PDA

View Full Version : Most 'out-of-place' place @ WDW?

McLiberal8
04-12-2011, 02:55 PM
I think everyone has a resort/part of a park/area that they think seems out of place in Walt Disney World.
Mine would have to be the Hester and Chester's carnival thing at AK. I think Disney is way above cheesy carnival games and badly themed rides and coasters.
What about you?

caryrae
04-12-2011, 03:32 PM
Mine is Tomorrowland Speedway in Tomorrowland. Seems weird to have a race track in the land that's about the future.

White Rose
04-12-2011, 03:57 PM
I'd have to say the large dinosaur over in DHS...I think it's a ice cream shop or something?

I remember in my trip in January, my friend and I were walking by it and I was just utterly confused about why it was there. Unless, of course, it's some famous piece of Hollywood history that escapes me. That's always a possibility. :blush:

And Camp Mickey-Minnie over in AK...that entire area just really confuses me. There's gotta be a better name of a place for character meet and greets!

Momto3littlemice
04-12-2011, 04:01 PM
Dino-land is definitely mine. That whole carnival theme is horrible! Having said that I have wondered about that strange dino ice cream shop at DHS many times. too funny!!:mickey:

big blue and hairy
04-12-2011, 04:05 PM
Chester & Hester actually have a back story, which I've related before. I'm not certain about this, but isn't the dino ice cream shop in DHS a replica from LA?

:sulley:

Polynesian Dweller
04-12-2011, 04:05 PM
I'd have to say the large dinosaur over in DHS...I think it's a ice cream stop or something?

I remember in my trip in January, my friend and I were walking by it and I was just utterly confused about why it was there. Unless, of course, it's some famous piece of Hollywood history that escapes me. That's always a possibility. :blush:

That's exactly what it is. It's Gertie from a 1914 Winsor McCay cartoon that is considered to be the first with an appealing personality and is listed as #6 on the most important cartoons of all time. All previous cartoons were considered to be trick films. As such, it is an important part of Hollywood history and definitely belongs in DHS. There is a plaque either on or near Gertie and you can read more in Wikipedia.

McLiberal8
04-12-2011, 04:06 PM

I think I remember hearing that 'Gertie the Dinosaur' was the first animated character ever. Still, very obscure, not well known, and I think to 99% of guests, very confusing as to why it's there! :P

wdwaggie
04-12-2011, 04:10 PM
I'd have to say the large dinosaur over in DHS...I think it's a ice cream stop or something?

I'm thinking that maybe this is a nod to the Le Brea Tar Pits??

DizneyRox
04-12-2011, 04:25 PM
Mine would have to be the Hester and Chester's carnival thing at AK. I think Disney is way above cheesy carnival games and badly themed rides and coasters.

Here's the best write up I could find on the backstory in three minutes.

So as the story goes, there are three very different groups of people whose presence can be found in DinoLand, which accounts for some of the confusion: The scientists, their interns, and the locals.

DinoLand (official name: Diggs County) was little more than a stretch of two-lane highway along Florida’s Route 498 (named for the date of Animal Kingdom’s grand opening, April, 1998). The whole area consisted of farmland, an old fishing lodge, and a run-down gas station owned and operated by two locals named–you guessed it–Chester and Hester.

Well back in 1947 (also the year Disney released “Fun and Fancy Free”), a few amateur fossil-hunters found some dinosaur bones in the area. This produced much scientific interest in Diggs County, and soon archeologists and researchers were flocking to the dig site. The findings were so substantial, that The Dino Institute was formed. The Institute bought out all of the surrounding land (except Chester and Hester’s, they wouldn’t sell), and set up headquarters in the old fishing lodge.

Over time, the Institute gained notoriety and funding, and added on to the lodge, albeit somewhat haphazardly. Chester and Hester, wanting in on the money being made, turned their service station into a souvenir store, erecting signs along the highway to trap the tourists heading to the Institute.

As the Dino Institute grew, it became clear that the dilapidated lodge just wasn’t feasible as a base anymore. They built a brand new building, much more modern and able to equip the machinery needed for their research. This paid off, and soon the Institute was able to announce it’s crowning discovery: Time travel. To help pay for it’s expenses, they started offering time travelling tours (you can even take this tour yourself, in the ride “Dinosaur.” Don’t worry. What could possibly go wrong?)

The old fishing lodge didn’t go to waste, either. It was converted into a cafeteria and lounge for the interns and grad students assisting at the Institute. These young interns are the pranksters responsible for adding “osaurus” at the end of all of the area’s signs (including the lodge itself, called the “Restaurantosaurus,” a counter service dining option).

With the ever-growing influx of tourists, Chester and Hester did not want to be outdone. They set up a carnival and midway area in their remaining land, across the road from the gas station. “Chester and Hester’s Dino-Rama” is advertised for miles down the highway, reminiscent of the hokey roadside tourist attractions of the 1950s. It features a couple of corny-yet-highly-entertaining rides, including Primeval Whirl, Chester and Hester’s own mocking version of the Dino Institute’s time tours.

However, I agree, it's the most out of place location in WDW IMHO. I think the backstory was created around the location, not the other way around. AK has always been the red headed step child, I can't imagine this is any different.

I imagine the conversation going something like this.

Suit A: Why are people leaving our newest theme park before noon! It costs a lot of money to feed those animals even when people aren't there you know! They aren't spending money if they aren't in the park!
Suit B: According to exit surveys, people are done with everything a couple hours after they arrive. You're the one who cut out Beastly Kingdom, which would have been a whole new land, instead it's a character meet and greet.
Suit A: That's not it! Stop with the lousy excuses. You better fix this immediately! I want my bonus this year!
Suit B: OK sir, we'll see what we can come up with.
Suit B scurries off to find an answer and read in the paper that the local carnival went belly up and hatches a plan. He visits the local university to get some cheap interns, feeds them McDonalds for a week and comes back with an idea a few days later.
Suit A: Hey that's a great idea! The rides only cost how much? Legal won't go for the bumper car ride, too many injuries and we can't have that. Everything else sounds great, and telling people it's supposed to look cheesy on purpose is GENUIS I tell you, glad I thought of it! Stick with me kid!

