
First trip was with kids who were 6 and 3. Only 4 days and it was ride, ride, ride. This year it will be just my wife and me for the first trip, and it will be eat, eat, eat. Ok we'll be healthy about it, but its a much more relaxing trip. Even as the kids got older we did a lot more swimming and water parks, etc.

The trips are all different but all awesome!!

AllDisney
04-24-2011, 01:17 PM
Our first trip was the only time we ever stayed off property. When we first started going we'd wake in the morning decide what part to visit that day. We'd get to the park, walk up to the podium & make our reservation for that night. Boy, those days are gone for sure.

We still spend as much time as we can at the parks. It's just DH & myself now, but every so often I do a mother-daughter trip. She was addicted early to WDW magic:thumbsup:

We now use Magical Journeys for all our trips. They are amazing:party:

tinksmom02
04-24-2011, 03:34 PM
Our first trip, in 2004, was prior to me knowing how much planning you needed! We drove from NJ (never again!), only had a few ADRs (and made them the night before), and didn't plan around the MNSSHP MK-closings well enough.

Our next trip was uber-structured, and we rented a car (last time for that). Trips since then, we've relied completely on Disney transportation, and are happy to do so. I've also gotten much more relaxed with my planning--our last trip's itinerary for each day simply listed park hours, and our ADRs for that day. For our upcoming trip, in November, I can make ADRs in just a couple weeks, but haven't really even gotten into planning mode yet (gasp!).

Disney-4-Me
04-25-2011, 12:07 PM
We started with a day trip and our trips from then on started getting longer and longer until we stayed for ten days. We've done some crazy things trying to get the best bang for our buck.

One year because of our late arrival we stayed at Pop Century the 1st night then moved to the Polynesian for the next 5 nights then stayed at the All Star Movies for our last night.

I used to spend hours and hours trying to find out the best deals, refurbishment schedules etc. Now I just do my research on Intercot and let Magical Journeys find the best deals for my trip.

AgentP
04-25-2011, 02:04 PM
When my husband I started going to Disney we were married there, had our honeymoon there and a couple of trips with just the two of us. We focused on relaxation, staying Deluxe, and where we wanted to eat. We spent a lot of time at Epcot. Now, we have two little ones and our trips are about watching them have fun. We are planning our next trip to ASM (DS 3 is a big Toy Story fan) and we are focused on how to save money and still have fun for the kids! We also know that the kids will have more fun eating a pizza in our hotel room than behaving in a restaurant:D

TiggerDeb
04-25-2011, 02:34 PM
I agree that our trips have also changed over the years. First time we went, was just my husband and I. From then on we went every 2 yrs with our 2 sons. Once they hit college, we went alone, always in the Spring, always on property, spending more time in the parks and enjoying it a little less because the kids were not with us. Now, we go every year and we go with our sons, their families and our wonderful grandsons. We get to see things from their eyes and it makes it even more special and we go in September now because it is less crowded even though just as hot and we do parks in the morning and spend time in the afternoon in the pool with the grandchildren and back to a park at night. 137 days to go and we are back at the place of Magic...:mickey: