PDA

View Full Version : Most dangerous things you've seen at a Disney park

teamblackwell
04-04-2011, 07:23 PM
After reading the thread about funniest things you have heard at disney, it reminded me of the most dangerous things I've seen at Disney. While at California Adventure, my son and I were riding ToT and the ride just stops suddenly. Over the loud speaker a voice says "We saw you". After a few minutes the elevator goes down a few levels, the door opens and security is calling a teenager off the ride. I ask the girl next to me what happened and she said the boy was her brother, and he lossened the restraining belt all the way and sat on it so it looked like he was safely strapped in. When the drops happened he pulled out the strap out so he could float in the air. If he would have come free from the strap completely, he could have crushed somebody.
Forrest Gump was right, Stupid is as stupid does.

joanna71985
04-04-2011, 07:44 PM
People trying to exit the park by running right in front of the parade. Yeah, running in front of a 5-ton float (or however heavy it is) that can't stop on a dime is a real good idea

Dopey's Girl
04-04-2011, 07:46 PM
I watched a lady holding her kid up on a railing in Epcot, on the bridge between France and England. She was holding onto the toddler by the belt loop on her pants, and was talking on the phone, not paying any attention to what her daughter (not more than 18 months) was doing. While it's not as reckless as the ToT dope, it is a pretty long drop for a baby who most likey couldn't swim.

brownie
04-04-2011, 10:02 PM
A double-wide stroller! :D

AnnaMom
04-04-2011, 11:49 PM
I second that "A double-wide stroller"

JasonH
04-05-2011, 01:57 AM
I once had seen an elderly gentleman, instead of getting INTO the Doom Buggy, get in front of the Doom Buggy and sit on the front part of it as though that's the way you were supposed to sit during the ride. They had to stop the ride of course and safely move him into the ride vehicle. But still, goes to show sometimes you can't assume EVERYONE knows how to get into a ride vehicle.

MarkC
04-05-2011, 09:23 AM
Someone tried to get a bite of my chocolate cake from the pastry shop in France. Had they been successful, they would not have survived.

ginger19
04-05-2011, 09:31 AM
I was going to put that my DH tried to get a sip of my Lapu Lapu once but seriously....the driver of our boat from MK to the Poly was texting on her cell phone while driving the boat at night.

Silver_Surfer
04-05-2011, 11:06 AM
A young boy that was abandon at Down town

MississippiDisneyFreak
04-05-2011, 11:20 AM
Women walking around the parks in high heels...makes my feet hurt just thinking about it

McLiberal8
04-05-2011, 11:34 AM
Anyone else get nervous on those flatboats to Tom Sawyer Island?

They always pack them full, and people are so close to falling off each time the boat jerks..

Puppy Mom
04-05-2011, 11:45 AM
Parents letting young children push strollers right into other people........ ok maybe not as dangerous as you meant, but it is a pet peave for me.:mad:

DisneyFr33k
04-05-2011, 01:52 PM
To me, it would most definitely be allowing me to complete in the American Idol competition. :nono:

KatieDuck22
04-05-2011, 01:54 PM
my sister got her foot ran over a few times by those electrice wheel chair scooter things...people are aggressive when it comes to parade seating.

teamblackwell
04-05-2011, 04:12 PM
Those ECV's are getting out of hand. Sometimes you'll see a line of them coming towards you, it looks like a military convoy!!
I bet if some current or former CM's posted on this thread, you would hear some real horror stories, I can only imagine what happens at WDW daily, we don't see.

CanadaLovesDisney
04-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Simliar to a post above but I have to say kids climbing is soo dangerous! The rocks in front of the Canadian pavilion during illuminations are not for sitting your 4 year old on. Also a kid on the bus putting her mouth on the metal handrail like it was a Popsicle. I thought I was going to be sick thinking of the germs!

Also wait for the ride to completely stop before u jump off!

Aurora
04-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Also a kid on the bus putting her mouth on the metal handrail like it was a Popsicle. I thought I was going to be sick thinking of the germs!

On a non-Intercot discussion board a poster wrote that she was 99 percent sure her child got a stomach bug from face painting because they are really careful about constant handwashing and quarantining their children days before their trip. I laughed so hard. Can you imagine sitting in the same seats, running your hands down the same handrails, pulling on the same lap bars as thousands of other people at Disney World and believing your child got sick from FACE PAINT?

:laughing:

cfoshe
04-06-2011, 12:03 AM
3 years ago we seen a croidile swimming in the lake inside MK by splash mountain. The only thing between splash mountain and it was the side of the ride that is built up.

KylesMom
04-06-2011, 12:35 AM
I would have to say that the most dangerous thing we see year after year in the summertime is folks sauntering through the parks during severe lightining storms like they're invincible. I love "Singin' & Dancin' in the Rain" as much as the next romantic person, but I don't think folks realize that lightning in Florida is a real danger!

teamblackwell
04-06-2011, 02:04 AM
In 2004 we saw an alligator in the water just off of Tom Sawyers island. That was also the year that, June 2004, that lightning hit and killed one of the Giraffes at Animal Kingdom. :(

WDWfanatic742
04-06-2011, 02:21 AM
Gators at WDW are very common. They won't bother you if you don't bother them. You get used to them when living down here...

azcavalier
04-06-2011, 10:48 AM
People trying to exit the park by running right in front of the parade. Yeah, running in front of a 5-ton float (or however heavy it is) that can't stop on a dime is a real good idea

Yeah....that was my DW. ;) Well, i'm sure that it has happened many times (by other people). My wife only did it once. As I stood up (after she took off across the road), a CM raced over to bar my way from following her.

I completely understand why this is not allowed. In her defense, though, there was a *HUGE* gap between the floats. Probably a good minute's worth of time. More than enough to crawl across the road with time to spare. Doesn't make it right, though.

PopPhan
04-06-2011, 10:52 AM
Tour groups!! :thedolls:

bdm@pga
04-06-2011, 11:31 AM

As a parent who uses a double wide stroller I am offended by this co....:thedolls: JUST KIDDING!!!!

Couldn't resist!

yes I use one, and yes!!! I hate it...and yes it is dangerous...especially to those poor souls who are taking their good old time leaving the park while I am trying race to the end and beat the parade floats!!!:D

but seriously....how about those scooters!
;)

#1donaldfan
04-06-2011, 11:53 AM
You guys are missing the most dangerous of all....the dinosaurs !! HELLO, they will eat you !!!! hahaha.....:thedolls:

disneymom15
04-06-2011, 11:56 AM
The kids, and yes, even the adults who wear the "wheelies" the sneakers with the wheels in the heals.

ThanxForNoticin
04-06-2011, 12:30 PM

How about the double-wide strollers being pushed by one of the kids who should be IN the double-wide stroller?!

Ian
04-06-2011, 01:05 PM
Heh ... I love the light-hearted approach everyone is taking to this topic. Kinda fun! :mickey:

I'd say for me it's definitely the climbing children. First off, it's just rude to let your kids go climbing all over the place. It detracts from other people's enjoyment of the park and yes, it can be very dangerous. Ditto for the people who let their kids hop safety fences and wander around. The ignorance and poor parenting skills of some of my fellow "adults" never ceases to amaze me.

Parents letting young children push strollers right into other people........ ok maybe not as dangerous as you meant, but it is a pet peave for me.:mad:Yeah that bugs me, too. And I say this as a father of four young kids who knows that children love to push strollers, but come on ... Disney World is not the place for that.

Also a kid on the bus putting her mouth on the metal handrail like it was a Popsicle. I thought I was going to be sick thinking of the germs!:ack::ack::ack:

On a non-Intercot discussion board a poster wrote that she was 99 percent sure her child got a stomach bug from face painting because they are really careful about constant handwashing and quarantining their children days before their trip.Man, must be a blast being her kids! What's next? She covers them in a suit of rubber to ensure they never get a cut, scrape, or bruise??

ransam
04-06-2011, 01:50 PM
"my sister got her foot ran over a few times by those electrice wheel chair scooter things...people are aggressive when it comes to parade seating. "

