PDA

View Full Version : California Grill

spoonfulosugar
04-04-2011, 02:33 PM
If you want to catch the fireworks (from MK) after dinner at California Grill, what is the ideal (or close to ideal) dinner reservation time?? What would be considered way too early or way too late?? Thank you!!

faline
04-04-2011, 02:35 PM
It depends on when the fireworks will be. The time for fireworks changes with seasons and special events.

If you dine at California Grill, even if you dine early, you are allowed to return that same evening for the fireworks.

I would say you should make your reservation 1-1/2 - 2 hours before the fireworks are scheduled (this is if you are having an appetizer, entree, and dessert or coffee). If you are going to have only an entree, I'd suggest about 1 hour before the fireworks.

spoonfulosugar
04-04-2011, 02:42 PM
Really?! That could be very helpful because I'm trying to get last minute reservations and the only times available at the moment are kind of early and pretty late. I didn't realize you could do that! Thanks!

buzznwoodysmom
04-04-2011, 03:17 PM
In March we had an ADR for California Grill for 7:45 on a night that Wishes was at 8. We arrived and were seated early, about 15 minutes early, so 7:30. We were just finishing up with our appitizer when we decided to head out to watch Wishes. It was an incredible way to watch Wishes, and an excellent dinner. Even if your ADR is at a time later than Wishes you should be able to check in and hang out at the bar with a drink and still be able to view Wishes while you are waiting to be seated.

spoonfulosugar
04-04-2011, 03:32 PM
Hmmm....decisions, decisions...

Can you just go for desserts and coffee?

buzznwoodysmom
04-04-2011, 03:36 PM
I'm sure you can go for whatever you'd like. I'd highly recommend going for a full meal, the food was amazing, best meal in all of WDW! It was our best meal out of 14 trips.

senderella
04-04-2011, 03:45 PM
My only experience with California Grill was very frustrating. On one of our annual "girls only" trips, my sister chose CG for our arrival meal. The plan was to make reservations an hour before the fireworks so that we would be seated and could see them from the table (we had requested a window table). I made my ADR 180 days out for an hour before showtime. We arrived 15 minutes before our reservation time. We were not seated until an hour and thirty minutes later (also seated in middle of room, not by window). The problem was that the people who were already seated chose not to leave. They were finished with dinner but were waiting on the fireworks. When I asked about our wait, they CM told me they it was out of their hands and we just had to wait. Needless to say we watched Wishes from the balcony in freezing cold weather. Ruined the whole experience for all of us.
In my opinion, if I am finished eating, I leave the table. If I want to see the fireworks, I would go outside. I would not take up other people's dining times. It was obvious there are customers waiting.
That was several years ago and I have not been back to CG (for this reason) so things may have changed. I just wanted to caution you, as we all know sometimes the situation is out of our control no matter how much planning we do.

SBETigg
04-04-2011, 04:22 PM
I think the fireworks are even lovelier from the observation deck, and I've been out there in all kinds of weather. It's worth it. There's no guarantee for a window seat. You make your ADRs and take your chances. Everyone wants a window seat. Being willing to wait for one still doesn't guarantee there will be one available at the right time. I'm sorry for anyone who lets it ruin their experience.

epceddie
04-04-2011, 05:03 PM
We watched Wishes from the observation deck and the smoke from the fireworks made it very hard to even see the Castle.
Our dinner at California Grill was one of the most overrated (for the price) we've ever had a WDW.
Plus, we were there for our honeymoon and they put us in the back in the "wine room". It was a lot more quiet than the loud and crazy main room, but we were hoping to get a table with a castle view.
I'm happy that so many people enjoy California Grill. It's just not our cup of tea and we won't ever be returning.
The biggest surprise for us is that greedy Disney hasn't made this a double table service on the dining plan like they recently did a Le Cellier.

MOJoe
04-04-2011, 05:23 PM
My family talked about out Cali Grill meal just yesterday. We had a ressie an hour and a half before a Pirate and Princess party. We had a fabulous meal, with a great server. Bill, i think was his name. We watched the special fireworks show from a room next to the observation deck. Amazing display. It was very cold outside, so they allowed us in this "VIP" area. Nice.

My 17 yr old son thought it was the best overall dining experience we ever had at Disney. That's coming from a kid who would never eat anything but pizza or chicken strips, if he wasn't made to try something else. If that's what he thought, you can imagine how much my wife and i liked it. Hope we can go back this year. But since my trip is in limbo of sorts, i hate to drop off my CC number, since i'm not certain of my dates. Maybe they take walk-ups. ;)

faline
04-04-2011, 06:12 PM
The biggest surprise for us is that greedy Disney hasn't made this a double table service on the dining plan like they recently did a Le Cellier.

I'm a little confused by this statement. California Grill is a signature dining location and has always always required 2 table service credits on the dining plan.

