PDA

View Full Version : 1 Day at Universal

RedSoxFan
04-04-2011, 04:13 PM
So --- Can US be done in 1 day if you buy tickets for both parks and pay extra for the 'ahead of the line' pass? The kids want to go; but they are not Harry Potter fans and that part of the park doesn't seem to interest them. We are thinking of going to Disney for Thanksgiving week. We have never been to US and not sure what to expect. Thanks.

AZ Disney
04-04-2011, 08:04 PM
We just did Universal Studios Holloywood in one day with no problem. Not sure if the parks are really different or similiar. We enjoyed our day but one day was plenty.

WDWfanatic742
04-04-2011, 09:01 PM
Before Harry Potter I'd say that you could get through everything in Island's of Adventure that you needed to ride in three hours normally (without the front of line ticket unless it is during a super busy time) if you only rode Hulk, Dragons, Spiderman, and Jurassic Park (Popeye and Dudley Do-Right in hot days).

Since your kids aren't interested in Harry Potter, it should be even easier. I'd do IoA first and go Hulk, Spiderman and Jurassic Park while 90% of the other people in the morning are going to ride Harry Potter. If your kids are young, go through Seuss Landing.

In Universal Studios, once again if your kids are young or are fans go to Shrek. Jimmy Neutron is there now but will be closing for good in August for something new that shouldn't be ready by Thanksgiving. Revenge of the Mummy and Men In Black are definitely must rides. Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit, Twister, Jaws, and Disaster are also fun little rides. Woody Woodpecker's Kidzone is for kids as well.

So in review :D, it will depend on when you go in whether you will need the Express Pass. Since it sounds like Thanksgiving week, it might make your day better for you to get the Express Pass. But we've done both parks in one day without it before.

RedSoxFan
04-04-2011, 09:30 PM
Should have mention the ages of my kids:
DD15, DS19, DS21. DS23 is not interested in a Disney trip. Maybe he'll change his mind if there is a day to be spent at US. He would only be able to come for a few days if he came at all.

If we were only to do one park: which one would you recommend?
All of us (not DH) love roller coasters!!

WDWfanatic742
04-04-2011, 09:40 PM
I'd definately do Islands first then and get that park out of the way while the hordes go to HMTFJ. Without the Harry Potter stuff, there's only Hulk, Spiderman, and Jurassic Park that I mentioned. I forgot to mention that Poseidon's Fury is a fun walkthrough attraction/show as well. Even during Thanksgiving if you get there first thing you should be able to get through those four by noon.

If I could only do one park and I didn't like Harry Potter, I'd do Universal just because there is more stuff to do there. But if you guys like coasters Islands will be good as well with two really good coasters in the park and one of the best theme park attractions in the world in Spiderman.

RedSoxFan
04-04-2011, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the info. But what does HMTFJ stand for?

WDWfanatic742
04-04-2011, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the info. But what does HMTFJ stand for?

Sorry, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. It's the main ride in the Harry Potter land. They also re-themed the old Dueling Dragons ride into a Harry Potter theme, but the main ride is still the same. Dueling Inverted Coasters. Something that sounds like your family will like even though the queue is themed for Harry Potter.

Crow
04-05-2011, 12:06 AM
we got thru both Universal parks in a day, during spring break. hit most of the major rides. so yes its possible

NJGIRL
04-05-2011, 11:38 AM
Can you get "through" both parks in one day? Yes, just like you can get through the MK & DS in one day, but you will be rushing and probably missing alot of things. IMO you need one day in each park to enjoy them. Both parks have alot of really fun rides and many (especially if the kids have never been there) you may want to ride again.

My favorite is the Studios but IOA has more thrill rides.

joonyer
04-05-2011, 11:48 AM
Yes it can be done in one day, But we like to ride most of the top-notch rides more than once (even if you are not interested in The Wizarding World. Attractions like Revenge of the Mummy, Spiderman, Men in Black, Hulk, and others are great attractions and it will be very crowded during Thanksgiving week. Keep in mind that the express pass only allows you one admission per attraction per day without using the stand-by line. If you are trying to see both parks in one day, It can be done (especially if you skip Wizarding World) but I would feel rushed.