Speaking on behalf of those that use a scooter, since i am one of them, i apologize. HOWEVER. understand that it's not only the drivers fault. I drive as slow as i can, especially in crowded areas. I can only drive at 90 degree angles, and if i hit the brakes, it doesn't stop immediately, but may go on for a foot or two. I do my best. a person walking, they can stop on a dime, they can also move at all kinds of angles, can make sudden cuts, and most of the time, pay no attention to where they are going. SO i'm driving along, as slow as i can, and somebody cuts acrross in front of me, paying no attention, i stop as quick as i can, but it nicks them, and then I'M the bad guy? i constantly get dirty looks or remarks from people that were paying no attention, but i accidently hit..
speaking of being aggressive at parades....do you know how many times i have had my view cut off by people leaning over me, standing in front of me, or telling me that being overweight isn't a handicap (their right, but having partial use of a leg due to cellulitus, an old wound to my hip while in the army are handicaps, and so is ignorance and rudeness if you ask me),
having said that....i will say the high majority of people are very nice, very helpful, go out of their way to assist me....it's disney after all, and that brings out the best in people.
I would give anything to be able to walk down mainstreet, since i can't should i not go?

now on to my most dangeorus thing. My mother has severe arthriis. she can walk but very painful, has very little mobility. Disney couldn't be better. many years ago, before i became handicapped, we were going on the Haunted Mansion ride...they took is the back where they load up the handicapped people. we were going to get on that moving thing belt to board the vehicle, and i told the CM i didn't think my mom could do it, the lady insisted she could, and before i knew it my mom trusted her and was on the belt, she tried to step on the vehicle, and of course she slipped and fell down. the ride operator was very quick on the trigger thank god and stopped the ride. it took us just a little bit to get my mom up and on the ride...no problems, but it scared me.

SBETigg
04-06-2011, 01:56 PM
Parents letting young children push strollers right into other people........ ok maybe not as dangerous as you meant, but it is a pet peave for me.:mad:

This happened to my husband- a kid pushing a stroller was about to crash into him and they collided, but he leapt over the child to avoid hurting the child. He needed back surgery when we got home from the damage he did to himself avoiding that child. And the parents? They didn't even see it, then realized what happened when my husband was on the ground, and no apology, nothing, just a "come on now" to the kid.

Also, one of the most dangerous things I saw was waiting in line for Space Mountain. Two cars collided. The ride shut down and lights were put on. We were told to leave, then given Fastpasses on our way out-- while paramedics were coming in a back entrance. Turned out, the only injury was a sprained ankle but it was a pretty scary occurrence for us, who never dreamed of such a thing happening there.

MNNHFLTX
04-06-2011, 03:16 PM
I once had seen an elderly gentleman, instead of getting INTO the Doom Buggy, get in front of the Doom Buggy and sit on the front part of it as though that's the way you were supposed to sit during the ride.I'm sitting here trying to picture how this is even possible--when the Doom Buggies are travelling next to the moving sidewalk and the front of the buggy is forward, is there even any platform to sit on? :confused:

Most dangerous thing I have ever seen at WDW were two little kids chasing the ducks on the grass next to the creek in front of the Crystal Palace, trying to hit them with plastic swords. (Well, it was dangerous for the ducks, anyway!) The parents were oblivious so I frowned at them and shook my head and it made them stop. Kids shouldn't be allowed to terrorize animals. :shake:

zebradome17
04-06-2011, 04:57 PM
After reading the thread about funniest things you have heard at disney, it reminded me of the most dangerous things I've seen at Disney. While at California Adventure, my son and I were riding ToT and the ride just stops suddenly. Over the loud speaker a voice says "We saw you". After a few minutes the elevator goes down a few levels, the door opens and security is calling a teenager off the ride. I ask the girl next to me what happened and she said the boy was her brother, and he lossened the restraining belt all the way and sat on it so it looked like he was safely strapped in. When the drops happened he pulled out the strap out so he could float in the air. If he would have come free from the strap completely, he could have crushed somebody.
Forrest Gump was right, Stupid is as stupid does.

I don't believe that!!! How could anyone even contemplate doing something so stupid? Makes me angry just thinking about it :mad:

BAMABOY
04-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Most dangerious, easy, my father-in-law last February on a scooter in Epcot. At the end of the day he was driving it to the car and I told him to hit one of the buses. With a confused look on his face he said, "what for?" I told him, "You have run into everything else at the park today, I don't want the bus to feel left out!"

