PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed

Pan
04-03-2011, 12:00 AM
So, I've been planning our WDW trip (4/16-4/22) for months now. Have ADR's for dinner at the castle, fireworks dessert on the Terrace, Fantasmic, etc. The only people besides myself, my wife, and the AWESOME folks at Magical Journeys who knew our plans were the in-laws. Neither one of my DD's had a clue. Was planning to surprise them the night before. Bought a new car today, and evidently one of the in-laws must have mentioned how nice it will be to drive to Disney for Spring Break in a new car. My 12 y.o. came home from their house tonight, put on her Mouse Ears from the last trip and announced that she was ready to spend Spring Break at Disney. I played it off, said we just bought a car, can't take a vacation, but, it kind of ticks me off. I know that what's done is done, but I needed to rant. Figured better to do it here than at the in-laws house! Hopefully, if we avoid the subject she won't bring it up again. Really don't want the 4 y.o. to know. But, no matter what, we'll be in Disney in less than 2 weeks, so life is good, and magic is magic no matter what. Just hate to have kept a suprise for months only to have the rug pulled out when I least expected it. Glad to have this forum to get this out, still hasn't ruined my enthusiasm for the trip though. Life goes on. Live. Love. Laugh. Repeat.
Peace,
Pan

mom2morgan
04-03-2011, 12:13 AM
Oh, for crying out loud! What a lousy way to ruin a suprise. But you're right - you really can't rant at your in-laws without doing some damage, so vent away here where we 'get it' :-) I'd be half tempted to tell the 12 year old NOT to say anything around the little one, just because it would be mean to get up false hopes.

jonahbear2006
04-03-2011, 12:16 AM
WoW! Well, youre a better person than I. Id go straight to the source and be very upset and make it clear that from here on out I will be much more careful with who I give sensitive information to! Yes, you are still going so it is not a bust or total loss, so keep smiling! We don't mind you ranting. We did suprise the kids once and there was never another opportunity for it. My oldest daughter is much to perceptive to her mama and her crazy disney ways. She can smell a disney trip coming 1000 miles away. lol

mgmnut
04-03-2011, 09:05 AM
I'm with Jonahbear, I would have a hard time not expressing my feelings to the in-laws. We surprised our kids one year and kept it a secret for 6 months until we woke them at 4am to go to the airport. I would have been pretty upset if someone blew it for us after all that planning and $$. Although I am sure it was unintentional, it still stinks.

Jillirose
04-03-2011, 10:10 AM
Oh what a bummer :( I'm guessing it 'slipped' and whomever did the slipping feels bad about it. Maybe since your older daughter already pretty much knows what's up, you can involve her in making it a surprise for the 4 year old. She could dole out the clues when the time comes and be the one to spill the beans. That way it will be extra fun for her too :thumbsup:

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-03-2011, 10:19 AM
I am so sorry! That is just rotten! I hope it was a mistake, that it just slipped out, but I'm not "nice" enough not to mention it. Or at least, next time, don't tell them either!

I like the idea of since your older DD know, including her in part of the "reveal" to her younger sister.

We've had a similar situation, where we were planning a suprise for DD and my mom almost blew it!

CleveSJM
04-03-2011, 11:25 AM
Ouch. Now it's time for you to tell them the other surprise! :secret:

The in-laws are giving them each $100 Disney gift cards!!! :thedolls:

:blush:

SBETigg
04-03-2011, 11:58 AM
The surprise might be ruined, but chances are that it was an innocent slip and I would just let it roll off- so be it. You're still going and it's going to be awesome! The younger one will still be surprised.

And really, at 12, she might prefer to be in on it- the planning, the hoping, being part of the surprise for the younger one. When it turns out that you really are going, she might be a little miffed that she found out and you didn't bring her into the fold. Better to make her an ally in surprising the little one. She will feel trusted and special, now that she already has an idea, if you tell her what's up. I'm sure she'll appreciate that you wanted to surprise her and be even more excited to help out with the younger one. Best wishes!

NJGIRL
04-05-2011, 12:44 PM
I have learned the hard way. If you don't want someone to find out something tell no one.

When I was pregnant I didn't want to let my employer know until I was further along. I only told my family at dinner one night and told them that I didn't want my employer to know yet. The next day my grandmother went to her senior center located in the town hall to play cards with her friends and told everyone (tax collector, police chief, court reporter etc.)!

DisneyPrincess21
04-05-2011, 02:13 PM
So, I've been planning our WDW trip (4/16-4/22) for months now. Have ADR's for dinner at the castle, fireworks dessert on the Terrace, Fantasmic, etc. The only people besides myself, my wife, and the AWESOME folks at Magical Journeys who knew our plans were the in-laws. Neither one of my DD's had a clue. Was planning to surprise them the night before. Bought a new car today, and evidently one of the in-laws must have mentioned how nice it will be to drive to Disney for Spring Break in a new car. My 12 y.o. came home from their house tonight, put on her Mouse Ears from the last trip and announced that she was ready to spend Spring Break at Disney. I played it off, said we just bought a car, can't take a vacation, but, it kind of ticks me off. I know that what's done is done, but I needed to rant. Figured better to do it here than at the in-laws house! Hopefully, if we avoid the subject she won't bring it up again. Really don't want the 4 y.o. to know. But, no matter what, we'll be in Disney in less than 2 weeks, so life is good, and magic is magic no matter what. Just hate to have kept a suprise for months only to have the rug pulled out when I least expected it. Glad to have this forum to get this out, still hasn't ruined my enthusiasm for the trip though. Life goes on. Live. Love. Laugh. Repeat.
Peace,
Pan

Well, the bright side is, even though they know they are going, they still don't know all of the great surprises you have planned! There is still a way to salvage the magical surprises you will be doing. So the whole thing isn't a total loss :thumbsup:

:tink:
I Hope You And Your Family Have A Magical Vacation! :wave:

Dopey's Girl
04-05-2011, 10:00 PM
That's rotten!

I have only planned 1 Disney surprise trip, and I was almost the one who blew it!

Just keep reminding yourself that you still get to surprise the little one, and even without the surprise, you still get to be in WDW really soon!

Ramblingman
04-06-2011, 12:22 PM
I understand the frustration, and hope everything works out.

As for the surprise being gone, now that the cat is out of the bag, might as well make lemonade out of those lemons. Get the 12 yo involved in the planning. Of course if you do this, you may as well let the younger one in on the secret as well, lest someone else slip up.

I've never been a fan of secret trip planning. Anticipation is part of the whole experience for my family. We count down the days, go over our lists, make our reservations, watch the videos, and generally by the week before the trip, Disney is all we talk about.

wildernesslady
04-06-2011, 06:49 PM
Sorry about the surprise being slipped out. You will still have a great vacation. I have learned to not share these type of surprises. My mom still doesn't get that you don't have to yell on her cell phone. We can hear her fine. My whole family hears the conversation when she calls. It's actually funny. Enjoy your trip. The Wishes Dessert party is fabulous.

wdwfansince75
04-07-2011, 07:32 AM
I

As for the surprise being gone, now that the cat is out of the bag, might as well make lemonade out of those lemons. Get the 12 yo involved in the planning. Of course if you do this, you may as well let the younger one in on the secret as well, lest someone else slip up.

I've never been a fan of secret trip planning. Anticipation is part of the whole experience for my family. We count down the days, go over our lists, make our reservations, watch the videos, and generally by the week before the trip, Disney is all we talk about.

I feel the same way...one of the real joys of all of our trips is sharing the anticipation with the kids...and being surprised how much even the youngest of them remembered from past trips. Oh, and we would never have learned that Chef Mickey's was a special place for all of the DGK's in time to make additional ADR's without inputs from the DGK's....Or which of the DGK's really loved going to the MK for EMH with Grandpa...and who wanted to be included for those "special mornings" on the next trip...

The OP mentioned a new car...over the years, we announced the next WDW trip about the same time that we bought a new car at least 3 times...so that when be bought a new car last spring, at least one of the grandkids thought that meant a WDW trip.

LisaP
04-10-2011, 12:09 AM
Isn't that what in-laws are for??? :bump:

Oh well, no souvenir for Grandma :humph:

Have a GREAT vacation!!! :thumbsup:

PrettyMinnie
04-11-2011, 09:31 PM
What a bummer! Surprise trips are by far the best, and luckily for us, no one has ever spilled the beans, especially so close to your departure! I am so sorry that you DD 12 may have caught on, but regardless you are going to Disney and the trip actually sinking in will be almost as sweet as surprising them. And I commend you for holding back from going off on your in-laws!! :thumbsup:

Pan
04-12-2011, 01:09 AM
Update time! With 4 days and 2 hours left until we hit the road....I have heard nothing more from my 12 y.o.!! In fact, she has asked if she can spend part of Spring Break staying with a friend. Told her no, we were going to see her uncle, aunt and family outside Charleston. Absolutely cannot believe we have managed to keep it all (maybe) secret since before Christmas. Received our vouchers and luggage tags in the mail today (Kathy and Magical Journies Rocks!!), going to have their suitcases tagged and waiting when they come home from school/daycare Friday. Tell them they need to pack up, we leave for Disney in the morning! Appreciate all the kind words & thoughts. Lots of good suggestions, but all the planning/ADR's have long since been completed, so I could not involve DD in any of them. Plus, even after we arrive, they won't know about dinner at the Castle, Chef Mickey's, dessert buffett and whatever else I have planned until it happens. The old man still has some suprises up his sleeve :secret:.

Ramblingman
04-12-2011, 07:27 AM
Sounds great. You truly did not let it rain on your parade.

Best of luck with the trip. It sounds like it will go smoothly and the whole family should have a wonderful visit.

Under 40 days for us, so we are hitting the max excitement level.

brownie
04-12-2011, 07:50 AM
Absolutely cannot believe we have managed to keep it all (maybe) secret since before Christmas.

:notworth:

I don't think I could have done it, so good job! I tried to surprise my bride for our 2001 trip. I had time off arranged for her at work, grandparents scheduled to watch the kids, and everything booked without her knowing. I let the cat out of the bag about a month ahead of the trip; I just couldn't wait any longer to tell her.

I hope you have a great trip!