PDA

View Full Version : Was looking for ID bracelets and came across some interesting info

LisaP
04-13-2011, 09:45 AM
SafetyTat website has a section for child safety tips and links that I found to be great information.

Also, regarding use of writing on skin with Sharpies: "According to the manufacturer's safety data sheets (MSDS), various Sharpies contain: n-propanol, n-butanol, diacetone alcohol, xylene, and cresol. The first of these, n-propanol, is commonly used in cosmetics. The other four, however, are industrial solvents, chemicals that should not be sniffed, eaten, or put on the skin. As solvents they penetrate the skin and fingernails, and do enter the bloodstream."

MNNHFLTX
04-13-2011, 11:48 AM
This does not surprise me. When you take the cap off of a Sharpie, it gives off a pretty potent chemical smell. Were some people advocating writing on their children's skin with a Sharpie as a safety tip?

joonyer
04-13-2011, 11:56 AM
Unless you are trying to paint your whole body with a marker, or have some extreme allergy or sensitivity, I don't think you have anything to worry about. People get ink from markers on their fingers all the time when using them, and I've never heard of anyone dying or getting sick from exposure to the ink. And millions of people use markers every day. Prolonged sniffing would probably get you high, though.

You are much more likely to get ill from exposure to other human beings and their germs at WDW anywhere else for that matter.

LisaP
04-13-2011, 12:01 PM
You are much more likely to get ill from exposure to other human beings and their germs at WDW anywhere else for that matter.

Amen to that!

I have seen people at WDW write phone numbers on their child's arm in Sharpie. I personally agree in not thinking it is that big of a deal, others may.

kakn7294
04-13-2011, 04:50 PM
While it's probably true that most people won't get sick from getting ink on their skin, we must also remember that children are not little adults and their reactions to the same level of toxins can sometimes be much more serious or even fatal. Why take the chance?

MNNHFLTX
04-13-2011, 05:16 PM
We used to mark IV bags at a hospital where I worked with permanent markers, until a study showed that they ink actually seeps through the plastic IV bag and could potentially contaminate the IV solution. So putting it on someone's skin doesn't sound like the best idea to me.

azcavalier
04-17-2011, 09:50 AM
My DW is a surgeon. She says that hospitals use markers on skin all the time, Sharpies and other. All surgical sites MUST be marked by the patient AND the surgeon to prevent wrong site surgery. They also draw incision lines, particularly in plastic surgery. If a patient has an infection that may be expanding, the red is outlined and dated and left on for several days to judge response to treatment. These are all obviously permanent markers, and are used on kids, too, with no harm.

princessjojo
04-18-2011, 10:11 AM
We use sharpies in our hospital all the time. We do have surgical site markers, but the ink tends to wash away when they prep the skin for surgery.

I do know that even if there is a 1:100000 chance of a reaction or adverse effect, the company must, by law, state that risk on their MSDS sheets, but stating this doesn't necessarily mean this will happen. Its the same a vaseline/petroleum jelly carrying a warning on its MSDS sheets that it's flammable.