PDA

View Full Version : Information for June Trip to DisneyLand!!

clausjo
04-13-2011, 10:12 AM
This will be our first trip to DL :party: and I'm having trouble finding some of the information I've been looking for. So, naturally, I'm looking to the great resource that is Intercot! :rocks: Here are my questions:

1. We're booked at the Candy Cane Inn, which has great reviews here and every where else I've looked. It will be just me and my kids (11 and 8). I know we can walk to/from the park, but I'm wondering about safety. Is the area well travelled and well lit?

2. Is the World of Color dinner package (or whatever it's called) worth it? I've read that you have to stand for the show and would like to get as close to the front as possible. I'm only 5'2", DD is about 46" even though she's almost 9 and my DS is almost my height. Not a bunch of giants if you know what I mean. Anyway, I figured this may be the best we to get a front or near front spot. Any comments or suggestions on watching the show are very welcome.

3. When do the schedules for the shows come out? As of now, I can only see the hours through 6/7, but there's nothing listed for fireworks, parades, etc.

4. We'll be there for my 40th (a few weeks early). Do they give out birthday buttons like they do at WDW? Normally, I don't make a big deal about my birthday, but it's a big one and I'd like to celebrate as much as possible with my kids.

Any other first time in the Land advice is very, very much welcome. Maybe it's because the parks are smaller, but there just doesn't seem to be as much information out there as there is for the World.

Thanks to all of my Intercot friends, you guys are the best!

tinkwest
04-13-2011, 12:16 PM
1. The walkway to and from Candy Cane is fine for families. And don't forget they have their own shuttle if you prefer.

2. I wouldn't spend the money for the dinner package again. Our view was lousy. I had a better view when I purchased the picnic package. The best bet is to get there early. And when you read on your ticket that you will not be allowed to enter the area until a certain time, don't believe it. Each time I've seen it people are let in quite a bit earlier than the tickets/fastpasses say.

3. Disneyland scheduling leaves something to be desired. You will be lucky to find hours and/or entertainment schedules any farther ahead than about two months, if that.

4. Go to City Hall on Main Street in Disneyland to receive a birthday button and a special phone call from a special friend.

BrerGnat
04-13-2011, 12:32 PM
I can't speak for the WoC dinner packages, but I had a VERY hard time seeing the show (we used the FP system). Granted, we showed up kinda late (about 20 min prior to show time), and we were one row back from the railing, but everyone in front of us was taller! We are short too; I'm 5'2" and my DH is 5'4". We saw enough, but really, it would have been better to be up closer to the lagoon. GET THERE EARLY!!

Show times/entertainment schedules vary and they don't post them too soon. However, if you will be visiting during the summer, you can be assured there will be a couple WoC shows nightly, possibly 2 Fantasmic Shows, and Fireworks every night. Fireworks are usually at 9:25pm in the summer. Fantasmic is usually at 9pm and 11pm (sometimes 10:30pm). World of Color is the one that varies the most.

You can actually get a birthday button at most gift shops as well as at City Hall. Many cashiers at the stores have a box full of different kinds of buttons at the register, so you will definitely be able to get a button and celebrate! :party:

If you have any other questions, just ask! We're trying to build up the Disneyland part of these boards, and asking questions is a great way to get that information out there on the boards!

clausjo
04-13-2011, 03:31 PM
Thanks so much for the answers. I'm sure I'll have many other questions before we go!

clausjo
04-14-2011, 01:32 PM
Okay, a couple of more questions.

1. Can you ride in the front of the monorail? I've read a couple of trip reports on other boards that say you can, but I know in WDW you still can't.

2. What can I expect for weather for the first week of June? I know we'll need light jackets in the evening, but do you think we'll be able to swim during the day if we have time? What about rain?

That's all I can think of for now, I'm sure they'll be more.

Disney4us2
04-14-2011, 03:07 PM
As far as I know, you can still ride up front on the Monorail. We did it a few months back.

As for the weather in June. It can range from cool to very hot. Usually it is overcast, almost drizzly or misty in the mornings clearing to sun around noon. They call it June Gloom. It also cools off again in the evening. Lightweight jackets or sweatshirts would probably be in order.:thumbsup:

BrerGnat
04-14-2011, 05:23 PM
Definitely yes on riding in the front of the monorail. People here aren't so fanatical about it either, so if you ask, chances are you'll be the only family interested in that. The front cab can accommodate 6 guests. Also, you can ride in the rear cab (I call it the "tail"). There is no driver in there, but the car is cone shaped and has cool windows.

June is usually cold and drizzly/foggy every morning until about 10-11am, when it burns off. A light jacket or layers would be good for the mornings and evenings. It could be hot or not. Last year, we had a really cold summer. It never really got much hotter than the low 80's for much of the summer. It will definitely be good enough for swimming though, because the pools are always heated (at least at DLR hotels, they are). Also, since the sun in CA is pretty strong, it feels hotter than it actually is much of the time. I just spent the morning at Disneyland and it's only about 75, but it felt HOT in the sun!