McLiberal8
04-12-2011, 04:33 PM
I think the backstory was created around the location, not the other way around.

I agree. When I am walking around Animal Kingdom, I frequently get the feeling of rushed attractions and a badly planned layout. I hope someday I can feel comfortable in that park, and the imagineers can fix the messier things that are evident. A closing of Dinorama and opening of Beastly Kingdom would be a great start ;)

cuteduck223
04-12-2011, 04:39 PM
i think chester and hester is more out of place because it costs money to be hokey. i think it would be super funny (with the backstory) if that stuff was free, or maybe was like a quarter. even if they didnt give out prizes or whatever.

crazygoalie39
04-12-2011, 04:39 PM
I would agree with the Dino Land area of AK. I always have thought that part of the park was not to Disney standards.

olivegirl
04-12-2011, 05:29 PM
I have to agree with Hester and Chester's carnival at AK also!!!! What were they thinking!!! I deal with it because my daughter still loves it there!!

JPL
04-12-2011, 07:37 PM
I think Soarin at the Land Pavillion is the most out of place attraction in WDW and Epcot in general since it's located in Future World and is based on hang gliding which has nothing to do with the future. The theme of flying over California has nothing to do with the other attractions in the Pavillion at all. Not to mention the bad show of not hiding the building from the views from World Showcase!

BrerSchultzy
04-12-2011, 08:08 PM
I think Soarin at the Land Pavillion is the most out of place attraction in WDW and Epcot in general since it's located in Future World and is based on hang gliding which has nothing to do with the future. The theme of flying over California has nothing to do with the other attractions in the Pavillion at all. Not to mention the bad show of not hiding the building from the views from World Showcase!

I think the premise of environmental responsibility that the Land represents kind of helps fit the idea of Soarin' in, but you're right about not hiding the building.

And I kind of like Chester & Hester's. Especially after eating at Restaurantosaurus and reading all the notes that the students have left on the walls.

As for me, the most out of place thing has to be the Swan and the Dolphin. So hideous and distracting.

And I suppose I have to throw a vote in for Pizza Planet being across the park from Pixar Place.

wdwfansince75
04-13-2011, 09:03 AM
I have to agree with Hester and Chester's carnival at AK also!!!! What were they thinking!!! I deal with it because my daughter still loves it there!!

Sort of like the philosophy..."Nobody goes there anymore...It's too crowded." As with the Speedway ride at MK, it's there because it has an audience....The back story connects it to the park...Better back story than other apparent disconnects in other parks...

I happen to enjoy the whole cluster...we spent more time there when Donald's Breakfastasaurus was still there, but whole family (except DW) loves the rides....

As for the speedway, it's position in Tomorrowland is appropriate...for 36 years, I have watched all those preteens and teens, and said to myself, "O My God, those are our future leaders!" Not too many years until the person with the speaking role in HOP will be a graduate of the Speedway.

luvDaMouse
04-13-2011, 09:15 AM
Another vote for Swan and Dolphin... ruins my pictures of the Boardwalk seeing those huge things peeking up behind it. Not a big fan and they seem so out of place. :confused:

Kaps
04-13-2011, 09:16 AM
Completely agree we walk right through this to get to dinosaur. I wish we didn't have to. Feels like we are Six Flags going through this part of the park. I can only hope this is a one time thing and they don't repeat it elswhere :ack:

nfrustaci
04-13-2011, 12:22 PM
Here's the best write up I could find on the backstory in three minutes.

So as the story goes, there are three very different groups of people whose presence can be found in DinoLand, which accounts for some of the confusion: The scientists, their interns, and the locals.

DinoLand (official name: Diggs County) was little more than a stretch of two-lane highway along Florida’s Route 498 (named for the date of Animal Kingdom’s grand opening, April, 1998). The whole area consisted of farmland, an old fishing lodge, and a run-down gas station owned and operated by two locals named–you guessed it–Chester and Hester.

Well back in 1947 (also the year Disney released “Fun and Fancy Free”), a few amateur fossil-hunters found some dinosaur bones in the area. This produced much scientific interest in Diggs County, and soon archeologists and researchers were flocking to the dig site. The findings were so substantial, that The Dino Institute was formed. The Institute bought out all of the surrounding land (except Chester and Hester’s, they wouldn’t sell), and set up headquarters in the old fishing lodge.

Over time, the Institute gained notoriety and funding, and added on to the lodge, albeit somewhat haphazardly. Chester and Hester, wanting in on the money being made, turned their service station into a souvenir store, erecting signs along the highway to trap the tourists heading to the Institute.

As the Dino Institute grew, it became clear that the dilapidated lodge just wasn’t feasible as a base anymore. They built a brand new building, much more modern and able to equip the machinery needed for their research. This paid off, and soon the Institute was able to announce it’s crowning discovery: Time travel. To help pay for it’s expenses, they started offering time travelling tours (you can even take this tour yourself, in the ride “Dinosaur.” Don’t worry. What could possibly go wrong?)

The old fishing lodge didn’t go to waste, either. It was converted into a cafeteria and lounge for the interns and grad students assisting at the Institute. These young interns are the pranksters responsible for adding “osaurus” at the end of all of the area’s signs (including the lodge itself, called the “Restaurantosaurus,” a counter service dining option).

