PDA

View Full Version : How do YOU handle your 'half days'?

McLiberal8
04-07-2011, 12:21 PM
I have always been curious how other people handle this.
When you are vacation planning, and are staying say, 4 nights, do you get the recommended 5 day tickets? Or do you get 4 day tickets, and fly in early on the 1st day or fly out late on the last, and have half a day outside of the parks?
Do you find it easier to rest the day you fly in, and take it easy, or avoid the parks on your last day, and get ready to depart?

NJGIRL
04-07-2011, 12:41 PM
We go to work and take a late flight in that night (usually land in MCO at 10:30 at night) so we do not waste time traveling on a park day. Our flight home is also late (around 7:30 or 8:00 at night). We always go to EPCOT the day we leave because by then we have already been there a couple of days. We get there when they open and stay until 4:30, then head for the airport. It's almost like having a whole day there.

mudpuppysmom
04-07-2011, 12:51 PM
More often that not we fly in early and that is our MGM day....sorry, I can't get used to DHS! We normally spend a half day there are we are good. If we land around 10 we can be in the park around 1 and that is stopping to grab some "supplies" and get checked into the hotel and buy our tickets. When we are done that day we get to bed early and start with full days on Day 2. Our last day we usually spend at MK -- but it is more like a full day as we get there around 10 and leave around 5:30.

Last trip my DH decided that we would not do a park day on Day 1 that we should relax and take it easy -- that threw off my entire schedule and basically all our days were slid forward one day, which made crowds less manageable! That'll be the last time he's in charge!:secret::)

MississippiDisneyFreak
04-07-2011, 01:50 PM
We drive straight through (10 hour drive) and have always gone to Downtown our arrival day . Then we spend half day in our favorite park (MK or Epcot) on departure day and stop in Lake City to spend the night before heading home the next day. We buy tickets for the amount of nights we stay.

We tried something different last trip and decided to go to a park our arrival day and it was a disaster.:crowd: DHS was so crowded we could only manage to ride Great Movie Ride before deciding to leave. Then we were not able to go to the MK on our departure day. We will definitely go back to our old plan this trip.

Maleficent_vf
04-07-2011, 01:52 PM
We usually get the extra day on the park passes - though we don't always use them. We drive, so arrival time is pretty consistently late afternoon. Our typical first day involves a nice meal at one of the "finer dining establishments" in or near Epcot and, if time permits a first viewing of Illuminations (my personal fav. nighttime show). We've also opted to dine at restaurants that are near MK for prime Wishes viewing.

SBETigg
04-07-2011, 01:53 PM
We try to make the most of every minute, schedule early flights to come in and leave on late flights. I try not to count any days as "travel days" meaning just arrival and departure, no plans. Plus, my touring style is to break everything up into half-days anyway (always park hop)- starting the day at one park, ending at another.

So if we're there five days, we consider it all possible park time and buy tickets accordingly. On the morning of our arrival, we hit a park, and then switch parks midday. On the day of our departure, we hit a park before we have to get ready to head to the airport and fly out. I like longer trips because there is more time to enjoy the resort and take some time to linger.

DizneyRox
04-07-2011, 01:58 PM
APs here, so the number of entrances doesn't matter.

But we fly in as early as possible on the first day and fly out as late as possible on the last. It's more about "paying" for the room nights. I don't see much use in "paying" for a room night if I'm just going to get up and leave. I'd rather fly out later the day before. Same thing with arrival. I'd rather sleep in my bed another night and get going early in the morning, rather than "pay" for a place to sleep.

I'm DVC, so it's a matter of points not cash, and depending on the accomodations, I'd rather use the points to extend a stay or for another get away rather than just be a place to sleep.

Having APs means we're not spending any more to just pop into a park quick on a first or last day (or an off day) and burning an admission day on a regular multi-day ticket.

Disney4us2
04-07-2011, 02:02 PM
We usually fly in early on a red eye. Go to Epcot until our room is ready etc. On our departure day we have the late flight out to Los Angeles and leave at 7pm, which gives us a good amount of time in the parks until it is time to go catch the DME.

On our December trip we arrived at 4:30pm so we didn't go to a park on arrival day.

Dedivah
04-07-2011, 02:15 PM
We normally get to MCO around 2:30 then we go to what ever park has evening EMH.

This year we are going for the Food & Wine Festival so we are going straight to EPCOT and we will have dinner there. NO ADRs needed. Well, that night atleast.

We normally have an early flight leaving so that last day is up and out.

brivers222
04-07-2011, 02:17 PM
We drive from Michigan... so we leave at like 4pm on friday, drive straight through arriving at check-in time on Saturday. Take a little nap if needed then head out to the parks for EMH at one of the parks (if available).

Then on the way home we just checkout, load up our car and then go into the Magic kingdom for a bite to eat and any last min rides we want to do...

Then drive home :)

princessgirls
04-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Everyone's touring style is different...

We are kind of like commando's.

Early flight to MCO then..., Dump the luggage at the resort and GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO:thumbsup:

Rest up on the plane!

An early evening flight home is perfect, as then we can do a few hours in a park to hit a few things. That is the best!

This is a family that does not "relax" in WDW, it is an ALL OUT closing parks kind of trip, but in my defense, over the summer, we have a boat that we use and relax on and I am a frequent patron of my town pool where I can be spotted after work, soaking up some sun, hanging in the pool with my kids and relaxing with a good book, so that being said, we like to soak up as much Disney park time as we can. But that's just us...
That's why Disney is a great place, every one can do what they want, how they want, there is no right way or wrong way! I love that!
Enjoy your trip!
Julie:mickey:

MOJoe
04-07-2011, 02:26 PM
We always hit the parks the day we arrive. No matter if it's late in the afternoon, we just can't wait to push through the turnstiles!

Departure day is different. Sometimes we all go to a park for a few hours. Sometimes none of us go. And sometimes i will take 1 son to ride his favorite during a morning EMH. It really depends. Indeed, it seems every trip ends differently.

KylesMom
04-07-2011, 04:38 PM
APs here, so the number of entrances doesn't matter.

But we fly in as early as possible on the first day and fly out as late as possible on the last.

:ditto: We're flying in on a 6:05 am flight, and returning to Chicago on a 9:00 pm flight. I should add that we're at the parks each day of our arrival and departure.

Jillirose
04-07-2011, 04:42 PM
Fly in early, fly out late and hoppers for all of the days. That way, we can enjoy our favorites one last time on the way out.

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-07-2011, 05:16 PM
We go to MK on our arrival day, and our departure day.

We arrive at Disney around 10:30am, so check-in and head to the park.

Our tradition is to have breakfast at CP, do some favourites and then head about out around noon.

Ramblingman
04-07-2011, 05:18 PM
We've always driven, so it's not that much of a problem.

Usually, we drive to Tampa, stay overnight at my mom's and get up real early so we are at the gate waiting for opening. This was great when the kids were young. They wouldn't wake up when we put them in the car, so when we nudged them and said, "wake up" they would ask where are we. We would answer, "Disneyworld". You should have seen their eyes light up. Talk about a natural alarm clock!

As for leaving, we do the same thing. We spend as much time as possible on our last day and then drive to Tampa and bunk with family.

It lets us squeeze every last drop of Disney out plus we get in a family visit.

alaMode
04-07-2011, 05:59 PM
check-in around 2:30, settle in a bit, then head to the MK around 4pm. We usually have dinner in the MK and leave after Wishes.

On departure day our flight usually leaves around 3:30pm, so we either check out around 8:30am and head to the MK for the morning, or we swim and eat lunch at the resort, before boarding ME around 1:00ish.

We have APs now, but in the past we always bought tickets for every day we'd be there, just in case...

faline
04-07-2011, 06:06 PM
We've changed things up from time to time but, typically, we like to arrive early and go to a park on our arrival day and leave late and go to a park in the morning of our departure day. There are times, though, when we've arrived very late in the evening and, therefore, not gone to a park that day.

On my last trip, I was travelling with my daughter and knew (from experience) that the 1/2 days in parks don't work for her so we had a relatively late arrival and a relatively early departure so no park time on 1st and last days.

On our next trip, we will arive early (flight lands around 9 a.m.) and will go to a park on our arrival day. However, our annual passes will expire the day before we leave so, for this trip, we will have a breakfast reservation at our resort and leave shortly after that so no park time on our departure day.

Dopey's Girl
04-07-2011, 10:40 PM
I try to fly in early and out late, but that never seems to happen (I'm a price over schedule girl!) so I generally don't go to a park on arrival or departure. It's not a huge thing though with the AP...I don't have to worry about wasting park days anymore.

crazygoalie39
04-07-2011, 11:34 PM
We always get in at about 3 or 4, check in to our resort and get settled. Then we head out for a nice dinner at a monorail resort and then head to the MK for Jungle Cruise, POTC, Spectro:( or now MSEP and Wishes. :cloud9: Well worth the extra price to go to the park on our first night.

mouseketeer mom
04-08-2011, 06:11 AM
We try to make the most of every minute, schedule early flights to come in and leave on late flights. I try not to count any days as "travel days" meaning just arrival and departure, no plans. Plus, my touring style is to break everything up into half-days anyway (always park hop)- starting the day at one park, ending at another.

