PDA

View Full Version : What ride is on the cover of Unofficial Guide?

Aisling
04-12-2011, 09:13 AM
Hey all,

We just got back from a fabulous trip to WDW and my son noticed the picture on the guide and we can't figure out what ride it is. Do you any of you know?

It's the Unofficial Guide Walt Disney World 2011. I don't know how to put up a pic (or even if that's allowed), but we really want to know! We don't recognize it at all.

Thanks again. Your advice before the trip was super great and helped make it an easier vacation.

tameri...

jnfr2424
04-12-2011, 09:15 AM
Looks like Triceratop Spin or Primeval Whirl in AK
I always get those two mixed up

KylesMom
04-12-2011, 09:17 AM
To me, it looks like Primeval Whirl in AK. I think it may have been down for refurb during your visit.

WDWfanatic742
04-12-2011, 10:20 AM
Definetely Primeval Whirl, can't imagine why they would choose that ride for the cover though...

brivers222
04-12-2011, 01:06 PM
it needs to get some sort of publicity... haha i am not a fan of that ride at all!

crazygoalie39
04-12-2011, 01:10 PM
Definetely Primeval Whirl, can't imagine why they would choose that ride for the cover though...
:ditto: I really don't understand that choice at all. I'd like to know who thinks "Disney World" and the first thing in their head is Primeval Whirl.

Melanie
04-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Haven't looked at one of these guidebooks in years, but isn't the Unofficial Guide the one that doesn't have pictures inside? That's one reason I was never crazy about that one. I need pictures! :D

joonyer
04-12-2011, 01:41 PM
I'll admit that Primeval Whirl is not one of the images that pops into my head when someone says "Disney World" (I first think of Fireworks over the castle), but I have to say that it is one of our family's favorite rides at WDW. I know its not a heavily themed attraction, but it is a lot of fun and we always get off of it laughing. Kinda like the people in the picture on the Unofficial Guide.

JasonH
04-12-2011, 01:42 PM
I've never gone for the unofficial ones....only the official one and we get one every year whether we go or not....Birnbaum's for life my friends! :thumbsup::mickey:

Ian
04-12-2011, 02:36 PM
It's definitely Primeval Whirl. Fun ride, but odd choice for the cover. Maybe they're trying to make WDW look more thrilling?

Not a fan of guidebooks at all. They're too static and outdated for me. That thing has to go to press months before the year even starts, let alone when my trip might be scheduled.

I'll take online guides any day over antiquated print versions.

BrerGnat
04-12-2011, 03:24 PM
They probably used that ride for the cover due to its bold, bright color scheme. They need something eye popping to appeal to people.

I personally like that ride. One of my favorites in AK. Don't really understand all the hate for it.

WDWfanatic742
04-12-2011, 05:50 PM
I like the ride too, it just doesn't scream Disney at me. Probably the worst ride I'd pick to represent a Disney resort to be quite honest, whether the picture is perfect or not.

whitney37354
04-13-2011, 10:12 AM
Haven't looked at one of these guidebooks in years, but isn't the Unofficial Guide the one that doesn't have pictures inside? That's one reason I was never crazy about that one. I need pictures! :D

No pictures in it. After reading all the touring plans I had nightmares about getting kicked off rides at WDW!

It sounds like it's the same cover picture as the 2010 guide, which I have. We didn't ride this ride because DD wasn't tall enough & DH gets motion sickness easily.

nfrustaci
04-13-2011, 10:53 AM
They probably used that ride for the cover due to its bold, bright color scheme. They need something eye popping to appeal to people.

I personally like that ride. One of my favorites in AK. Don't really understand all the hate for it.

I agree I love that ride, reminds me of carnivals. that was usually our vacations as children, camping and local carnivals. fun, i like that whole area in AK. i take my son there and my husband goes on Dinosour !

brownie
04-13-2011, 10:55 AM
Yep, it's Primeval Whirl. We enjoy it. Rode it twice in a row without getting off of it on our last trip. Animal Kingdom was not busy first thing in the morning.

EJS-Houston
04-13-2011, 11:07 AM

I usually agree with you on that point, Melanie; I found the Eyewitness Guide Book invaluable when I visited Rome for the first time because of the photos. I am, though, a big fan of the Unofficial Guide to WDW, and am currently using the Unofficial Guide to Las Vegas to plan my first trip there. I like their approach, their insiders tips, and the fact that they encourage reader feedback and incorporate it into the next editions.

TikiGoddess
04-20-2011, 08:35 AM
If you go the Unofficial Guide website, in their blog readers were actually polled to see which cover should be used. They had a bunch of different choices -- I think the company ended up using Primeval Whirl because it has color, movement, and excitement.

When looking at guidebooks, my first thought is usually "I can get all this information for free online." The Unofficial Guide website, blog, podcast, etc. are fantastic and contain lots of key information.

Kathy

ransam
04-20-2011, 04:37 PM
i really love the ride, but agree it's kind of a strange choice for the cover.

EpcotFan182
04-21-2011, 08:10 AM

The authors actually released a "color companion" to their Unofficial Guide. I picked it up for my trip last year and it's filled with full color pictures, it's very nice and a refreshing change especially if you like to pick up a new Unofficial Guide every year. :mickey:

LudwigVonDrake
04-24-2011, 11:09 AM
It sounds like it's the same cover picture as the 2010 guide, which I have. We didn't ride this ride because DD wasn't tall enough & DH gets motion sickness easily.

If the 2011 cover is Primeval Whirl then the 2010 cover is the same :mickey:

Aisling
04-27-2011, 10:25 PM
Wow, thanks everyone!

I have to say, I bought two guides and the Unofficial was my favorite. The other was just fluff. My poor copy is dogeared now.

I think we're going back in December (I missed so much due to rain!) so we'll have to check out this ride.

Thanks again, as always, you all know your stuff!