PDA

View Full Version : Government Shut Down

Jim&AngieMarriner
04-08-2011, 10:12 AM
So as an Active duty Army member I know I am going to get paid what I am supposed to even if the Government shuts down, it just might not be when Im supposed to get it. Others are in a worse state than I am, they are just going to get an unpaid furlough (sp).

So this is my nervous vent thread. I am concerned about paying next months mortgage and next months bills if they dont get things fixed before the end of this month. I called my mortgage company and they deal almost exclusively with Military folks and they dont have a plan on how to deal with thousands of clients in the same situation.

On a happy note (sarcasm) you can be relieved that even durring the shutdown, Congress and the President and thier Staff will get paid and paid on time. So thier stress levels wont be so bad.

Anyone else feel the need to vent/rant about this?

brivers222
04-08-2011, 10:24 AM
First i am appalled at what our "leaders" are doing to all you in the Military... its outrageous!

and i find it sad that they (politicans) are complaining becuase they may have to surrender their government Issued Blackberries upon shut down.... REALLY? why don't they cut costs and get their own Smart phones with their own Data plans... like the rest of Americans.

and the IRS will not process refunds, yet they will gladly accept and cash your payments... oh and they will still fine you if you are late on your payment....

okay i am done!

Viva America!

Daisy'sMom
04-08-2011, 10:45 AM
Disgusted is not the word for it.

Let's make every senator and congressman non-essential! No pay until this is solved, no health insurance for their families until this is solved, no vacations until this is solved. Disgusting.

John
04-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Folks - as you know we don't get into politics here on INTERCOT. As a guy who lives in DC, I get enough of it every day - and see enough of it to know first hand it can really get folks who otherwise would get along just fine furious at each other.

So, if we're going to discuss it here - lets keep the blame game out of it. If you want to talk about how you might be effected, fine - but if you want to post your opinion on this party or that party, your post will be edited or deleted.

If we can't keep things focused, the whole thread will simply be removed.

Keep things focused and on track please... thanks! :thumbsup:

BTW, Jim - thank you for your service to our country!

MNNHFLTX
04-08-2011, 11:22 AM
and the IRS will not process refunds, yet they will gladly accept and cash your payments... oh and they will still fine you if you are late on your payment....

Just to clarify--the IRS has stated that people who file electronically will still receive their refunds promptly as a direct deposit (apparently it's done automatically).

Jim&AngieMarriner
04-08-2011, 11:32 AM
John, thanks for your gratitude. It used to embarass me to get thanked for serving since its a family tradition but now i just accept it and move on. Its nice to know folks care.

Just so folks understand, I started this thread to put some of my concerns down and wanted others to be able to get their fears off their chest as well. Not here to play the blame game, Im sure there is enough blame to go around if everything was known.

Lets all hope this gets settled quickly. I will eventually get the pay im due but others are on an unpaid "vacation" and wont get their money back.

MississippiDisneyFreak
04-08-2011, 11:34 AM
Yes it stinks...my mother is on a fixed income, she retired from the Postal Service so she won't get her retirement check.....

BrerGnat
04-08-2011, 12:32 PM
I'm worried about it. We're an active duty military family. We can last about three months before we'll be in trouble. I hope they find a solution without a shutdown. I find it disgraceful that they are willing to not pay the men and women in the armed forces. The petty bickering needs to stop, on both sides.

IloveDisney71
04-08-2011, 10:10 PM
My husband is one of the thousands of federal employees that will be placed on an unpaid furlough. He just got this job in December after being unemployed for a long time. It's been so nice having his paycheck and now we are worried that we are going to have to live without it again. It makes NO sense that they can't come to some sort of agreement and pass this thing! :down: