PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars weekends - any insight?

Ksmith75
04-06-2011, 10:32 AM
So my DH and I decided to book for 6 days in mid May. Granted, we just got back from a 10 day trip in March, but we couldnt help ourselves. (We will be there on our 5th wedding anniversary - just booked it all last night!!! woo hoo). Anyway, can anyone tell me about Star Wars weekends...I have read up on it, but was wondering what some of you thought. We have gone now 6 times in the last 5 years, but never during the Star wars weekends...we are excited.
Thanks!

JasonH
04-06-2011, 11:58 AM
First of all, pre-congrats for your 5th anniversary. :)

So you're gonna be there during the Star Wars Weekends. Prepare to see a lot of people geeked out in Star Wars fashion (I would prolly be one of em if I had a chance to. :laughing:) Now it has been several years since I've last been there for the Weekends but if things haven't changed much on how they do things, then what I have to say will be a pretty good primer. And you are in for quite a Star Wars treat.

If you're looking to try to get autographs of any stars that will be there, be prepared to get there early....and I mean early as in at least 30 mins before the park opens to get in line to get inside, if not more than 30 mins. You may even want to find out ahead of time (like the day before you go to DHS) through guest services to see if they can tell you how they'll have it set up for the lines to see/get autographs of the stars. Last time I was there they had you get a line bracelet for each star and they had you get it at the spot where the star would be at. So if they still do that, make sure you rush to the one you and/or DH want to see the most and then go for the other stars if there are any. My last year I was there, I was able to see Anthony Daniels (C-3PO), Billy Dee Williams (Lando Calrissian) and Michonne Bourriague (Aurra Sing) all in the same day.

Now besides the star meet and greets, there are other happenings. There's face paintings (for a price of course), the Young Jedi Acadamy, Dancing With The Star Wars Stars (very funny), a Star Wars themed parade, getting pics with characters from the movies (gotta love getting a pic with Chewbacca or Darth Maul :D) among other things that they've done in the past and still do.

But I will say this....be prepared to have a good chunk of your day be taken up by just doing even some of these activities. And of course be prepared for longer than usual lines for the entire park, even moreso for Star Tours, since there will be lots of people there. Otherwise, just take your time and don't rush anything and you will have a blast! I know I have. :yoda::chewy::ewok::trooper::darth:

lioness8978
04-06-2011, 12:04 PM
We'll be there too!! :)

Hope you have a great time. I know we will :).

MOJoe
04-06-2011, 01:06 PM
This will be the most exciting Star Wars Weekends in many years. Mainly due to the reopening of Star Tours. But also because Disney is expanding the Star Wars presence in the Studios.
From what i have heard, the merchandise tent will be in the Rockin Roller Coaster courtyard. So, for the first time, Star Wars characters and merchandise will be on that side of the park. Also, the Hyperspace Hoopla, that fun, zany end of the day event, will be held at the Sorcerors Hat. Not at the cramped, impossible to view, Jedi Training stage. A long overdue change.

The celebrity actors to appear are Anthony Daniels, weeks 1 & 2. Jeremy Bullock, week 3. And Peter Mayhew, week 4. But others are expected. James A. Taylor is hosting, as well as Ashley Eckstein, of Clone Wars fame. If you want autographs, lining up 30 minutes before park opening may not be early enough. For the most coveted autographs, 3 hours early is not uncommon.

The reopening of Star Tours, is scheduled for May 20th. There is rumored to be an opening ceremony at 10 a.m. And cast members have been told to expect the line to circle the Streets of America. That puts the potential wait time at 4 hours for the opening day. And possibly that long for the entire first weekend. Fastpass may not be available the first weekend, giving everyone an equal disadvantage! It looks like Disney is preparing for huge crowds the weekend of the 20th, and is expecting large crowds the 2nd weekend.
Even so, this is certain to the the epicenter of the Star Wars universe for the last 2 weekends of May. Hope to see you there!

Ramblingman
04-06-2011, 01:16 PM
We are going to be there. It was not timed for the Star Wars weekend, it just happened to happily coincide. We plan on getting as much in as possible. Not sure if we are going to be able to get any autographs or not, but looking forward to the atmosphere with all the costumes, etc.

We are planning on long waits and praying for patience.

MNNHFLTX
04-06-2011, 02:53 PM
My son and I had a great time at one of the Star Wars weekends a couple of years ago (and I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, so that tells you something!) The "talk show" was surprisingly fun, especially with participation of the Star Troopers. The parade was interesting too--all the characters are pretty up close and personal, which makes for some wild pictures! I do have to say that that was one parade where people tried to walk up at the last minute and get a prime viewing location, evening if someone else has already been standing there, waiting (more so than I have seen at any other parade).

lovinmesomedisney
04-06-2011, 09:15 PM
We went once because my son at the time was a fanatic. I have to say, it was an unforgettable experience. It was interesting to say the least. I know it had to be about 90 degrees, and yet there were entire families walking around in full star wars costume. I'll never forget waiting in line to get a picture with Jedi Mickey, and low and behold there was a couple with about 10 stuffed animals, all dressed in Star Wars costumes, and they took a picture with them ONE AT A TIME!!! OMG, I thought my husband was going to stroke out right then and there. :D I'm glad we took my son, but that being said, I probably wouldn't go back because of the crowds. It was a nice experience for him and his cousins, who were thrilled to spend time with the storm troopers, ewoks, Wookies, Darth Vader and all the others. For the rest of us, it is a very funny memory. There are some serious hard core Star Wars fans there. :yoda::trooper::chewy:

LVT
04-07-2011, 07:05 AM
I love the hoopla.
There are secondary characters wandering around the area and getting into lines.
I have some good photos of being in a crowd with an Ewok and a guard of some sort, watching princess Leia pass.
Enjoy.