A Big Kid
04-06-2011, 06:27 PM
I would have to say that the most dangerous thing we see year after year in the summertime is folks sauntering through the parks during severe lightining storms like they're invincible. I love "Singin' & Dancin' in the Rain" as much as the next romantic person, but I don't think folks realize that lightning in Florida is a real danger!

You stand a better chance of winning powerball.

Aurora
04-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Man, must be a blast being her kids! What's next? She covers them in a suit of rubber to ensure they never get a cut, scrape, or bruise??

I know!! And I shouldn't make fun, but the person (I now think it was a he) later wrote that since the whole family got sick after they got home, he amended his original diagnosis and wondered whether it was actually a water fountain that did it. What a sad thing to spend your time trying to figure out! To this poor person, obviously the most dangerous thing he's seen at Disney World is someone sneezing!

cfoshe
04-06-2011, 10:59 PM
I'm sitting here trying to picture how this is even possible--when the Doom Buggies are travelling next to the moving sidewalk and the front of the buggy is forward, is there even any platform to sit on? :confused:

Well lets see if I can explain.
1. someone pay my way down for 5 nights
2. I will video tape myself trying to recreate this for everyone to see. :D:D

teamblackwell
04-07-2011, 12:26 AM
Well lets see if I can explain.
1. someone pay my way down for 5 nights
2. I will video tape myself trying to recreate this for everyone to see. :D:D

In October 2012, we'll re-create the scene.

JasonH
04-07-2011, 03:09 AM
In October 2012, we'll re-create the scene.

OMG I've created a monster! :funny: Just make sure I get a copy of that video. hehe

But to clarify and help MNNHFLTX see it better in their (and everyone else's) mind, basically the gentleman just got in front of the Doom Buggy and actually was still in a standing position for the most part and sort of rested his posterior on the saftey bar section, apparently thinking that's how you sit on it. I guess he thought it was something like a "Lean Rail" from the Timekeeper.....b/c they are there to lean on. :silly:

waymickey
04-07-2011, 08:35 AM
LMAO on this thread it is great! I would have to say the most dangerous thing I have seen at disney was trying to get a seat at the railroad station for the SM and being crushed agaisnt the railing by some giant guy who couldn't see over my massive 4'11 height!:D

MNNHFLTX
04-07-2011, 08:58 AM
In October 2012, we'll re-create the scene.Um, as much as I would like to see that, we still cannot pay for your stay. ;)

tinkerbellvr123
04-07-2011, 10:18 AM
We saw an alligator where the shortcut is from where like the end of splash mountain to the haunted mansion and when the CM were trying to capture it they pulled it onto the walkway. Soo scaryy~! :(

faline
04-07-2011, 10:26 AM
We saw an alligator where the shortcut is from where like the end of splash mountain to the haunted mansion and when the CM were trying to capture it they pulled it onto the walkway. Soo scaryy~! :(

I'll bet that poor alligator was terrified!!! :D

Hazmat
04-07-2011, 11:36 AM
I'd say for me it's definitely the climbing children. First off, it's just rude to let your kids go climbing all over the place. It detracts from other people's enjoyment of the park and yes, it can be very dangerous. Ditto for the people who let their kids hop safety fences and wander around. The ignorance and poor parenting skills of some of my fellow "adults" never ceases to amaze me.

I couldn't agree more. Unfortunatley people don't see the danger.. The Toy Story Mania queue, as much as I like it is rife with kids climbing on the super size toys. And the pack of cards they use as a "slide"..

Goofy Texan
04-07-2011, 04:13 PM
If you have issues with your kids wanting to climb, you might want to try my "One Foot" rule. The rule is you must keep one foot on the ground at all times. Your kid will do everything they can think of to get away with something dangerous, but they can't! You can't run, jump, or climb (much) and keep one foot on the ground. All I have to say when we get somewhere is " The one-foot rule is now in effect". Violators must hold my hand for a bit. The only exception is when sitting, since the kids feet might not touch the ground.

Best family outing rule ever. :thumbsup:

Suzi Q
04-07-2011, 04:44 PM
The worst and close-my-eyes-in-dread scariest thing I've seen at Diz I've seen many many times...a small child darting in front of a WDW bus at the bus stop and the driver slamming on the brakes. Luckily I've never seen a child actually hit...but I sure wanted to smack the distracted parent who was not watching or holding the hand of their child, letting them wander around out of the queue, by or in the road. Scary scary scary.

Bethis26fan
04-07-2011, 04:48 PM
The scariest thing I have seen was on a bus going back to the resort from dtd. I was standing w/ my then 4 year old nephew and a old man in a car started to run the red light. I didn't have time to warn my cousin but did get a tighter grip on my nephew when the bus driver saw it and slammed on breaks. (so glad for great bus drivers)

No one was hurt but I could just see us hitting that car, so glad that the bus driver saw him or it could have been bad because the bus was packed and there were lots of us standing. Also glad i was smart enough to have my nephew against the poll so he had some support and didn't fall in the floor when we hit the breaks.

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-07-2011, 05:15 PM
Mine is the kid with heelies flying down the hill by Splash Mountain, smashing into people as he went.

Of course, he ended up falling himself, but it was still a mess!

McLiberal8
04-07-2011, 05:51 PM
Luckily I've never seen a child actually hit...but I sure wanted to smack the distracted parent who was not watching or holding the hand of their child, letting them wander around out of the queue, by or in the road. Scary scary scary.

I can't stand seeing parents not holding their child's hand, especially when near a street! Drives me insane!

WDW&MK
04-07-2011, 07:49 PM
A few years ago we were riding the bus back from MK to POR. A guy and his wife ran out into the middle of the road - not anywhere near the bus stop it was in the middle of an actual road on the POR property - to the driver's side window on the bus to ask her directions. NOT smart! The bus was loaded with people - she had to stop rather fast. The CM bus driver was very polite in trying to help them and yet keep them and the rest of us safe, but there was a guy sitting near us that really yelled at her (in front of his kids which I thought was quite a lesson for them :shake:). My DH went up to the CM Driver as she let us off at POR to thank her and tell her he thought she handled the situation well. An example of both dangerous and rude behavior.

jonahbear2006
04-07-2011, 08:59 PM
The most dangerous thing I have seen at Disney world is the Jet Ski Riders who are completely oblivious to the repercussions of getting too close to a boat that is WAY bigger than they are. I have been on several boats that had to shut down totally because of these jet ski riders. The first time I encountered this, I, myself, was unaware. The guy that was driving the boat explained that if the jet ski were to get within a certain distance from his boat it would **** him down right under the boat. Same goes for the people renting the small boats and getting too close to the disney transportation boats. Dangerous Dangerous!!!! You should have training before being allowed to enter these waters where they have so many boats coming and going.

jonahbear2006
04-07-2011, 09:04 PM
As a parent who uses strollers and my experiences being around the ECVs, I have not personally been in any situation where I have witnessed these as being a danger issue. I am not bothered by the ECVs. I think that most of the problem, with strollers,that ive seen is not the stroller persons fault. What I am talking about is when you leave parade or firework time and people are pushing and shoving then I am required to jolt forward, pushing my stroller into the person in front of me,...and WHO do you think looks bad? Certainly not the person behind me! We got separated last august during fireworks and it took 45 min to find our family bc of the pushing and shoving. My FIL was about to say let's ditch the stroller and just leave it here. We even witnessed a girl who thought she was the most important person in the park who said, "ya'll gotz to move! I needs to get to my bus!" uhm, hun, there are thousands of people who want to get to their bus, look around you. I am betting that patience would cure about 50% of the danger issues at disney world.

jonahbear2006
04-07-2011, 09:08 PM
Those ECV's are getting out of hand. Sometimes you'll see a line of them coming towards you, it looks like a military convoy!!
I bet if some current or former CM's posted on this thread, you would hear some real horror stories, I can only imagine what happens at WDW daily, we don't see.

If you love to hear these types of anecdotes, I highly recommend the book, Mousecatraz! It is hilarious and quite enlightening! We are really enjoying it. Got it the other day and we are almost done with it!

crltkcagle
04-08-2011, 10:43 PM
Let me apologize to all the people who have been run over by a double stroller. My husband is definetly guilty of this. He often gets others dads involved and they caravan to the gates at park closing. I usually go behind him apologizing to all the people he tries to run over. :shake:

jillluvsdisney
04-09-2011, 04:52 PM
Nothing will ruin a trip like a bad sunburn. I just cringe when I see people who are as red as lobsters. I actually sprayed down an elderly couple that I could see were both getting burnt. I was very polite and just said to them I really would not mind at all if they wanted to use my spray on sun tan block because they looked like they were close to getting burnt. Thankfully, they took me up on the offer.

squad51
04-11-2011, 10:34 AM
Nothing more dangerous than proposing to my now wife:D. HA HA HA. But seriously folks, I would have to say the rush when a park opens the mad rush to get fastpasses or ride the E-ticket attractions. I've seen people get run down for being too slow.

