PDA

View Full Version : Little Ones and the Funny Things They Say

meldan98
04-05-2011, 02:38 PM
My 2 year old dd, Maddie, has a few little quirks in what she calls some things and it is quite funny (sometimes). When my mom or a friend watches her, I sometimes feel we need to leave a list of english translations so that neither my dd or the one watching her get frustrated or embarassed. Here are a few of the translations I should include.

Minnie - This could mean Minnie, Mickey or Maddie
Adeedo - Means Tinkerbell - I have no idea where she came up with that one. When anyone tries to correct her, she definatly says, "No Adeedo!"
Excuse You - Means excuse me. When we try to get her to say "excuse me" she smiles and says "excuse you". I don't think I've ever heard her say "excuse me". It is rather embarassing when we are in a crowd and she starts screaming "excuse you".

Do any of your kids have quirky things they say?

buzznwoodysmom
04-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Oh my kids had tons.

My oldest had trouble with "L's", so he would say baddoon (balloon), Connin (Collin-his name), dight (light), and he called his little brother Andon (Landon), those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head. One day he asked me for "some bagles", or at least that's what it sounded like to me. We never eat bagles so I asked my mom, who babysat him at the time, if she ever fed him bagles. She said no. So for a long, long time; probably months the poor kid would ask for "some bagles, please mommy". One day we were in a store and he got really excited, pointed to SpagettiO's and said "that mommy, some bagles". I said "oh you want spagettio's", and he'd say "yes, some bagles". I thought it was hilarious!

My younger son would always say "I wanna hold you", meaning he wanted us to hold him. And instead of saying "give me 5", he'd say "give me a 5". He also had trouble with "th" so he called his thumb a flumb, and thunder was flunder. He also called Chip and Dale, Chip and Dip for a very long time. And he'd tell me one day he was going to marry me and I was going to be his "life" instead of wife.

And while this isn't exactly the same thing, my youngest, now 9 said something to me the other day that just melted my heart. Out of the blue he said "Momma, I love you". I said "I love you too sweet pea". He said "I'm going to live longer than you, aren't I?". I said "Well I hope so, children are supposed to live longer than their parents". He said "I hope we live till the same time". Oh that just broke my heart and made it melt all at the same time. There is so much love in that little guys heart!

Great topic!

Janmac
04-05-2011, 04:10 PM
When my grandniece was about 2 she said Berlissa for my cousin Melissa. When I once said Berlissa to my niece, she quickly corrected me: No! BER-lissa!!

She could not hear that she was not saying Melissa.

She would also say Bernita instead of Renita for a cousin of hers.

She's six and a half now and misprounounces fewer words, but it's hilarious the substitutions she puts into songs that she sings. And defnitely, we can not correct her. She knows she's singing the right words. I wish I could think of an example. One of her favorite songs is the World Above from Little Mermaid, sung at the top of her lungs, incorrect words and all.

Jan

Ramblingman
04-05-2011, 05:05 PM
One of the funniest I have ever heard was my sister. When she was young, we got home from going somewhere and my dad came around to her car door and asked, "May I help Madame out?" Without batting an eyelash, and oblivious to what she was saying, she said, "I'll help Madame self out."

As for my kids, my son did letter substitution as others on here have mentioned. He eventually went to a speech therapist. We found out he could make all the sounds, he was just substituting. So for a few years I was Gaggy instead of Daddy.

I have some things he said while young written down at home. I'll look them up and share them later. There were so many.

sassafras
04-05-2011, 06:03 PM
When our now grown niece was tiny, she insisted on calling DH "Bruce" even though his name is Steve. Never have figured out where she came up with that one or why!

Jillirose
04-05-2011, 06:14 PM
How about 'Lasterday' for yesterday and 'Nexterday' for tomorrow?! I loved it when my daughter made up those.

disney obsessed
04-05-2011, 06:45 PM
I have a bunch but these are my favorites.

Tory called grapes Pulls. I guess because they where pulled off the stem. It took a few days to figure it out.

Carly called Julie Doollie. Her favorite color was lellow. I also remember her asking what 3 plus 4 plus 7 dot com equalled.

Julie called Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Snow White and the Seven Dorks. She was very little and had no clue.

brownie
04-05-2011, 07:40 PM
Our older son came up with some good ones:

"Icemellows" meant marshmallows.

"The batteries are dry" meant the batteries died.

"Get your dressed on" meant get dressed.

"Grandpa & Grandma Rapids" or "the Rapids" referred to my parents who live in Grand Rapids.

"Disney's California" was how he always referred to California Adventure.

Kenny1113
04-05-2011, 07:58 PM
We have alot as well, here are some off the top of my head

"push buttons" for the remote control, we still call it that and my oldest is now 10!

"byes" for his pacifier
"bear milk" for the pediasure
My little one (now 7) used to call chip and Dale "chicken Dale". It was quite a laugh at the campfire ;)

Our favorite (which maybe only our family can appreciate, but here goes) my oldest used to call his grandfathers "papa" and used to differentiate by the color of their house - "papa yellow" "papa brown". Well somewhere along the way, "papa brown" ( who owned cats ) became "papakitties".
My son is 10 and still calls him this, DS7 calls him this and we r going to try to get DN 4months to call him this eventhough he no longer owns cats.

