PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite rental car company?

BrerGnat
04-09-2011, 03:19 PM
Not specific to any location, just which one do you usually stick with, and why?

Ian
04-09-2011, 04:38 PM
I usually use Dollar. I think that's mostly because I typically am renting in Orlando and they're right in MCO.

That plus the fact that I've never had a problem with them, they usually have competitive rates, and you can sign up for their frequent renter program for free and immediately start using the priority check-in features.

MNNHFLTX
04-09-2011, 04:53 PM
I know they're popular, but I'm not a big fan of Avis or Hertz--their rates always seem to be the highest, even with the coupons, vouchers, etc. they are so free to give out. I like National and rented from them both times we went to the U.K. Their policies are easy to understand and we have always been treated fairly by them. We've also used Alamo and Enterprise for domestic rentals and gotten decent rates and customer service.

DizneyRox
04-09-2011, 05:48 PM
Made the mistake of using Hertz twice... Both times they gave me issues at check-in and in Orlando, when you were at their terminal building, you kindof feel at their mercy.

Last few times, I've done National without a hiccup. If I wasn't doing town cars, I would probably use National again.

Spartan_Jeff
04-09-2011, 07:52 PM
When we rent, we use National/Alamo. Their rules are easier, you can combine discounts with coupons. We have used them in Orlando, WPB, FT.Myers, Tampa, and other states and have NEVER had a problem.

Ed
04-09-2011, 10:35 PM
I usually use Dollar. I think that's mostly because I typically am renting in Orlando and they're right in MCO.

Just to clarify, for about the last nine months or so, all of the major rental companies are located right in the airport at MCO; no more bus rides to off-site lots! You pick up and drop off your car in the garage right across the street from the terminal. Only a few very small companies are still at remote locations.

I also stick to Dollar/Thrifty (which are the same company) in my travels. We've had a few problems with them - - dirty cars (LAX and BWI), poor service at the counter (DEN) - - but they've always made up for it with vouchers when I complained. And the last time I rented at BWI, they were very short on cars, so instead of the compact car I had reserved, they gave me a nice roomy Chevy Suburban for the same price!

Magic Smiles
04-10-2011, 12:25 AM
We always use either Alamo or National, especially in WDW so that we can drop the car off at the Car Care Center and take the DME back to the airport.
We also get the 2nd driver free with these 2 companies. Never had any problems with either company anywhere.

Dopey's Girl
04-10-2011, 01:00 AM
I almost always use Alamo. I can always find good coupons online, and they have a good selection of cars. Plus, this trip we are taking ME to Pop, but want a car for a few other days, and to take back to MCO, so being able to get a car without leaving WDW is a big plus!

BrerGnat
04-10-2011, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the feedback! We usually use Hertz, but only because DH is a #1 Club Gold member (free perk through our bank), and we really like their canopy service when we are traveling with the kids. No need to stop at any counters...just find our name on the board and locate the car in the lot and drive off. I love automation like that. :blush:

I'm headed to D.C. next month with my sister and we need a rental car for the weekend. I realized, I've never actually rented a car! We always do it under DH's name and use his account. For the record, we've always had excellent experiences with Hertz.

All the major car companies are about the same price for a weekend rental, but since I'm going without DH, I don't have to stick to Hertz.

MNNHFLTX
04-10-2011, 03:41 PM
Natalie, check out Enterprise's offerings in DC, if you haven't already. We are also traveling there next month and got a fantastic rate (now if only the car parking fees in DC weren't so exorbitant!)

BrerGnat
04-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Natalie, check out Enterprise's offerings in DC, if you haven't already. We are also traveling there next month and got a fantastic rate (now if only the car parking fees in DC weren't so exorbitant!)

Thanks Beth! Will do. We won't be IN D.C., so parking should be a non issue.

MNNHFLTX
04-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Thanks Beth! Will do. We won't be IN D.C., so parking should be a non issue.Wish I could say the same!