PDA

View Full Version : I now fully understand why babies are cute!

Dopey's Girl
04-10-2011, 01:12 AM
I'm a single gal, no kiddos of my own. All of my friends have kids, and I have younger cousins, so I have spent plenty of time with kids of all ages. I love them all, but today I understand why babies are cute. It's so you don't run screaming form the building when it's the middle of the night and they won't sleep!!!

My younger brother has 2 kids. K, a 22 month old and her brother, C, a 3 month old. I have them for the first time together overnight, so my brother and SIL can celebrate their anniversary and her birthday, as well as giving them the first chance at sleep since Mr C was born.

K crashed hours ago. She's an angel! Her brother, however hasn't slept for more than about an hour all night. He goes down fine, but an hour later is up squeaking and fussing. He's not hungry, not dirty, just fussy.

I love him to bits, but I'm going to be ready to hand him back tomorrow!

So to all you moms and dads out there, I give you a big :thumbsup:. This is a really hard job, and you don't get nearly enough praise!

DizneyRox
04-10-2011, 07:22 AM
Works for a night or two, but after that the cute doesn't work anymore...

BrerGnat
04-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Works for a night or two, but after that the cute doesn't work anymore...

It doesn't work with OTHER people's kids, but it does with your own.

My two boys were extremely cute babies and toddlers. They are still quite handsome, if I say so myself.

My younger son (5) is SUCH a terror, though. In every way. He has a very strong personality, he's stubborn, controlling, and manipulative. BUT, he has SUCH a precious face, that I think it's the only reason why he's still alive today. :thedolls: He often gets compliments from strangers about what an "angel" he is. I always tell them they have NO idea...

You are a great aunt to do that for your brother and his wife. Kudos to you! At least you'll get to catch up on your sleep after you hand them back. :D

MNNHFLTX
04-10-2011, 03:53 PM
That really is nice of you to babysit, especially with the baby being so young. I'm sure that your brother and SIL appreciate it!

I love kids, but as I've gotten older the one place that fussy babies get to me is in the grocery store. I don't know why, but hearing a baby crying non-stop while I shop is very distressing and distracting. I mean, I can tune out a baby crying on an airplane no problem, but not in the grocery store. :shrug:

Dopey's Girl
04-10-2011, 08:04 PM
My brother picked up the kids a few hours ago. I'm not sure who was happier to see him, them or me!

My Sil just called to thank me again. She was so cute. The first thing she said to me was that she was so happy to get more than 2 hours of sleep in a row! My brother said she slept until after 10 this morning and that she was in a really good mood. Makes the whole night worth it!

On that note...is it bedtime yet!?

Happy Sunday all!

BrerGnat
04-10-2011, 08:48 PM
On that note...is it bedtime yet!?

It is ALWAYS bedtime, as far as I'm concerned, when there are little ones to be cared for all day!

Good night!

princessgirls
04-11-2011, 10:21 AM
I am a 42 year old Mom of two girls ages 10 & 9, who from time to time will take my niece and nephew for a weekend, or overnight. My nephew James is 1 and my niece Avery is 3, to give my brother and sister-in-law a break.

James has never been a good sleeper, but he is adorable, and just wants some cuddle time, and the last time he slept over, he slept through the night. Avery LOVES being with my girls and does well in their room, never have had a problem with her. I keep a box of dress up for her in my daughter's closet, and she thinks that is cool.

I enjoy them, and we always keep them busy when they are over, plan activities, and the whole family gets involved.
I just think it's neat to make some memories and fun times with them. If you can do it, I say do it and enjoy!!
Julie:mickey: