PDA

View Full Version : Lancaster, PA

DisneyDog
04-05-2011, 06:51 PM
We were going to plan a trip to DC, but changed our minds and decided to stay closer to home. So, we planned a 3 night/4 day weekend to Lancaster at the end of May. Got a great deal at the Doubletree, which apparently has a very nice indoor and outdoor pool.

We have taken many a day trip to Lancaster, but never stayed over. Any suggestions for a family of 3 with an 8 year old DS? Restaurants? Activities?

brownie
04-05-2011, 07:33 PM
You would be about 40 minutes or so from Hersheypark and Hershey's Chocolate World if you wanted to take a day trip there from Lancaster. Unfortunately, that's about the extent of my knowledge.

NJGIRL
04-05-2011, 07:34 PM
That's hard. We have stayed for long weekends in Lancaster but when my son was much younger than 8 yrs old. We did the "Thomas" weekend several times, Dutch Wonderland and outlet shopping.

How about a ride on the Strausburg Railroad, the train museum is also there (full size trains), mini golf, a stop at the Copper Kettle Village, there is also a very nice toy train "museum" but I can't remember the name.

IamaDisneyFan
04-06-2011, 08:21 AM
If the Doubletree is the one at Willow Valley, then the Herr's Potato Chip factory is about 25 minutes south of you. It's a fun, free tour with samples of hot chips at the end. YUM! You have to make a tour reservation, but it is definitely worth it.

Also, the Kitchen Kettle Village, Canning Company, and Pretzel Factory in Intercourse are all free to visit. Kitchen Kettle is a quaint shopping village with cute little shops. The Canning Company is fun with lots of things to sample. I've never done the Pretzel Factory, but have heard it's fun as well.

If you want to drive around the Amish country, check out Rt 896 down into Strasburg to May Post Office Rd into Quarryville. Lot's of neat things to see.

If you do the Herr's factory, stop in at the Solanco Market (amish goods) on 272, south of The Buck. Oh, and speaking of The Buck, the main attraction there is Buck Motor Sports with tractor pulls and demolition derbys on the weekends in the summer.

Have fun!!!

DisneyDog
04-06-2011, 04:17 PM
We thought about Hershey, but it's kinda far from where we will be staying, and we could easily make a day trip out of that. We are only an hour from Lancaster, door-to-door. I've always wanted to do the Herr's factory tour. That sounds like fun. I'd like to do the Amish tour type-thing. And, of course, there's outlet shopping, although I'm only 10 minutes from the Philadelphia Premium Outlets. LOL.

Anyone have any recommendations for Amish-style restaurants?

wdwfansince75
04-06-2011, 04:24 PM
There is so much to do in the PA Dutch Country...something for everyone! There is a pa dutch country website, you can look at all there is to offer in the Lancaster-Hershey area.

I am a railroad nut, so for us, no trip was complete without a trip to Strasburg...and we all love food, so no trip is complete without a stop at Good and Plenty or Plain and Fancy...

Lots to see and do...way back, when we lived in MD, and in-laws lived in NEPA, we often met for the day or weekend in the Dutch Country. Kids loved Dutch Wonderland...sized for them.

Think the Renaissance Faire is still in the area...north of Lancaster on Rt 72...Mt Hope area...Usually opens late in the Summer....Should be on the website. Kids really enjoyed the one near Annapolis more...haven't been to either in years.

kaylamag
04-06-2011, 09:06 PM
Rockvale outlets has a disney store:mickey:

DisneyDog
04-08-2011, 11:43 AM
We are definitely hitting the Disney Store at the outlets!

Actually, we are going to Rehoboth for the weekend next week, and we will probably end up at the outlets there, too. They have a Disney store:mickey: