PDA

View Full Version : Mission Space-Green

MississippiDisneyFreak
04-05-2011, 09:39 AM
I'm afraid of heights and don't do roller coasters...I've always been scared to try Mission Space but my son says there is nothing to it...what would you compare it to ? Is it high off the ground? I know this one is the version that doesn't spin.....thinking about trying it out.:scared:

RBrooksC
04-05-2011, 09:50 AM
I'm afraid of heights and don't do roller coasters...I've always been scared to try Mission Space but my son says there is nothing to it...what would you compare it to ? Is it high off the ground? I know this one is the version that doesn't spin.....thinking about trying it out.:scared:

Heights has nothing to do with it. This ride is an update of the old carnival "rotor" ride. The Orange version spins to created the gravity. You feel like you are moving forward due to the screens and video you are shown. Unless you look away from the screen, you never feel it spinning.

Now, even if you don't feel it spinning, it can do a number on your equilibrium. I usually have to get a drink and sit down after the ride. However, with that being said, the ride is fantastic and one should try the orange side at least once.

DisneyDINK
04-05-2011, 09:54 AM
It is a simulator ride in a confined space. Heights aren't an issue, but if you are claustraphobic that might be a problem. You are loaded in groups of four, so there will be someone else next to you going through the same thing.

I usually emerge from the MS feeling like I do when I get off Star Tours, a bit nausious due to all of the movement without a real visual point of reference. The ride vehicle is a huge wheel. In the red version they spin you to produce the G-forces. In the Green version they omit the spinning part, but it is still disorienting, less so, but still not totally tame.

If I were you I'd probably give it a try. It is hard to leave a Disney experience untried.

MississippiDisneyFreak
04-05-2011, 10:01 AM
I definitely will not do orange but may try green....depends on how brave I am that day:bolt:

MarkC
04-05-2011, 11:44 AM
Don't know if this helps, but my wife and I are 50'ish and have no problem with it. You're never more than 2' off the ground although the simulator will want you to believe otherwise. Disney has done a good job of blowing cold air on your face during the ride to help keep you feeling cool and calm. Other than the cab tilting forward a little bit there isn't much motion. I don't think its any worse than Star Tours, and definitely better than the old Body Wars ride. If you can handle those you should be fine.

MississippiDisneyFreak
04-05-2011, 11:57 AM
That's exactly what I was looking for thanks for the information

McLiberal8
04-05-2011, 12:25 PM
Here's another vote, encouraging you to try out the Orange ride, just once.

It really is an incomparable experience to anything you'll ever do.

Yes, you will probably not want to walk right back on after you ride, and might need to take a sitting break for a few moments to get your equelibrium back, but the sensation of the g-forces while blasting into outer space is truely awesome.

And really, it's nothing like a roller coaster. If you let Disney tell the story, like they do so well, you don't even realize your spinning/on a ride. :thumbsup:

DisneyFr33k
04-05-2011, 01:56 PM
I went on it before you had a choice, so it was orange. And, boy did it impact me in a negative way for the rest of the day. It made me so tired, I felt like I needed hours, and hours of sleep. I went to the medical office there at Epcot to ask if what I was experiencing was normal and the nurse confirmed I had a bad case of motion sickness. Funny thing is, I was not at all nauseous, just very, very, very tired and fuzzy-brained. And it lingered all day.... ruining my day at Epcot.

So, green for me! It has been a blessing! I love it!

Goofy Texan
04-05-2011, 04:22 PM
The best comparison to the feeling on the ride - that you may be familier with is a Tilt-a-Whirl. You know, the carnival ride with cars that look like shells. It goes in a a big circle over small hills and the car has a pivot point on it's front edge and depending how it hits the hills will spin around that point. Some times the spin goes around and around several times and you get pushed into the back of the seat.

Mission Space Orange has that same feel, except you don't see the world spinning around. The sensation doesn't last the whole ride. You'll feel it during the launch, then again as you sling shot around the moon, and then one other time - I think as you approach Mars. The launch is the most intense (and fun). If you can ride a Tilt-a-Whirl (or could as a teenager), then Mission Space Orange should be fun for you.

LVT
04-06-2011, 07:07 AM
Follow the directions implicitly.
I am 55 and love this ride, the G-force is primarily head to toe so you feel heavy, not much diagonal affect (which disorients me on the spinning swing style of rides).

MississippiDisneyFreak
04-06-2011, 08:02 AM
I did ride Tilt a whirl as a teen but have developed ear problems since then and don't think I can handle orange...I wanted to know if I could handle green and I'm thinking it will be okay now.....

ransam
04-06-2011, 01:53 PM
i have done both, i like the easier one. you get the same effects, just not the rush. to me, i didn't like the more advanced one. I could almost feel the blood rushing to the back of my head. weird feeling.