With the ever-growing influx of tourists, Chester and Hester did not want to be outdone. They set up a carnival and midway area in their remaining land, across the road from the gas station. “Chester and Hester’s Dino-Rama” is advertised for miles down the highway, reminiscent of the hokey roadside tourist attractions of the 1950s. It features a couple of corny-yet-highly-entertaining rides, including Primeval Whirl, Chester and Hester’s own mocking version of the Dino Institute’s time tours.

However, I agree, it's the most out of place location in WDW IMHO. I think the backstory was created around the location, not the other way around. AK has always been the red headed step child, I can't imagine this is any different.

I imagine the conversation going something like this.

Suit A: Why are people leaving our newest theme park before noon! It costs a lot of money to feed those animals even when people aren't there you know! They aren't spending money if they aren't in the park!
Suit B: According to exit surveys, people are done with everything a couple hours after they arrive. You're the one who cut out Beastly Kingdom, which would have been a whole new land, instead it's a character meet and greet.
Suit A: That's not it! Stop with the lousy excuses. You better fix this immediately! I want my bonus this year!
Suit B: OK sir, we'll see what we can come up with.
Suit B scurries off to find an answer and read in the paper that the local carnival went belly up and hatches a plan. He visits the local university to get some cheap interns, feeds them McDonalds for a week and comes back with an idea a few days later.
Suit A: Hey that's a great idea! The rides only cost how much? Legal won't go for the bumper car ride, too many injuries and we can't have that. Everything else sounds great, and telling people it's supposed to look cheesy on purpose is GENUIS I tell you, glad I thought of it! Stick with me kid!

very informative dizneyrox !!! and yes you do rox !!! the last part was HIGHLY AMUZING..... KEEP IT UP, I LOVE IT

BrerGnat
04-13-2011, 12:56 PM
I'm not sure why, but I've always felt that the area in World Showcase that is supposed to be Africa (?) is just really weird, and seems completely out of place in the rest of World Showcase. I mean, it' not even a whole pavilion, but every time I walk through there, I can't help but wonder why it's there. Couldn't they have just expanded the other pavilions until the transition was more seamless?

KatieDuck22
04-13-2011, 01:52 PM
Yeah i agree about the little bit of Africa in the world showcase is sort of out of place. I know there are huge Michael Jackson fans out there, but i think the whole captain EO thing is kind of strange and not fitting.

BandMan
04-13-2011, 01:54 PM
I'm not sure why, but I've always felt that the area in World Showcase that is supposed to be Africa (?) is just really weird, and seems completely out of place in the rest of World Showcase. I mean, it' not even a whole pavilion, but every time I walk through there, I can't help but wonder why it's there. Couldn't they have just expanded the other pavilions until the transition was more seamless?

I agree. It's also sad that, with the exception of Morocco, an entire diverse continent with a very long and interesting history is represented by a sort-of pavillion. I think it's pretty insulting to those cultures. Can you imagine smooshing all of the European cultures together and representing them as one thing? :nope:

BrerGnat
04-13-2011, 02:06 PM
I agree. It's also sad that, with the exception of Morocco, an entire diverse continent with a very long and interesting history is represented by a sort-of pavillion. I think it's pretty insulting to those cultures. Can you imagine smooshing all of the European cultures together and representing them as one thing? :nope:

Well, they DO have some representation in Animal Kingdom. Maybe that's supposed to make up for it. ;)

McLiberal8
04-13-2011, 02:15 PM

It's only the birthplace of the human race! What more do you want? :P

Really, though, they probably figure that AK is as much a nod to Africa as anything. Maybe they will use this space for another country, eventually?

PrettyMinnie
04-13-2011, 03:23 PM
It's only the birthplace of the human race! What more do you want? :P

Really, though, they probably figure that AK is as much a nod to Africa as anything. Maybe they will use this space for another country, eventually?

I would still like to see some representation of Africa in WS besides the odd African Outpost. AK is more about the animals (obviously) but Africa has a lot of culture/food that would do well in WS. What I don't understand about the African Outpost in WS is that they only sell ice cream and root beer floats :confused:

DizneyRox
04-13-2011, 03:31 PM
I would still like to see some representation of Africa in WS besides the odd African Outpost. AK is more about the animals (obviously) but Africa has a lot of culture/food that would do well in WS. What I don't understand about the African Outpost in WS is that they only sell ice cream and root beer floats :confused:
I think it's just another place to sell the authentic African crafts outside of AK. Many folks skip AK, so having another "booth" setup to pull money from guests is probably more the reason for having it there.

Jared
04-13-2011, 05:07 PM
At least Morocco's there! Have you seen any South American representation anywhere in Walt Disney World? I sure haven't, not in World Showcase or Animal Kingdom.

catkrazy
04-13-2011, 05:57 PM
I know I will probably get blasted for saying this but to me it is those granite blocks with people's photos at the entrance to Epcot. I know why they are there but it has just always looked so weird to me like "what the heck is this!". Something about the way it looks just never fit right to me, sorry>:confused:

Melanie
04-13-2011, 06:09 PM
I know I will probably get blasted for saying this but to me it is those granite blocks with people's photos at the entrance to Epcot. I know why they are there but it has just always looked so weird to me like "what the heck is this!". Something about the way it looks just never fit right to me, sorry>:confused:

Oh yeah, that's a good one that I think a lot of people will agree with. There have been rumblings that they are being removed, but nothing official yet.

BandMan
04-13-2011, 06:37 PM
catkrazy
I know I will probably get blasted for saying this but to me it is those granite blocks with people's photos at the entrance to Epcot. I know why they are there but it has just always looked so weird to me like "what the heck is this!". Something about the way it looks just never fit right to me, sorry>

I won't blast you - I totally agree. You now enter EPCOT by walking through a mausoleum. :confused: The flowers and trees were MUCH nicer.

crltkcagle
04-13-2011, 08:13 PM
I think everyone has a resort/part of a park/area that they think seems out of place in Walt Disney World.
What about you?
I COULDN'T AGREE MORE! It really cheapens Disney World.

