PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to Move to Florida!

forever a child
04-07-2011, 11:35 AM
In Fall of 2012 my DD leaves the nest for College. So far FIT is her first choice in Melbourne, Florida. She is looking at Mechanical Engineering.

I am a single parent and currently we live on campus where up until a year ago I was in a MA program getting my Master's in Theology from a Seminary. I have not been able to finish my degree (with 2 classes left) but I expect to finish them next spring too. However, my degree may or may not necessarily have any relevance on my job. I have done a lot of sales, marketing and development work prior to my attending a master's program.

So here is my question...since I have no ties to Kentucky, and I really have no interest in heading back to Michigan (I sold my property when I moved here to KY anyway). I want to also relocate to Florida. I do not need to be in Melbourne with my daughter...so where should I consider looking? I really am only interested in renting (to start with at least). However, I may consider a small condo eventually. I have two dogs so space for pets is a must!!!! I do not need a lot but I want to have a nice place for my daughter to return "home" to when she comes back from College for weekends or breaks. I need suggestions!!!

We currently live in Louisville and it is large...so if it is a large city...that is fine. However, finding a job is more likely what will dictate where I head off too. But I would like some starting grounds on places to look at that are hiring in Florida and where would be some nice places to live. Cost of living of course is always a factor, but the economy fluctuates so much that today and fall of 2012 will not necessarily be the same for growth or cost.

I would just welcome any suggestions for nice places to live, or cities to look at for work or anything else that you think I should need to know. I really hope I can make this work. We have been wanting to live in Florida for a while now and this looks like the perfect time in both my DD and my life to make this happen!

Jim&AngieMarriner
04-07-2011, 12:21 PM
I know that you are only interested in renting at the moment but housing in florida is DIRT cheap from everything I have seen. We are 2 years away from retirment from the Army and we are looking into moving down to Florida since its my dream to work for Disney in an Anti-terrorism role. Just for fun, DW and I were looking at homes for sale and its astonishing how cheap the houses are. a 4 bed 2 bath house @2200 sq ft is around 150k give or take 10k. This was in Celebration Florida which is just south of the parks. I think the biggest problem for you is land. If you have larger pets (labs, German Shepards, ect) you will probably want more of a yard.

If you do decide to buy, be aware that since Florida doesnt have a sales tax or state income tax, Property taxes will be higher than you are probably used to. But depending on how big a place you get, its will likely balance itself out. Also even if you are renting, the property tax will likely get passed on to you in your rent. I am of the opinion that buying is better in the long run if you plan on being there for a significant length of time (5+ years). You get equity in the house and you arnt just handing over money to someone else to give THEM equity.

Where to move to? That is going to depend on what your career field is I would think. I recomend putting out a resume and seeing what companies express interest. Then you can see where they are located, chose your commuting distance, and then pick where you might want to live.

forever a child
04-07-2011, 01:01 PM
I know that you are only interested in renting at the moment but housing in florida is DIRT cheap from everything I have seen. We are 2 years away from retirment from the Army and we are looking into moving down to Florida since its my dream to work for Disney in an Anti-terrorism role. Just for fun, DW and I were looking at homes for sale and its astonishing how cheap the houses are. a 4 bed 2 bath house @2200 sq ft is around 150k give or take 10k. This was in Celebration Florida which is just south of the parks. I think the biggest problem for you is land. If you have larger pets (labs, German Shepards, ect) you will probably want more of a yard.

If you do decide to buy, be aware that since Florida doesnt have a sales tax or state income tax, Property taxes will be higher than you are probably used to. But depending on how big a place you get, its will likely balance itself out. Also even if you are renting, the property tax will likely get passed on to you in your rent. I am of the opinion that buying is better in the long run if you plan on being there for a significant length of time (5+ years). You get equity in the house and you arnt just handing over money to someone else to give THEM equity.

Where to move to? That is going to depend on what your career field is I would think. I recomend putting out a resume and seeing what companies express interest. Then you can see where they are located, chose your commuting distance, and then pick where you might want to live.

Thanks for the suggestions. Hope you get into Disney! :thumbsup:

My dogs are medium in size. My aussie is about 38 lbs, and my shepherd mix is about 30 lbs. My current apartment in campus is about 1000 sq ft. I want to stay with at least this size or a little larger. The reason I want to rent is that being single, I really do not like to have to deal with upkeep. I really don't want to be tide down anywhere now that my DD will be independent. If I decide I want to move somewhere else....I want to be able to do that and realestate does not allow you that flexibility. I don't want to get into renting it out either. But if after some time I like the area and my job...then a condo would be fine.

I have found jobs already that I would like to apply to. But since I could not relocate for over a year now...I have held off submitting my resume. When would be a good time? I was thinking around January of 2012...or at least late this fall as a starting point.

Daisy'sMom
04-07-2011, 03:12 PM
We live on the west coast of Florida, north of Tampa. My DH is an attorney and he commutes to Tampa daily. Disney used to be an hour and half drive but now with the traffic, it takes us about two. Our taxes are alot cheaper here than in Orange County and surrounding areas. Sounds like you want to be close to a city with your career, so Orlando, Tampa is great.
We have the best of both worlds here. We have land for our horses and shepherds, and of course lots of room for the grandchildren ( Only one so far). We used to live in Clermont but moved about ten years ago. We love it here. :mickey:

forever a child
04-07-2011, 05:00 PM
We live on the west coast of Florida, north of Tampa. My DH is an attorney and he commutes to Tampa daily. Disney used to be an hour and half drive but now with the traffic, it takes us about two. Our taxes are alot cheaper here than in Orange County and surrounding areas. Sounds like you want to be close to a city with your career, so Orlando, Tampa is great.
We have the best of both worlds here. We have land for our horses and shepherds, and of course lots of room for the grandchildren ( Only one so far). We used to live in Clermont but moved about ten years ago. We love it here. :mickey:

Any particular cities I should look at north of Tampa?

Ed
04-07-2011, 08:00 PM
If you do decide to buy, be aware that since Florida doesnt have a sales tax or state income tax, Property taxes will be higher than you are probably used to.

I need to correct you on that. There is no state income tax, but there definitely is a sales tax, and that varies from county to county. The state minimum is 6%, and counties can add on their local taxes. For example, in my county, the total sales tax is 7%; if I drive a few miles into Orange County, it's 6.5%, and in Brevard (where FIT is located) it's only 6%.

Also be aware that if you rent, for the first six months you will also have to pay a 6% tax on your rent. After six months, that tax is dropped.

As stated, real estate in the Central Florida area is dirt cheap at the moment. Foreclosures and short sales make up a large portion of the available housing at the moment. Homes that sold for $400K when new five years ago can be had for $200K or less now. While that's a terrible situation for the seller, it's a bonanza for buyers. And the reduced value of the home also means a lower assessed value for property tax purposes; my own property tax dropped by almost 33% between last year and this year. (Fortunately, I'm in a situation where I have no intention or desire to sell in the foreseeable future.)

Remember too that homeowner's/renter's insurance is rather expensive thanks to a few occasional hurricanes. Auto insurance also tends to be on the pricy side.

Our small city is about 40 miles directly west of Melbourne; US 192 runs directly through both cities. We're about 22 miles from WDW, if that's part of your selection criteria.

As for employment opportunities, I have to honestly say they're not so great; Central Florida has one of the highest unemployment rates in the state, and most of the open jobs are in either the medical fields or the hospitality field.

Bottom line - - I'd definitely recommend buying as opposed to renting. Chances are excellent that you can find a very nice home with a mortgage payment that's less than rent on a comparable property, and you'd be building up equity.