Momto3littlemice
04-04-2011, 07:35 PM
My experience was just like senderallas. We were seated 90 minutes past our ressie time, the server served our appetizer just as Wishes began so we had to choose whether to eat it hot or see Wishes. We finished so late due to late seating and slow service that we couldn't even get a bus back to our resort. Worst dining experience I have had at Disney -- I realize it is the exception and I hope you truly enjoy it! :mickey:

White Rose
04-05-2011, 10:45 AM
When I scheduled my birthday dinner back in January, the only time available for CG was 9:15pm and Wishes started at 8. The original plan was to get to the restaurant around 7:45pm and then get drinks and head out to the obsevation deck to watch the fireworks. However, I got my monorail screwed up terribly (what I can say...it had been awhile. :blush:). We accidentally got on a monorail going in the OPPOSITE direction of the Contemporary (we had been at MK) and ended up switching back at the TTC. Needless to say, my wonderful viewing of Wishes was resigned to watching it from the monorail on our way in the PROPER direction to the Contemporary.

The food was excellent, but it was very crowded. I would recommend, if you don't mind, actually going for the late seating. My friend and I actually checked in about an hour early for our late reservations and were seating thirty minutes EARLY! :thumbsup: We just chilled and had a few drinks at the bar. I can't say enough about making sure you check in at least 15 minutes for ADRs. Because of this, my friend and I were seated EARLY for every ADR! So, feel free to make the later reservation and just check in earlier and have a good time at the bar in the mean time! :marg:

MNNHFLTX
04-05-2011, 11:05 AM
We ate at California Grill for the first time in February, and I timed it so that our ADR was at 7 p.m. (1 hour before Wishes started). By the time we were settled and had had an appetizer it was time for the fireworks. Although we had a table by the window it was on the far end of the restaurant from the Magic Kingdom, so we opted to go out on the observation deck. It was a great view of the Magic Kingdom and a nice view of the fireworks, but you lose a little bit of the "ooh-ahh" factor when viewing the fireworks from this high and distant. So while I am glad we did it once, for the money you spend on dinner (which, incidentally was very good, but also very expensive), it will not be on my must-do list for future trips.

Carol
04-05-2011, 12:20 PM
If timing works for you - be there when the sunsets. I love Wishes - but the view as the sun goes down is breaktaking.

Keneva
04-10-2011, 08:42 PM
We were there in August of 2010 and we were told that if you finished dinner before the fireworks you could leave and return later to watch from the observation deck as long as you kept your receipt. Sure enough, about 15 minutes before the fireworks there were lines of people streaming off of the elevators going to the observation deck. We requested a window seat when we checked in and were lucky enough to get one for our 7:40pm reservation. We were finishing our desert and coffee as the fireworks started. We were not rushed at all by the waiter. You are VERY close to the fireworks and it was a very memorable experience that topped off a wonderful evening (we left the kids at Neverland Club at the Poly).

mudpuppysmom
04-11-2011, 12:43 PM
If timing works for you - be there when the sunsets. I love Wishes - but the view as the sun goes down is breaktaking.

Yeah......what Carol said....TOTALLY AGREE!!!

big blue and hairy
04-11-2011, 04:45 PM
I'm a little confused by this statement. California Grill is a signature dining location and has always always required 2 table service credits on the dining plan.

I was thinking the same thing. CG was one of the original Signature Restaurants and for good reason. It is a top flight restaurant with great food, great service and an incomparable view. I think Le Cellier is very good but not two ts credit worthy. California Grill is.

:sulley:

Jared
04-11-2011, 05:39 PM
Agreed. I'd without a doubt rather be up there for the sunset than for Wishes. The views are spectacular. I have seen Wishes from a variety of locations and still think the show loses its affect from anywhere besides Main Street. Cinderella Castle is such an integral component of the presentation that seeing the fireworks from a skewed angle ruins it a bit for me.

ransam
04-11-2011, 06:06 PM
one of my all time favorite family memories, is being in highschool, going w/ my family to eat at the California Grill. We never had a lot of money, and didn't eat out often, so for us it was a huge deal. i love the picctures we took, it was just a great time.

brivers222
07-01-2011, 01:04 AM
Holiday wishes is slated for 9:30... i am making a 9:40 Reservation and getting there about 9:10 to check in...

we will be allowed to head up to the observation deck to see it then go back in? what happens if our table is ready while wishes is going on?

White Rose
07-01-2011, 11:14 AM
we will be allowed to head up to the observation deck to see it then go back in? what happens if our table is ready while wishes is going on?

When I went back in January, Wishes was slated to begin at 8pm (I think. My memory about be wrong). And my reservation was at about 9:30pm. Through a series of unfortunate events that began with a mix up with the monorail, I unfortunately did not get to see Wishes from the observation deck, but I had no problems checking in at 8:15pm for my MUCH later reservation. I was even told that it would be okay for me to sit at the bar and head out on the observation deck, if I so desired.

You'll be given a beeper just like in the other restaurants and I would also just indicate to the hostess, if you don't respond right away, it's because you're watching Wishes on the deck. But, I'm pretty sure the beeper works on the observation deck.

Either way, you won't really have a problem. You'll definitely be allowed to watch from the deck AND be allowed back in! :)