PDA

View Full Version : With gas prices so high.....

MarkC
04-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Is anyone reconsidering your Disney vacation plans this year? All prices are going up, so I've got to believe its going to make a lot of people reconsider. We're still planning on going since our airfare is booked and motel paid for, but otherwise we would strongly consider other plans.

What is anyone else thinking?

Daisy'sMom
04-08-2011, 07:00 PM
We have been planning a family reunion and have made our reservations for October. Two of my sisters and their families have decided that they most likely will cancel because of gas prices and the cost of living going up, up up. After talking with other family members I think we all will cancel if there is no good deals offered. I know we were so looking forward to this reunion and it makes me sad. I keep praying Disney will have some amazing offer for then.:mickey:

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
04-09-2011, 12:23 AM
I'm going even if I have to hitch hike to Orlando!

DizneyRox
04-09-2011, 06:21 AM
Nope, still not going to Disney this year... Although I think there might be a fuel charge on our cruise I this keeps up. I believe its only a few hundred for all of us.

Basket Mommy
04-09-2011, 09:18 AM
Nope. We're leaving 3 weeks from today and even opted to drive this time because Allegiant's flight schedule didn't match our travel dates. Nothing could keep me from the World!

Scott C
04-09-2011, 12:25 PM
Our drive is 850 miles - a little shorter than yours. But my feeling is this, if that extra $100 is going to make that much difference then I shouldn't go -- I'll budget something else to make up the difference. I will not let this stop me from going.

Thanks
Scott

Disney4us2
04-09-2011, 12:44 PM
We are going on both of our trips. We leave this coming Friday, bought our tickets back in October. For August, already bought our tickets, this time on Southwest.

merlinmagic4
04-09-2011, 12:54 PM
We have had obstacle after obstacle after obstacle but are still leaving next week, despite gas prices! We are driving from Massachusetts and the online gas estimator tells me that it will cost approximately 500.00 round trip for gas. Considering airfare has never gone below 700 per person (3500.00 for the five of us), it's a bargain!!

TheVBs
04-09-2011, 05:22 PM
We're still going! :mickey: We booked a fall trip with the free dining and plan on driving down as usual. Of course, we're hoping it won't go up much more by then, but as merlinmagic4 pointed out, it's still a huge bargain compared to airfare for four!

BellesRose
04-09-2011, 05:52 PM
We had planned on going a few times before our passes expire (We are not renewing) but gas is too expensive. Plus the cost of food for the day...and as hot as it is, we would be stopping often for drinks and ice-cream...it all adds up.

PETE FROM NYC
04-09-2011, 06:08 PM
DW and I did the drive down the last two Septembers, with me being the only driver. Without killing myself, I do the drive in 2 1/2 days.
DW and I are both handicapped, and cannot do the walking needed to get through the air terminals.
Our next trip is planned for October,2012, with us driving again, and her niece and family flying to meet us. They just do not have the extra time driving would involve.

LisaP
04-09-2011, 11:41 PM
No idea how or why, but I got a great deal on airfare back in January for travel at the end of this month on US Airways. $250/pp from PHL! Combined with the room discounts during that time, I couldn't be happier with our plans :thumbsup:

18 days til the magic begins :cloud9:

princessgirls
04-11-2011, 10:27 AM
Still going, and so thankful I booked and paid for my airfare back in January instead of waiting.

Prices are going up up and UP...

Julie:mickey:

brivers222
04-11-2011, 01:25 PM
We have a 2400 mile round trip drive in a December and I wouldn't think about cancelling it. and i still wouldn't consider flying as an option.

On a positive note, my Little honda fit gets 42mpg on the highway. Not to mention our BP visa card gives you 5% cashback on BP fuel purchases as well as letting you pay the "cash" price. starting from Last October i have now $200 saved up in BP gift cards that will be used for our trip.

Fuel prices is definitely starting to pinch but i am not going to omit disney from my wedding plans because of it :)

princessjojo
04-11-2011, 03:45 PM
We're still going. We booked our airfare several weeks ago, higher than I would have liked, but booked all the same. That was the only part of our trip whose price would fluctuate too much. Only thing left to pay for are park tickets and DDP. No way I'm backing out now...

That said, we also have a trip to Yellowstone booked for July. Thankfully, the price for this trip was locked in back in October and those airfare tickets are/should be booked now as well.

Other than those two trips, we'll only be driving to the beaches around here this summer and those trips will be greatly cut down this year. But there will be some, one this weekend as a matter of fact...

Ilovemesomedisneymom
04-11-2011, 05:38 PM
I booked our trip back in January. I must have gotten a great deal. For 4 adults, flying on Airtran and 6 days and 5 nights at POP. I paid $1297.00. What cost was my tickets, even though I got a deal by 3 days get 4 free.

I can't wait, 27 days and counting:mickey:

merlinmagic4
04-11-2011, 06:30 PM
I booked our trip back in January. I must have gotten a great deal. For 4 adults, flying on Airtran and 6 days and 5 nights at POP. I paid $1297.00. What cost was my tickets, even though I got a deal by 3 days get 4 free.

I can't wait, 27 days and counting:mickey:

I started looking for our April 2011 break airfare back in June 2010, when the major airlines release 331 days out. It is very expensive to fly during a school break! I'm sure you can still get great deals if you can travel during non-peak periods :)

MushuGrl
04-14-2011, 04:15 PM
Not going this year, more due to the high heating bills of the winter than actual gas prices though.

I'm hoping and praying for early next year!

disneygal1210
04-15-2011, 09:40 AM
I am leaving June 30 and staying til July 10:) I just booked a flight for 101 dollars thats with taxes!! Everyone should try directair! It doesn't take you into Orlando International Airport, but the other airport is only 45 minutes away and they have many ways of getting to your hotel :)

KylesMom
04-15-2011, 10:03 AM
I would suspect that a good portion of the folks who had plans to visit Disney World this year will keep them, excluding families who drive large campers to Ft. Wilderness.

As has been witnessed the past couple of years, it's been repeated over and over with regard to Disney World . . . "What recession?"

Dsnygirl
04-15-2011, 03:30 PM
We didn't re-think our plans, but we sure changed how we're getting there!! Our plane fare in the past has been around $800 (for a family of 4), and this year, it started at $1200, and quickly climbed to almost $1600!!! :faint:

So, our girls and I are driving... we're adding 2 days to the vacation to get there & back, which is possible only b/c it's summer break while we're going, and my vacation time is flexible. My DH, however, is flying, as he can't afford extra vaca time at his job. (Well, he's flying at least TO Orlando... we purchased his flight down when flights were on a downward trend about a month ago. But his flight home is still tenuous... if prices drop, he'll fly... if they stay the same or go up, he'll probably just drive home with us, if he can spare the extra day off. :crazy:)

I'm just seriously hoping gas prices drop by next year, as we'd like to take a trip that's NOT off-season, but if flying stays as pricey as it is now, that will have to be seriously re-considered.