So if we're there five days, we consider it all possible park time and buy tickets accordingly. On the morning of our arrival, we hit a park, and then switch parks midday. On the day of our departure, we hit a park before we have to get ready to head to the airport and fly out. I like longer trips because there is more time to enjoy the resort and take some time to linger.

Samesies!

joonyer
04-08-2011, 11:28 AM
We always drive to WDW (just 5 hours away) but on our check-out day, we don't have park passes. We get the car loaded, then go to DTD, and shop, have lunch and top our vacations off with a Ghiradelli's sundae. It's still hard to get in the car and head home.

Soccermom12
04-08-2011, 03:39 PM
We usually arrive mid afternoon. Our first stop is always Downtown Disney, where we get a quick bite to eat, do some window shopping and let the kids get started on their pin trading. Then we head back to our resort for a swim and get to bed at a reasonable hour so we can get up for park opening ceremonies at MK.

Gregandmel
04-08-2011, 11:58 PM
Our last 2 trips have been done the same way. We arrive at MCO around 11am, and get to our resort around lunchtime. We like our "arrival day" to be just that......arrive and enjoy with no "hurry hurry hurry". We have really enjoyed leisurely getting to our resort (WL on year 1 and POFQ on year 2). We check in, have lunch, swim, walk around the resort and have a nice dinner somewhere. We don't try to get to a park on our arrival day because we just like to take it easy and not be rushed. Our departure day we have had later flight times, so the ME has picked us up between 1-3pm. On departure day, we have a nice breakfast, pack up, check out, swim some more and take it easy. We love just taking it easy on our first & last day because we are pretty busy during our "park days". to each their own though.....but this really works for our family! Enjoy!!!!

steamboat willy
04-09-2011, 11:01 AM
Ours is also a 10 hour drive till we arrive at our Disney Resort (Are We There Yet?) so we don't usually have any half-days. We check in late afternoon, get the vehicle unpacked and were off to the Monorail for a loop around the world. Maybe catch Electrical Water Padget from the Poly Beach followed by Wishes. Great Start for a Great week.
First Day is always MK, Main Street, Casey's and Cinder's Castle - Last day is usually ends with MK and the "final" walk leaving Main Street USA. :balloon:

This year we my be leaving after getting GS out of school early and drive till about mid-night or when Pop Pops ready to turn in, usually St. Augustine. Jump back on the road at first light and drive into the Resort before lunch. Then our half day will be spent by the Calypso Pool, pizza under the umbrella and that Monorail ride mentioned above.

Whoo Hooooo - 167 Days :vacation:

YatesMom
04-09-2011, 01:51 PM
We're arriving at MCO at 12:30 on June 25. DH LOVES CM so I've got 5:35 res there for dinner. We have park tickets for arrival day and we're trying to decide what park to go to. If we're coming via DME and have to check in...which park should we go to, knowing that we have to be at the Contemporary Resort for 5:35 ressie? No park hoppers, so wherever we go before dinner, we'd like to return to after dinner. Can stay until close of the park as we're having a late morning, short flight. Your opinions? THANKS!! :mickey:

spoiledraf
04-09-2011, 03:47 PM
We eliminated half days when we started driving (17 hours straight through) leave at 7 pm and arrive at the Boardwalk for lunch. Stay off site for 70 bucks the night before and at the end of the last day. Get a great nights sleep before checking in around 8 and heading to MK. Last two times flying led to delays and late arrivals and lost time. And time is big money at Disney.

:fish:

LisaP
04-09-2011, 11:01 PM
For my upcoming trip I opted not to get park passes for our arrival and departure days. Traveling with 2 kids this time and DS is not quite 2, so not sure how well the air travel will go. I made dinner ressies for the luau at Poly and if the kids are up for it, we'll go to DTD after.

Departure day is a noonish flight, so breakfast at Ohana and then we're outta there.

Not my first choice, but I didn't want to overdo it our first time around with both boys :goodbad:

BrerGnat
04-10-2011, 03:18 PM
I don't count my travel days as park days at all. If I want to do 7 days in the parks, I book 8 nights.

Since I fly from CA, and I HATE red eyes, I spend a whole day getting there. I arrive around 4-5pm, then check in, unpack, and have dinner. Park time starts the next day.

On the way home, I usually fly out a bit after noon. I like to be in the room until the 11am check out time. We do our packing in the morning, have some breakfast and head out. On our last trip, we did head into Epcot for a couple hours, because we had an extra day on the ticket, but I didn't like being "rushed" in the parks, and knowing I had to be out by a certain time.

Also, I feel grimy when I'm in the parks, and I hate having to fly for over 6 hours feeling "dirty".