LovinWDW
04-13-2011, 11:15 PM
Has to be the stand selling fried ice cream in the American Adventure.:confused:

AXOAlum
04-14-2011, 07:56 AM
I know I will probably get blasted for saying this but to me it is those granite blocks with people's photos at the entrance to Epcot.

:ditto:

But I can't believe no one has mentioned the hat yet! That is most definitely mine - it is hideous and wipes out the beautiful Chinese Theatre view! The hat = :thedolls:

Dragongirlx
04-14-2011, 11:00 AM

They kind of did that with the UK pavillion - which is really the England pavillion (and doesn't represent the whole of England at that) What about Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland we exisit too

AlliMo
04-14-2011, 11:14 AM
-Another vote for the HAT...
-South Africa is nicely represented in the cuisine and wine list at Jiko....but I would like more.
-African outpost has always been weird and a sad way to sell merchandise and beverages to overheated people.
-I really dislike the carnival area in AK
-bottomline- I let everything weird slide because it is still Disney :mickey:

BandMan
04-14-2011, 01:25 PM
But I can't believe no one has mentioned the hat yet! That is most definitely mine - it is hideous and wipes out the beautiful Chinese Theatre view! The hat = :thedolls:

Another BIG vote for the hat. They take the trouble to create that whole classic Hollywood / art deco feel and then stick a big cartoon hat in the middle? :down:

DisneyDoug2
04-14-2011, 01:53 PM
I have to agree with the dino land vote, how does that are blend into the whole AK experiance?

cer
04-14-2011, 02:18 PM
I will give them credit for removing the big hand and wand from Spaceship Earth. (What was up with all that???) So random.

TheVBs
04-14-2011, 03:29 PM
We love Dinoland, and I really like the idea behind Din-o-rama, but agree that it's poorly done. It's definitely the kind of roadside attraction that would spring up close to a dig site, but it's missing that Disney touch. The extra charge for the games is awkward. We rarely have much cash on us in the parks. I think it would be great if they make an effort to redo it.

Totally agree with the granite pictures at the entrance to Epcot! :ack: I keep hoping they'll be gone by the next time we visit.

Don't think we've ever been to Hollywood Studios when the hat wasn't there, so it looks natural to us.

CanadaLovesDisney
04-14-2011, 06:06 PM
Mcdonalds fries in frontier land???

American idol experience... I thought that show was on fox?

The new chicken restaurant in downtown Disney looks cheap. Like they threw a pop eyes in there to fill space. Could have done something original.

Tomorrowland noodle terrace is just weird and the food is gross. Not sure what low grade Chinese has to do with the future.

And just about everything else in disney I cannot complain about!!! Fav place on earth!

LVT
04-14-2011, 06:21 PM
I read that the pavilions were paid endorsements from outside. Similar to a world's fair. The countries willing to pay, put in exhibit buildings.

BrerSchultzy
04-15-2011, 12:35 PM
Mcdonalds fries in frontier land???

American idol experience... I thought that show was on fox?

The new chicken restaurant in downtown Disney looks cheap. Like they threw a pop eyes in there to fill space. Could have done something original.

Tomorrowland noodle terrace is just weird and the food is gross. Not sure what low grade Chinese has to do with the future.

And just about everything else in disney I cannot complain about!!! Fav place on earth!

Well, I change my vote now. I agree with all of these things. And the Swan and Dolphin. And the mausoleum at the entrance to Epcot. But I stand by liking Dinoland.

BrerGnat
04-15-2011, 01:31 PM
Aren't all the McDonald's gone from inside the parks now? And, just FYI, that was something that Walt was totally into...the in park sponsorship stuff.

I TOTALLY agree about the American Idol Experience. I don't even understand how they got the rights to do that???

DNS
04-15-2011, 02:13 PM
What about you?

I am with you 100%!! I still cringe seeing it. It just looks nasty to me. So---UNDisney

Polynesian Dweller
04-15-2011, 02:17 PM
Have to agree with the Epcot monoliths. They could have come up with something that was futuristic.

Aren't all the McDonald's gone from inside the parks now? And, just FYI, that was something that Walt was totally into...the in park sponsorship stuff.
He sure was. Sponsors for most everything the day DL opened. Also, DL was half owned by ABC until 1960. Ironic that years later Disney ended owning all of ABC.

I TOTALLY agree about the American Idol Experience. I don't even understand how they got the rights to do that???
Another one I agree totally with. Absolutely nothing to do with Disney.

HackLaSalle
04-15-2011, 05:30 PM
Not to defend the American Idol Experience (which aside from being a nice place to escape the heat it's not much of anything.)

BUUUUUUT

What does: Aerosmith, Twilight Zone, Star Wars, Singing In The Rain, and Indiana Jones

have to do with Disney? That's the theme of the park. It's Hollywood. You may not like but the American Idol Experience fits the theme perfectly.

Dinoland has a story(albeit a pretty poor and far fetched one.) but I agree that fits LESS but I still guess I can see a way that it fits.

My most out of place is the Lego store in DTD. I love the store I love the sculptures but it feels that with LegoLand opening soon they're advertising another park.

Adding a second to that is most everything in TomorrowLand. Stitch, Buzz, Monster's Inc... all their stories despite being fictious all take place in the here and now. Not in the Future.

Plex
04-15-2011, 09:47 PM
MK - Tomorrowland speedway. It really reminds me of those sad, old, run-down amusement parks. None of the cars seem to work right, it smells funny, and it's way out of place in general Nothing magical about it at all.

AK - pretty much all of Dino Land. A bit of a county fair feel - definitely not magical.