Kenny1113
04-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Forgot one:
My little one used to call a bathing suit "baby sue"

buzznwoodysmom
04-05-2011, 09:07 PM
Oh I have another one. One year for Easter my youngest kept saying he didn't want to dye Easter eggs. We couldn't figure out why. Most kids love to dye Easter eggs right??? Then finally he asked why did we want to kill eggs!

Mousefever
04-05-2011, 09:50 PM
I've tried to instill a love of good music in my son, starting from a young age. I didn't realize that his interpretation of song titles was very age-appropriate until, as a 5 year old, he said, "Mommy, let's listen to Juice Box Hero!"

Amy

lovewalt
04-06-2011, 01:10 AM
My DD used to call Ravioli,Okey Dokeys.

meldan98
04-06-2011, 12:44 PM
I almost forgot about what my oldest used to do when she was little. She would watch Chicken Little and would sing along to the "We are the Champions" however she would substitute Chickens for Champions. She would sing at the top of her lungs, "We are the Chickens, my friend..."

baby minnie's mommy
04-06-2011, 01:46 PM
My 2-yr.-old recently insisted Daddy was "vacuuming the grass." (mowing the lawn)

DD used to say "I wanna carry you" when she wanted to be carried.

:)

BrerGnat
04-06-2011, 03:51 PM
My younger son has a lot of speech issues. For a long time, EVERYTHING was "GEE". Everything.

"Be Mommy" was said when he was upset and wanted me to comfort him. Even still, when he has a tantrum, my OLDER son will yell out "Be Mommy" to taunt my younger.

My parents are "Grandma Green" and "Grandpa Green". I have no idea why. Their last name is NOT Green. ;)

DisneyDog
04-06-2011, 04:19 PM
I've got a great one that just happened this morning. I was brushing my DS8's hair by the sink in my bathroom. He saw I had generic Vaseline, which is, of course, labelled "Petroleum Jelly." He asked if that was from Harry Potter. I asked him to explain and he said, "you know, like Expecto Petroleum!"

buzznwoodysmom
04-06-2011, 05:32 PM
I've got a great one that just happened this morning. I was brushing my DS8's hair by the sink in my bathroom. He saw I had generic Vaseline, which is, of course, labelled "Petroleum Jelly." He asked if that was from Harry Potter. I asked him to explain and he said, "you know, like Expecto Petroleum!"

This one made me laugh out loud. My kids are HP fans, and my youngest always says "A Fart A Kedavra", instead of "Avada Kedavra ", then he makes a "fart" sound with his mouth. He thinks its hilarious, even though mom doesn't like it.....(sigh) boys?????

Erin C.
04-19-2011, 07:58 PM
Just a couple. My DD who is now 17 used to pronounce these wrong:

Cinderella = Cilerenda

Lactose Intolerant = "Black Toast" Intolerant

Not going to admit how long we let her pronounce them wrong!!!! :secret:

riley1129
04-19-2011, 08:01 PM
Just a couple. My DD who is now 17 used to pronounce these wrong:

Cinderella = Cilerenda

Lactose Intolerant = "Black Toast" Intolerant

Not going to admit how long we let her pronounce them wrong!!!! :secret:

This is very true!!!! i was 12 STILL calling it "Black Toast" intolerant!!!!

magicofdisney
04-19-2011, 08:32 PM
There are so many cute things kids say. I wish I'd written down or recorded it all as a keepsake. My husband and I were just talking about this the other day with our oldest.

When our oldest was a toddler he was on a mad search for his "copper rabbin". I could not figure out what it was, so much where it was. Finally his frustration reached it peak. I kept telling him I didn't know what a "copper rabbin" is. He threw his arms up in the air and began flying around the room making flying noises. Within a split second I learned his "copper rabbin" was his helicopter. :)

MissMaryPoppins
04-28-2011, 03:47 PM
These have been really funny! I've been told that when I was about 2 or 3 I called rosary beads "grocery beans". We have many Michaels
in our family so we call my brother Mikey to make things a little less confusing. When one of my cousins was little she insisted his name was Monty and called him that every time she saw him.

Georgesgirl1
04-28-2011, 07:14 PM
ODS, who is 2, has lots of these!
Mimi means Mickey.
He calls mailboxes, e-mail boxes (definitely a child of the 21st century)!
Instead of saying Uh oh Spaghetti-O, he says Uh oh Basketball.
My dad has been in India for business for the past few weeks. He says, "G-Daddy in Indidia!" He also thinks that India is somewhere in the computer b/c we have been talking to him on Skype a few times a week!

Pan
05-06-2011, 12:23 AM
My 4 y.o. dd still tells me she wants me to take her a bath. Hand sanitizer is hanatizer, and she absolutely cannot say gift certificate, comes out givaticketit.

Tinksalot
05-06-2011, 10:21 AM
My youngest granddaughter used to call Snow White, "Snow Wipe". Even now we call her Snow Wipe. :mickey:

joonyer
05-06-2011, 10:31 AM
When my boys were toddlers, the oldest one (then two) referred to Winnie as "Benny the Poop". Little brother picked it up and they still think it is hilarious to call him that today, even though they are teenagers. Ok; so they think its hilarious now because they are teenagers. Eeyore was "Weebore".