PDA

View Full Version : Classic toons !

x Kris x
04-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Hi all :mickey:
I'm 24 years old, so recalling a memory from when I was 6 years old may be a little tricky. But when I was young, I remember one of my most favourite memories was to sit at this certain place in the parks and watch old Disney cartoons. The place I feel was possibly in Epcot, in the Body Wars area. I think this was the case because I didn't like simulators rides, so I would hang outside while my parents were on Body Wars.

Anyways, I'm not looking for where this location was. My question is, now that Mickey's Toontown Fair is closed down, where can I possibly watch old cartoons that represent Disney's main icons? As a huge animation fan, I just want to find a small place in the parks I can sit and watch these treasures, and revisit that old memories I had when I was six.

Thanks for your help :D

Melanie
04-03-2011, 05:44 PM
My question is, now that Mickey's Toontown Fair is closed down, where can I possibly watch old cartoons that represent Disney's main icons? As a huge animation fan, I just want to find a small place in the parks I can sit and watch these treasures, and revisit that old memories I had when I was six.

Thanks for your help :D

At the resorts in the check-in area, there is a children's area where the TV is always playing the classic shorts.

PlutoToo
04-03-2011, 06:42 PM
There wasn't seating, but there was a store on the right of main street selling art prints that had a screen in the back showing cartoons.

PETE FROM NYC
04-03-2011, 07:02 PM
I think you are remembering the Main Street Cinema, which showed Steamboat Willy, and I think other shorts.

Melanie
04-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Oh, and you can watch classic shorts in the back seating area of Casey's on Main Street while enjoying your hot dog. :)

JasonH
04-04-2011, 02:13 AM
Since you did mention about the Wonders of Life pavilion and watching old cartoons, you're actually not far off from that. There was a stage set up that looked like a bunch of houses and buildings around a city scene and there was a fair amount of seating for it but it never ever got filled b/c people could come and go as they pleased. Several of those buildings and houses were actually small movie screens. It showcased Goofy in various clips from his classic cartoons and it was all about......"Healthy Living". My dad actually had videoed nearly the entire "show" and I had used to watch it quite often when I needed a Disney fix. So yes, your memory serves you good. :thumbsup:

x Kris x
04-04-2011, 10:08 AM
Since you did mention about the Wonders of Life pavilion and watching old cartoons, you're actually not far off from that. There was a stage set up that looked like a bunch of houses and buildings around a city scene and there was a fair amount of seating for it but it never ever got filled b/c people could come and go as they pleased. Several of those buildings and houses were actually small movie screens. It showcased Goofy in various clips from his classic cartoons and it was all about......"Healthy Living". My dad actually had videoed nearly the entire "show" and I had used to watch it quite often when I needed a Disney fix. So yes, your memory serves you good. :thumbsup:

Yesssssss!! That's it! I remember only watching Goofy cartoons there, but I had thought that maybe on other days/times it would cycle through the other characters. I remember it being like a small set of steps that you sat on, kind of like a mini-Hollywood Bowl setup. Thank you for that!

And thanks to everyone else. I've made a note of the places to go so when I'm having a rest I can have a look at these great toons. Thanks :D

DisneyDINK
04-04-2011, 10:50 AM
Back in the 80s I liked to watch the cartoons at the Fantasyland Theater. It is where Philharmagic is now and from 1971 to 1980 it was the Mickey Mouse Review. In the mid eighties it was a big movie theater and they played 4 or 5 cartoons in a loop. You could just go in, watch for a while and leave when you wanted. It was great place to get out of the heat on those hot summer days.

Yeah, nowadays the cartoons play in some of the disney hotel lobbies. I wish they would show up more places. They should work them into some more places in the parks. How about the Fantasmic preshow; there's an hour of sitting around that would have been improved with some classic cartoons.

ransam
04-06-2011, 01:56 PM
i know there was a place on Main street. is it still there?