HS - Power Ranger. I don't know why, but this has never quite sat right with me. It just doesn't feel Disney at all to me.

Epcot - The last room in Maelstrom. You go from history and mythology, randomly to an oil rig???? It just feels like they ran out of ideas and had a really big room to work with.

Resorts - Swan and Dolphin, without a doubt, just doesn't make any sense at all. The Boardwalk, Beach Club, and Yacht Club all have a similar sort of feel to them. Then you move over to the Swan and Dolphin and the colors and architecture drastically change, along with some very artificial grounds. It would fit in well with the Contemporary, but with the general motif of the whole Boardwalk area, it just doesn't quite fit.

And as a final not e- that Tower of Terror billboard on the way in... Really? Can't we do a little better than this? It's Disney for crying out loud!

kemps@wdw
04-15-2011, 10:29 PM
I don't think that anything is "out of place" WDW! I love it all! :cloud9:

xo0ally
04-16-2011, 09:21 PM

I completely agree! They look so tacky! Its awful and i agree it makes you feel like you're walking through a mausoleum.

azcavalier
04-17-2011, 10:56 AM
Obviously this is all everyone's opinions, which they have a right to....

Our family likes Hester's and Chester's Dino-Rama. My kids love to ride the Primeval Hurl, and I *like* the roadside carnival feel. I *like* the tacky look of the place, and I like that the games, even though you have to pay extra, always have a winner. So they're not the kind of carnival games that can totally rip you off. It's fun and whimsical.

We also like the Epcot entrance. We have one of those little tiles. It, to me, feels futuristic, and my kids love to run in and out of them, like a maze, on the way out of the park.

Totally agree with the Swan and Dead Carp (Dolphin) hotels. Ugly, and why doesn't that fish look like a dolphin?

While I don't mind the big Sorcerer's Hat at DHS, I get that people are upset that it blocks the Chinese Theater. However, the Theater wasn't the "weenie" that it was supposed to be, and they had to do something.

For me, the biggest thing is the Tomorrowland Speedway. Even though Tomorrowland is obviously not about the future, and everyone knows this, that ride is just awful. Doesn't fit the theme, artistically or technologically.

Of course, we could sit here and nitpick all day. What does the Haunted Mansion have to do with Liberty Square? What does Philharmagic have to do with Fantasyland's stories? Or IASW, for that matter? What does the Imagination Pavilion have to do with ANYTHING at Epcot? Expedition Everest at Animal Kingdom???

EeyoresBestFriend
04-17-2011, 11:28 AM

I think it was a sad attempt at matching US introduction of Fear Factor to their park. Happened about the same time . . . . and I think BOTH are useless. :D

For me, out of place was the whole Narnia thing . . . . weird . . . :confused:

Gator
04-17-2011, 07:44 PM
Man, there's way too much hate for Chester&Hester's area. You're clearly missing the whole point of it all. I'm guessing none of you have been on a road trip through the West.

For me, it's the Speedway at MK. How is that "tomorrow"?

Gator
04-17-2011, 07:47 PM
Have to agree with the Epcot monoliths. They could have come up with something that was futuristic.

I'm guessing you've never seen 2001? The monoliths are very "Future". For the most part, future=sci-fi, and so the monoliths are great. I'm also guessing the people who hate them don't have their pictures on them. Just a guess.

Altair
04-17-2011, 08:00 PM
The monorail track running through Future World at Epcot ruins the site lines of that park, unless there is a monorail train on it at the time.:twocents:

McLiberal8
04-17-2011, 09:08 PM
Man, there's way too much hate for Chester&Hester's area. You're clearly missing the whole point of it all. I'm guessing none of you have been on a road trip through the West.

It's definitely not that. I have been all through the west.

The reason that there is so much hate for Hester & Chesters for it is because it is just too 'easy'. Disney stands out because it doesn't do what's 'easy' - it does whats challenging and appropriate for the theme.

I can understand that when it comes to theming as a hokey carnival, they killed it. But why not blow me away with something that I know I can't see every summer, when the carnivals come to my town?

phillydan
04-17-2011, 10:17 PM
I'd have to go with the Noodleland Terrace. No idea why it is there and what the theme is supposed to be.

thejens
04-18-2011, 12:55 AM
Oh, the Swan and Dolphin REALLY bother me!!!! They spoil the view in Epcot and destroy the Boarwalk/Beach Club view as well. And what is the deal with the fish/dolphin????

At least they are improving Fantasyland.

Maybe Dinoland will be next. My kids like the rides, but the theme is very tacky and out of place. I really love Animal Kingdom and find it lush and exotic and gorgeous and then, wham, you are at a a cheap carnival (the kind that I imagine inspired Walt to do something better.) What???

Polynesian Dweller
04-18-2011, 01:11 AM
I'm guessing you've never seen 2001? The monoliths are very "Future". For the most part, future=sci-fi, and so the monoliths are great. I'm also guessing the people who hate them don't have their pictures on them. Just a guess.

Yes I have seen 2001, several times. The Epcot monoliths have never reminded me of that. Not close actually and not futuristic.

Even if you do have a picture on then, a lot of them didn't come out well enough to make out the faces.

hokies4life
04-18-2011, 04:40 AM
Has to be the stand selling fried ice cream in the American Adventure.:confused:

I don't think I've ever seen a fried ice cream stand. All I remember is a funnel cake stand (yum!). Maybe I've just been missing it.

For me, out of place was the whole Narnia thing . . . . weird . . . :confused:

While I don't like the whole walking tour thing, and I haven't done it since it was 101 dalmations, I do feel that it fits. The park is all about movies and its like a behind the scenes look.

One thing I saw yesterday that was out of place were the Pooh fastpasses all the way over by Philharmagic. I know its because of construction and all, but I just felt weird walking up to the queue for one thing and having fastpass distribution for something else right there. :confused:

Jeniflower
04-18-2011, 07:54 AM
I love the monnoliths leading up to Spaceshp earth - its just so very Logans Run

ryca1dreams
04-18-2011, 01:43 PM
Most out of place at WDW? - the entire Future World area. It is a sad remnant of what it used to be. It should be a glimpse at advancements and developing trends in biology, energy, transportation, space travel (or future living if you count Horizons), marine study, ecology, communications, and of course the imagination that fuels all that. Now it just seems to be a weird mish-mash of out-of-place rides (Soarin' over California ), movie tie-ins (Nemo), and closed pavilions. We spend maybe a half day there now.

I love Epcot and wish this whole area were re-done. I'm not so much a nostalgic type, but the way it is now is no where near as good as it used to be and is really out of place as far as representing a "future" world.

joonyer
04-18-2011, 01:51 PM
Another thing that's "out of place" but intended to be (like Dinoland), is Blizzard Beach; a Ski Resort in Central Florida. But I'm really glad it's there.

gresh00
04-19-2011, 12:22 AM
Warning: Probably going to offend some people here.

Really?? Of all the things wrong with AK (to which I could write an entire book the size and scope of which would rival War and Peace), many of you pick the Chester and Hester thing? Really? At least there is stuff to do there - things to ride on. Believe me, I'm not defending this area, I'm just saying there's not much else to the park either. The whole park is out of place. Disney needs to make up their minds - either take all the rides out and add a bunch more animals and call it Zoo Disney. Or, add a lot more rides - not attractions - but RIDES and make it into a theme park worthy of the Disney name.

I know there are a lot of AK defenders on here, but lets be honest, this park is not up to par with the others. It's a so-so zoo with a few really cool rides, and some really neat shows. Here's the problem though: if you want to look at animals - go to your local zoo. If you want to watch a Broadway style show (broadway the key word here), go watch a broadway show either in NY or your local theatre. A theme park is supposed to be about rides. The other attractions are there as a support and should be secondary. Just having a handful of actual rides does not make for a good theme park. There's also no enough animals to make it a good zoo. It's like Disney mashed two to three small concepts together to make one big park and hoped it would work. Well, imho, it doesn't. Again I know there are plenty of AK defenders out there, but even the most loyal have to at least acknowledge that the general consensus leans towards AK being the worst of the four parks. That has to be worth something.

I remember watching a promo about AK when it first opened and one of the imangineers was talking about how big the walkways and paths were for great crowd control, that the paths were designed to be huge on purpose. Well, its a good thing, because there is so little to do there and its so spread out that you spend the majority of the day just walking. Not my idea of fun. The few key attractions that are there don't make up for the lack of there not being anything else. AND unlike Universal Studios or even Disney studios, the park is too big to do just a few of the big attractions and leave. You wind up wasting a whole day and for what? The safari ride, Dinosaur, Kilimanjaro, Everest, maybe Lion King? O.K. even in heavy crowds, with fast pass these should take no more than 3 hours. But the park takes the full eights hours of operation to do. The other five is literally spent doing nothing but walking around and looking at those big walkways disney built with us saps in mind.

Again, at least the chester thing, as cheesy as it is, has something to do in it. I think the whole park is an eyesore for disney and is out of place, but if I had to pick one thing at that park that is especially out of place, how about the abandoned moat towards the front that was a boat ride for about the first three months of operations and has been closed ever since. All the loading dock is now is a character greet, I think.

Whole park is a disappointment. Needless to say we won't be going when we go back in May.

azcavalier
04-19-2011, 10:45 AM
Wow! Harsh. I'm not going to flame you, because I know lots of people who feel that way. I, however, am a defender of AK.

However, I completely agree that our of the four parks, it ranks fourth because, as you said, there's just not that much to do. However, I disagree that with your statement that "a theme park is supposed to be about rides". No, a *thrill* park is about rides. That's what Kings Dominion, Kings Island, Carowinds, Busch Gardens, Universal and Six Flags are. Theme parks are about a theme...and in this case, it's animals. And I think they did a great job. It's more than a so-so zoo, as how many zoos have you ever been to which you could ride a vehicle through and get as close to viewing animals in their native environment without actually going to Africa? And the Exploration Trail has some great animals there as well. I've been to a few great zoos (St. Louis, National Zoo in Washington), and AK is up there with them.

Is it huge and takes forever to walk from place-to-place? Yes, absolutely.

Does it need more rides? Yes. In fact, I think it needs a new land, and IMHO, it should be South America themed.

Is it an amazing feat of engineering? Yes. Double yes. They didn't just clear land and build a park. They GREW it. And the animals eat it. It's constantly changing.

DizneyRox
04-19-2011, 11:16 AM
10 Day vacation

6 of those days we'll be at AK at some point. Usually at least 4 days we'll be at Epcot.
We'll spend maybe 1/2 of a day at MK before we get sick of it, and try to make it to MGM once for Fantasmic if possible.

Still visit AK frequently, been going back since it opened. I get that people don't get it, doesn't really bother me too much. To each his/her own.

In terms of Theme Parks, I think AK is top of the list. No other park that I've been to is THEMED as well as AK. Might not be everyone's favorite theme, but they did a good job overall.

Mitzie
04-19-2011, 11:39 AM
All of your responses are what make WDW great. There is something for everyone. DH loves AK, Epcot is my favorite. Would we both like to see changes or additions. Yep. Just gives us more reasons to plan future trips. I think the Camp Minie Camp Mickey area was never built to it's full potential. Lets hope Disney has some plans on the back burner. I would love to see more countries added to WS and would love to see a new movie at Sorin with them going over major areas of the world to tie in WS.

squad51
04-19-2011, 05:16 PM
Not to defend the Swan and Dolphin but weren't they there before the other hotels in the epcot area? Maybe the Y&B Club, and Boardwalk look out of place.