Jim&AngieMarriner
04-07-2011, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the correction about the sales tax. A Co Worker who claims to have lived there told me there was not a sales tax. Guess I should have did my own research.

murphy1
04-08-2011, 01:26 PM
I love Melbourne! It is so laid back there. I have family there and still try to get there once or twice a year. I used to work in insurance, and home insurance is limited due to what agent's can offer (they usually put you in a state run pool), but housing, like everyone said, is super cheap. I grew up in Tampa area and I still love it there. I'm not a fan of Orlando traffic. If you like Melbourne, check out an area called Viera, it's a newer area and they have some really nice condos and townhouses, they are also building a new medical center I believe and The Avenue shopping area is nice.

Shari

forever a child
04-08-2011, 07:24 PM
Thanks Shari for the info on Viera! We will check it out.

Both my daughter and I would be happy in a small town. As long as she has some friends to hang out with...then the beach, a few restaurants, and of course having WDW within a short drive are going to make her and me as well, happy.

We both are excited and can't wait to make it all happen! :mickey:

Ramblingman
04-18-2011, 02:20 PM
I grew up just outside Tampa, in Brandon. It's a great area but it has really grown over the years.

If you are looking for more acreage and peace and quiet, I would suggest the Mango or Seffner areas. Maybe Plant City. Lots of good land to be had very cheap.

If you are wanting to be closer to the water, there are a couple of ways you can go. Largo is a great area, very close to everything (just south of Clearwater, just north of St Pete, just across the bay from Tampa), but the land you can get is probably going to be smaller. Plenty of animal friendly housing though.

If you want more space or less clustered surroundings but still want to stay near the water, try Safety Harbor, Oldsmar, or you may even want to go up around Tarpon Springs. They host an annual sponge festival with the diving for the cross (it's a huge Greek Orthodox area). Very nice, friendly area and lots of tourism, too.

It all depends on what kind of surroundings you want. There is plenty to do in Tampa and St Pete and any of those cities will be close enough to take advantage.

Good luck both on DD's school and your move.

forever a child
04-22-2011, 02:37 PM
I grew up just outside Tampa, in Brandon. It's a great area but it has really grown over the years.

If you are looking for more acreage and peace and quiet, I would suggest the Mango or Seffner areas. Maybe Plant City. Lots of good land to be had very cheap.

If you are wanting to be closer to the water, there are a couple of ways you can go. Largo is a great area, very close to everything (just south of Clearwater, just north of St Pete, just across the bay from Tampa), but the land you can get is probably going to be smaller. Plenty of animal friendly housing though.

If you want more space or less clustered surroundings but still want to stay near the water, try Safety Harbor, Oldsmar, or you may even want to go up around Tarpon Springs. They host an annual sponge festival with the diving for the cross (it's a huge Greek Orthodox area). Very nice, friendly area and lots of tourism, too.

It all depends on what kind of surroundings you want. There is plenty to do in Tampa and St Pete and any of those cities will be close enough to take advantage.

Good luck both on DD's school and your move.

Thanks for the locations to check out. At this point (cheap or not...I really only want a condo). I am not interested in having to deal with upkeep of property. I dont mind having to drive to water. I prefer less congested areas although I realize that finding a job may mean I have to deal with that. I am not really a commuter...so if I have to live in larger city to avoid long commute for work...that is fine. Just put my resume in on a sales position with territory in northern Fl...so that would work too. I don't mind driving for sales...just not a "sit in the office all day kind of a person...I like to be out and about in the world :)". If I did buy land...it would be with the idea that it was cheap and I wouldn't live on it but wait till DD graduated and then she could build on it if she likes...or just save it as a place to go and take dogs out exloring for fun. I just dont want hassle of home stuff. But I figure I really want at least 6 months renting in state to get a feel for where I would like to be...condo or anything else.

I realize many look at this as investment...I just dont want real estate as my investment. I have been tied down to one location long enough in life. Once DD is out on her own...well, I am a free agent! ;)