PDA

View Full Version : Best CS and TS in DL

clausjo
04-11-2011, 01:11 PM
I just booked our very first trip to DL for early June :party: We're "experts" on WDW in FL, but know basically nothing about DL. What are the not miss CS and TS places there? It will be just me and my kids (11 and 8) and I'll be celebrating my 40th a couple of weeks early.

Thanks!

Disney4us2
04-11-2011, 04:20 PM
My favorite places are not in the parks but over at the Grand Californian. For CS it is Whitewater Snacks for us. You order the food and they give you a number and then bring to food to your table. Like at Carls Jr. We both love their nacho's.

For TS we like Storyteller's Cafe. We have had all 3 meals there. Love their buffet character breakfast. The lunch is really good. My favorite there is the grilled chicken sandwich. For dinner we liked the buffet. Never had a bad meal there yet.

I also like to get out of the park for meals, it makes it so much more relaxing.

In the park, Disneyland: we like the French Market for CS. Plaza in has good fried chicken . For TS it has to be Carnation Cafe.

At DCA we like the Wharf Bakery for CS. Haven't eaten TS since Ariels Grotto went sky high with their prices, besides the fact Jessica is just not into princesses any more.

BrerGnat
04-12-2011, 12:22 PM
I have lots of "favorites" in these categories. I'll happily share them with you. :mickey:

In Disneyland Park:
-Village Haus (CS-Fantasyland)
-Hungry Bear Restaurant (CS-Critter Country)

These two above have recently come out with new (and MUCH improved) menus. The food at these locations is downright GOOD! Hungry Bear is the best value for the money...portions are HUGE here.

-River Belle Terrace (CS-Adventureland/Frontierland): great for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The carved meat sandwiches and sides are really good and filling!

-Bengal BBQ (CS-Adventureland): grilled meats and veggies on skewers...SO good! Definitely a departure from what you're used to finding at a theme park

-Redd Rocket's Pizza Port (CS-tomorrowland). Not the best pizza per se, but it is good and filling (i.e. my kids love it and the two of them can share one slice). What I love here more are the salads and pasta dishes.

-Rancho del Zocalo (CS-frontierland): good Mexican-ish food.

TS: Carnation Cafe on Main Street. Good, simple food in a great atmosphere.

In DCA:
Not much to choose from right now, I'm afraid, due to all the construction. Our standby here is Taste Pilot's Grill, but I'd just as soon head into the Grand Californian Resort (via the entrance inside DCA) and eat at Whitewater Snacks, as Marci does. That is a great CS location that is never crowded, and has a great menu.

-Pacific Wharf Cafe (CS)
-Cucina Cucamonga (CS): both of these are in the Pacific Wharf area of DCA, and both are worthy of eating at.

In Downtown Disney:

Favorite CS locations:
-Tortilla Jo's TAQUERIA (Great nachos here, and pretty darn good tacos too!)

Favorite TS locations:
-Naples
-Catal (pricey, but VERY good)
-ESPN Zone
-Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen (NOT the express, the sit down)

In the resorts:
-Storyteller's Cafe (Grand Californian...good dinner buffet!)
-Steakhouse 55 (excellent steak house)
-Napa Rose (the BEST meal I've ever had, but VERY expensive)

clausjo
04-12-2011, 01:10 PM
Thanks so much! We've made reservations for Minnie's character breakfast. I was wondering if we need to make ADRs for any other sit down meals we may want. Since we've never been to DL and we only have 3 1/2 days because of travel time, I don't want to plan too much if I don't have to. I'm thinking of trying to do a sit down dinner one night, but I'm not sure. We'll be there 6/6 through 6/9, if that helps. I'd much rather "wing it" if at all possible. What do you think?

BrerGnat
04-12-2011, 03:29 PM
Wing it! You can even walk up for the Minnie's Breakfast.

ADRs are not required. You will be there prior to the big summer rush, so just go with the flow. It does help to eat at "off' hours (lunch at 11am, or after 2pm; dinner at 5pm, or after 8pm).

I've been living here over 10 years. I've never made an ADR (even for Napa Rose, which used to have a waiting list a couple months long, we just called a couple hours before we headed over to put our name in).

KatieDuck22
04-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Go to the lucky fortune cookie! we loved it and went three times (CS)
We also loved being at the carnation cafe. a great experience to be right there were all the magic starts!

Sylvia
04-24-2011, 02:45 PM
I just spent a week at DL. My favorites are:

TS - Carnation Cafe on Main Street - this has become a must on every trip - a nice relaxing lunch with a great view of Main Street.

CS - Hungry Bear Restaurant in Critter Country - I walked across the park from Tomorrowland just to eat here a second time, all because the classic cheeseburger comes w/sweet potato fries!!! Lots of seating on 2 levels. Find a table near the river and watch the watercraft (the Mark Twain, the Columbia, canoes) go by.

CS - French Market in New Orleans Square - always a must on every trip - not typical "fast food", plus entertainment. One day, I started lunch listening to the Jambalaya Jazz and finished listening to the Roal Street Bachelors. And the roast beef was absolutely delicious!!

For treats, 2 CS locations:
Blue Ribbon Bakery on Main Street for delicious baked goods (sandwiches are also available).
Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor on Main Street - Strawberry Street Car Sundae is my favorite.

Right now, there aren't too many options in DCA which appeal to me, but I did try the Lucky Fortune Cookery (headed for Pacific Wharf Cafe but it wasn't open yet). I was pleasantly surprised; the Mandarin Chicken was delicious.

disneynarula
04-30-2011, 12:30 PM
Thanks for all the information. We are also heading there in early june for a trip. Would we need ADRs for Storytellers Cafe? Is it a buffet?

tinkwest
04-30-2011, 01:50 PM
Reservations are not necessary for Storyteller's Cafe but it doesn't hurt. It can be quite busy at times and the wait for walk-ins could be lengthy. Breakfast time gives you the option of ordering off the menu or going through the buffet line. Dinner has the same option at times, not always. I prefer the breakfast and lunch menus over the dinner menu myself. :eat:

amcsherr
05-12-2011, 12:33 PM
Best TS is STORYTELLERS!!! it has great food and a great character experience. we go there for breakfast.

our favorite CS is Award Weiners in CA Adventure (I LOVE the portabello mushroom philly).
or, in MK we like the mexican at Rancho de Zocalo, or the pizza at Red Roketts.

best TS at MK is our new fave, is BigThunder Ranch BBQ. it is an all you can eat, BBQ dinner show. there are ribs, chicken, corn on the cob, coleslaw, baked beans and cornbread, and they also offer a vegetarian kabob with veggies and tofu. they bring the food by the bucket, and it is SO good. also, if you have leftovers, they will let you TAKE THEM HOME! great for a snack at the hotel later :thumbsup: