PDA

View Full Version : Riverside: Alligator Bayou vs. Magnolia Bend?

jaredkari
04-10-2011, 03:42 PM
My wife and I are planning a trip in June (I AM SO PUMPED!!!! :joy: ) We are looking at staying at Riverside. We have stayed there before but it was a few years ago. We stayed in Alligator Bayou then and we were thinking about requesting to get into the Magnolia Bend area.

So can someone tell me in your opinion, what are the pros and cons of each area. (Transportation, pools, access to food, laundry, etc....) Thanks :mickey:

sassafras
04-10-2011, 04:32 PM
We've stayed in both parts of POR and while both are nice, we prefer Alligator Bayou. It has a more rustic, laid back feel and I think the pools have more atmosphere. The pool over at Magnolia Bend is nice, but it is what it is-just a regular old pool. Plus Alligator Bayou seems to be closer to the main building with the gift shop, restaurant, food court and boat dock. The last trip we took and stayed at POR, we requested Alligator Bayou but were put in Partere Place. Since it was the last of the buildings in Magnolia Bend before you cross over to POF, we found it closer to walk to POF for food or to catch a bus. However, just being in POR is great, so it's just a matter of what you like! Have fun!

crazygoalie39
04-11-2011, 01:07 AM
We've never stayed there, but Magnolia Bend is definitely more of my taste. The interiors of the rooms in the Alligator Bayou section just do not look appealing to me, but that is just my two cents.

#1donaldfan
04-11-2011, 11:38 AM
There are really no cons to the mansion side other than they are a bit further away from the main building....AB building 14 / 18 and 27 are the closest to the main bus depot and the food court !! I love the atmosphere of the AB section, it's so shaded, laid back, quiet, just plain 'ol relaxin' !! :mickey:

Gator
04-11-2011, 10:33 PM
There's no decision here. Choose the mansions. The AB is great if you like staying in an apartment complex in south Birmingham. Very dull and boring on the outside, and the rooms have a plain rustic feel. I stayed in these in my only stay at POR, and I'll never go back there for fear of being forced to stay in the AB again.

SuzieBell
04-12-2011, 01:59 PM
There's no decision here. Choose the mansions. The AB is great if you like staying in an apartment complex in south Birmingham. Very dull and boring on the outside, and the rooms have a plain rustic feel. I stayed in these in my only stay at POR, and I'll never go back there for fear of being forced to stay in the AB again.

We are going in June too! 57 days to be exact! :blush:
I know POR is going through a refurb and I'm hoping at least one of the mansions will be done. Being a Southern Girl, I'm a big Gone With The Wind fan and love this section! The distance to pool/food court does not bother me. I figured I'll either be stuck in an old outdated mansion room or hopefully get a new one if done. I will be so disappointed if they stuck me in the AB section. That area does nothing to excite me. I know a lot of people like it, it's peacful and quite, but I would break down in tears right at the front desk. I'm seriously thinking of switching to CBR. :confused: I know all those rooms are refurbed.