Personally, the All Stars and POP are the hotels that look out of place. Take any late 60's to early 70's motel add some cardboard cutouts to the side and there you go. The moderates and Deluxe go out of there way to be themed. however value gets gaudy paint and oversized phrases.:ack:

BrerGnat
04-19-2011, 08:05 PM
Not to defend the Swan and Dolphin but weren't they there before the other hotels in the epcot area? Maybe the Y&B Club, and Boardwalk look out of place.

Nice catch! Technically, they all opened in 1990. But, Swan opened first in January, then Dolphin around the summer, and the Disney resorts all debuted in November, 1990. So, you are technically right...the S/D were there first.

AXOAlum
04-20-2011, 09:01 AM
Theme parks are about a theme...and in this case, it's animals. And I think they did a great job.

:ditto: I have come to love DAK more and more as I get older (lol - I'm 37 for the record). Much like EPCOT, the park just grows on me (no pun intended) each time I visit. Now granted, there are changes I would make. We are huge advocates of conservation, recycling, animal welfare issues, etc - on some points, DAK does a great job with those topics, but on others they fail miserably. The biggest issue we have as a family of vegetarians is that the one park that should focus on conservation & animal welfare, is the place that offers the LEAST choices for vegetarian/vegan meals on the entire property! I can have a cheese pizza or a yogurt/fruit plate!

But I digress... gresh00, you aren't going to get flamed - I can understand your point of view and how others feel that way. I just happen to enjoy the wide open spaces that DAK affords, and I agree again with azcavalier that DAK is definitely an amazing feat of engineering. (This coming from the mom of an 8 year old who chose to write Joe Rohde as his "famous" person for the class project!) lol - have a magical day, everyone :mickey:

Victor Kelly
04-20-2011, 12:24 PM

I cannot blast somebody for the same thing I think about. It is a graveyard to me. Creepy, more creepy than the HM can ever be.

My pick would also be all the closed shops and restaurants all around the parks. Bad show, very bad show.

buzznwoodysmom
04-20-2011, 12:37 PM
I know I will probably get blasted for saying this but to me it is those granite blocks with people's photos at the entrance to Epcot. :

Totally agree with this one. This has to me my least favorite thing to see in WDW. It just doesn't look good.

And I agree with the African Outpost in WS over in Epcot. Everytime I walk past it I notice how out of place it seems.

lettripp
04-20-2011, 01:51 PM
Another vote for the African Outpost at Epcot over here... As much as I love the sound of kid's drumming as I walk past, Africa is not a country, it is a continent. They need to either pick another country in Africa (aside from Morocco) and elaborate on it or eliminate it all together!

Goes4FastPass
04-20-2011, 02:14 PM
It seems you answered you own complaint. My GS also loves the 'carnival' at AK so it doesn't seem out of place to me.

AlliMo
04-20-2011, 04:28 PM
In response to gresh00's opinion of AK:
I respect your opinion and agree that I wish AK had more "stuff" to do. However, a theme park...A DISNEY theme park.... is NOT all about the rides. EPCOT has literally about 7 rides total and it is mostly things to look at and do.... I love Epcot BECAUSE of the mix of things to do, things to ride, things to watch, things to eat, places to walk around. That is the same idea with AK however, I think that it wasn't planned out properly to encourage people to stay and hang around and wander...It's too spread out and too hot there sometimes which is why it doesn't always work as a cohesive park.

Second,
as for the Swan and Dolphin, I also agree that they are an eye-sore but they were NOT originally owned by Disney...so Disney ended up working around them and trying to hide them. Please correct me if I am wrong...
:mickey:

Melanie
04-20-2011, 05:02 PM
Nice catch! Technically, they all opened in 1990. But, Swan opened first in January, then Dolphin around the summer, and the Disney resorts all debuted in November, 1990. So, you are technically right...the S/D were there first.

Okay, I did some research on this, because I knew I remembered the first time I stayed at the Beach Club in 1994, the Boardwalk was not there. Indeed it did not open until 1996.

I agree the Swan & Dolphin surely do look strange to first-time and infrequent visitors, but I've gotten used to their place in the skyline, if you will. And I love the Swan and the ammenties of the two resorts. Great value and great location!

Melanie
04-20-2011, 05:09 PM
as for the Swan and Dolphin, I also agree that they are an eye-sore but they were NOT originally owned by Disney...so Disney ended up working around them and trying to hide them. Please correct me if I am wrong...
:mickey:

As far as I know, no changes have been made in ownership, rights, etc. since the inception of the two hotels. The Tishman Group built and owns them, and they have a multi-year lease on the land. They are both Starwood properties, with the Dolphin being a Sheraton and the Swan a Westin.

Goes4FastPass
04-20-2011, 05:10 PM
The Swan and Dolphin are swell resorts with many of the perks that staying at WDW resorts have (like EMH and Disney transportation) and they're a good value considering how nice they are and their location.

I have trouble calling ANYTHING at WDW an eyesore.

And when it comes to KIDS there are 2 things to do at WDW parks: Ride rides and pester Mom and Dad until you get back to riding rides.

BrerGnat
04-20-2011, 06:03 PM
Okay, I did some research on this, because I knew I remembered the first time I stayed at the Beach Club in 1994, the Boardwalk was not there. Indeed it did not open until 1996.

My bad. The Yacht and Beach Club opened in November 1990. The Boardwalk and Villas came later, like you said.

Still, the Swan and Dolphin opened first.

BellesRose
04-20-2011, 07:41 PM
My grandpa hung the doors on the Swan and Dolphin, and because of that they are special to me. I also stayed in one of them once when I was little (Only one night, and I don't even remember which one) so I like them.

To me, Coronado Springs and The Polynesian are outdated and out of place. And ugly :secret: but that's just my opinion!

paragon
04-24-2011, 10:41 AM
Two things come to mind,
The "leave a legacy" stones at the entrance to Epcot seem very out of place (and quite ugly-IMO) and then, the stones at the entrance to Tomorrowland- these seem really out of place and would fit better in Frontierland. I can only assume the idea was an image of some planet's surface.

Disney-4-Me
04-24-2011, 04:59 PM
Discovery River Boats! Thank goodness they are no longer in existence! That was the most unDisney experience at Disney World. We waited for an hour in the hot sun then felt like we were trapped during the ride on a boat to nowhere with nothing to see.

PrettyMinnie
04-25-2011, 12:15 AM
10 Day vacation

6 of those days we'll be at AK at some point. Usually at least 4 days we'll be at Epcot.
We'll spend maybe 1/2 of a day at MK before we get sick of it, and try to make it to MGM once for Fantasmic if possible.

Still visit AK frequently, been going back since it opened. I get that people don't get it, doesn't really bother me too much. To each his/her own.

In terms of Theme Parks, I think AK is top of the list. No other park that I've been to is THEMED as well as AK. Might not be everyone's favorite theme, but they did a good job overall.

We don't spend as much time in AK, and genuinely enjoy all 4 parks, but I completely agree that this is the best THEMED park, even if it is lacking rides and such. And the rides that are offered, IMO, are top notch! I love the feeling of being in AK, there is a lot of attention to detail, which is Disney standard. Even if it isn't a crowd favorite or does not offer tons of attractions, I would never say it wasn't up to par! Also, I always look at it as the park is still growing. When MK was built it was much smaller than it is now, give it time :mickey:

BWayGrl
04-25-2011, 04:46 PM
My pick would also be all the closed shops and restaurants all around the parks. Bad show, very bad show.

Oooh I agree. The old Odyssey restaurant in Epcot kind of creeps me out. A few years ago, my mom and I walked past and the doors were open. Apparently you can still go in there to use the bathrooms!

Olivia's Daddy
04-26-2011, 09:37 AM
Sometimes it seems like a curse to view everything through an adult's eyes.

Patricia
04-26-2011, 12:05 PM
Totally agree with the Swan and Dead Carp (Dolphin) hotels. Ugly, and why doesn't that fish look like a dolphin

Oh, the Swan and Dolphin REALLY bother me!!!! They spoil the view in Epcot and destroy the Boarwalk/Beach Club view as well. And what is the deal with the fish/dolphin????

Time out for an informative post:

When the Dolphin Resort was designed by Michael Graves, it was with the idea that everyones interpretation would be different. For instance the draping inside could be interpreted as a cabana, a circus tent, an arabian night, I always felt like a genie in a bottle, etc. It's all post modern architecture that is nothing more than subliminal storytelling meant to be imaginative.. :mickey:

The Dolphin you see represented on the outside is the way dolphins were interpreted in ancient times... dating back to the Romans. The mariners would come back from their journeys telling stories of how dolphins would guide their ships. Illustrators, having never seen a dolphin, tried to depict them as best they could (using their imaginations) in their art. Because it was from the sea, they would imagine them as fish having scales rather than the dolphin we all know and love today.

Some people will claim it's a mahi mahi or dolphin fish, but again.. these do not look the same a the fish we see on the Dolphin Resort.

You can see many variations of this fish throughout the art and architectural world even today. As in this lovely Oscar de la Renta Dolphin table..

(Now, back to the real thread..)

Goes4FastPass
04-26-2011, 12:30 PM
Is there any point in the universe to discussing who thinks what about the appearance of the Swan and Dolphin hotels at Walt Disney World? They’ve been at Walt Disney World and fine places to stay while visiting Walt Disney World longer than most of us have been visiting Walt Disney World.

I only wish I could someday design and create something as successful as these hotels. I wish I were right now sitting by the pool at the Swan or Dolphin thinking how great it is to be at Walt Disney World.

Mogie
04-26-2011, 12:35 PM
Im taking a different spin on things and going to say all the gift shops. Seriously do we need a gift shop every 10 feet selling the same exact stuff?

I know its always been a huge part of disney and i get myself a little souvenir from every trip to remember, but wouldnt more attractions even if they are small be better? Maybe these shops could be themed better like Olivander's wand shop and make them interactive? It might even help disperse the lines on the rides a bit.

jaredkari
04-26-2011, 08:11 PM
Alright I know I will get blasted for saying this, but to me it is the smoking area right across from Aloha Isle. It is hot and you are in the mood for a tropical refreshment and while waiting in line to get it all you can smell is smoke. Kind of takes away from the tropical atmosphere and then once you get your pineapple float you can't find a place to sit and enjoy without smoke.

I understand smoking areas are needed for those who choose to smoke but there has to be a better place than here.

BrerGnat
04-26-2011, 09:09 PM
Is there any point in the universe to discussing who thinks what about the appearance of the Swan and Dolphin hotels at Walt Disney World?

Well, yes, considering that this thread is asking what people think is the most out of place thing at Walt Disney World, there is a point in discussing this. Many people think they look out of place. That's all.

AlliMo
04-27-2011, 11:15 AM
I have voted several times but another vote for the smoking area by aloha isle! I definitely noticed that last time and it took away from my dole whip experience. I always get the dole whip at aloha isle and it would be so nice to enjoy it in the tropical setting without inhaling smoke...ugh.

Dopey's Girl
04-27-2011, 07:10 PM
I totally agree with the 'gravesite' in front of Epcot and the African Outpost. So strange.

I would have also added the ghost town across from pop if this thread was started earlier.