EJS-Houston
04-11-2011, 05:24 PM
Someone tried to get a bite of my chocolate cake from the pastry shop in France. Had they been successful, they would not have survived.

LOL I actually laughed out loud at that.

Jeri Lynn
04-11-2011, 08:16 PM
I was staying at the Beach Club one year and was at the quiet pool, I have seen youngsters swimming without any adult supervision and one year I saw about a 10-12 year old boy on a second floor balcony climb over the rail to be on the outside of the balcony railing.

I told him to get back on the other side, I have no idea where is parents were.

TheRustyScupper
04-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Most dangerous things you've seen at a Disney park

A Speedo stretching not to break on a Brit at the swimming pool.

mickeys_princess_mom
04-11-2011, 09:44 PM
The cast member at Aloha Isle who was about to throw out the half a Dole Whip Float that he had poured into the cup before announcing that the machine was down, and that's all there was... My husband caught him just in time, assuring him that I wanted the half cup, and he was right. :papple:

Goes4FastPass
04-15-2011, 03:27 PM
A toddler standing in the street alone at the cabins at FW after 1:20am (we just returned from MK EMH).

I called the FW front desk – FW CMs came then WDW security came then they called and an older security officer (the security boss, it seemed) arrived. So we had 3 WDW vehicles parked by our little golf cart. The boss asked how long the child had been here. Younger security guard said it had been 30+ minutes since he arrived and I said we waited 15 minutes after I called for security to arrive. We explained we were driving the golf cart from the boat dock after leaving the Magic Kingdom. The child was standing in the street asking for “Mama”. We haven’t moved an inch since then.

The boss decided CMs were going to go door to door and wake people until they found the little guy’s family. Younger security officer said, “It’s 2 am – they’re all asleep” and the boss said, “We have a small child alone. Wake them up.”

40 minutes later a woman from a nearby cabin (where security had already knocked and got no answer) came by and asked us if we had seen a small child. She had apparently fallen asleep and the child got up and left the cabin. The security boss was not happy.

Joannelet
04-15-2011, 03:33 PM
Omg that story with the toddler at FW is scary! Geez!

nfrustaci
04-15-2011, 03:43 PM
a toddler standing in the street alone at the cabins at fw after 1:20am (we just returned from mk emh).

i called the fw front desk – fw cms came then wdw security came then they called and an older security officer (the security boss, it seemed) arrived. So we had 3 wdw vehicles parked by our little golf cart. The boss asked how long the child had been here. Younger security guard said it had been 30+ minutes since he arrived and i said we waited 15 minutes after i called for security to arrive. We explained we were driving the golf cart from the boat dock after leaving the magic kingdom. The child was standing in the street asking for “mama”. We haven’t moved an inch since then.

holy cow, good of you not to leave her.

the boss decided cms were going to go door to door and wake people until they found the little guy’s family. Younger security officer said, “it’s 2 am – they’re all asleep” and the boss said, “we have a small child alone. Wake them up.”

smart man.... Sometimes people don't think before they open their mouths.... Unfortunately i have been quilty of that on more than 1 occasion.

40 minutes later a woman from a nearby cabin (where security had already knocked and got no answer) came by and asked us if we had seen a small child. She had apparently fallen asleep and the child got up and left the cabin.
this is unfortunately not the 1st time i have heard of this. Lets face it, it is hard to be a parent. Even the most seasoned parent can make a mistake. We have all been that tired before. I have been lucky and did not lose my child, or have not fallen asleep before he has. But i can see how easy it could be to do that. Afterall she was probably out from early morning and we all know how exhausting the world can be.
the security boss was not happy.

i am sure he was not, but i am glad that the little girl found her mom. Happiest place can sometimes be the scariest place.