PDA

View Full Version : I guess not....

Belster
04-02-2011, 09:59 AM
Well I am so sad that after much review and even signing documents my husband and I decided that DVC is not for us this year. :(

We would like to save some more for a larger down payment....I am just so sad. On the flip-side....we just booked a trip for the fall and we will be members within the next 2 years.

Basket Mommy
04-02-2011, 12:07 PM
Have you considered buying resale? It's so much more affordable! (I'm assuming that you're buying straight through Disney, so correct me if I'm wrong.)

wildernesslady
04-02-2011, 12:45 PM
It sounds like you made the right decision for your family. You will know when the time is right. Have a great time in the fall.

Belster
04-02-2011, 02:02 PM
Have you considered buying resale? It's so much more affordable! (I'm assuming that you're buying straight through Disney, so correct me if I'm wrong.)

I have not considered it but maybe I should give that a thought. Thank you so much for the idea. :mickey:

DizneyFreak2002
04-02-2011, 02:30 PM
I have not considered it but maybe I should give that a thought. Thank you so much for the idea. :mickey:

Becareful if you buy resale now... Rules have changed... Check on on the DVC website, but I believe you can no longer use resale points for other vacations spots Disney offers...

faline
04-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Some things in life take longer than you expect but I suspect you will get there when you are ready!

mdhiggin
04-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Congratulate yourself for being able to see the facts through the fabulousness. We love DVC, but we have a major weakness where Disney is concerned that rules our pocketbook.

Basket Mommy
04-02-2011, 04:19 PM
Becareful if you buy resale now... Rules have changed... Check on on the DVC website, but I believe you can no longer use resale points for other vacations spots Disney offers...

That's true, but we have found that it would take an astronomical amount of points to cruise or do an Adventures by Disney trip, so if we ever do that we'll just save up and pay cash. We'd have to use 3 years' worth of points for just 2 of us (we own 375 points), and there are 6 in our family. I'm not going to go buy more points at full price just to cruise, because we just wouldn't use them. If you're just going to use the points to go to Disney World, resale is an awesome, VERY affordable option. You can get points for as low as $60 each depending on where you buy vs. the full priced points going for $130 and up through Disney.

Belster
04-02-2011, 04:53 PM
That's true, but we have found that it would take an astronomical amount of points to cruise or do an Adventures by Disney trip, so if we ever do that we'll just save up and pay cash. We'd have to use 3 years' worth of points for just 2 of us (we own 375 points), and there are 6 in our family. I'm not going to go buy more points at full price just to cruise, because we just wouldn't use them. If you're just going to use the points to go to Disney World, resale is an awesome, VERY affordable option. You can get points for as low as $60 each depending on where you buy vs. the full priced points going for $130 and up through Disney.

Thank you so very much for all of the info. We would actually only use points to stay on Disney DVC properties. Maybe resale is a good option for us. Thank you once again for always educating me on all of the hard choices. :mickey:

CanadianWDWFan
04-02-2011, 06:40 PM
You made the right choice. We waited years before jumping into DVC. We saved up until we could pay for our points. For us it was the best thing we could have done.

I agree with only using your DVC points for Disney Resorts. Even before the change booking off site meant HUGE points for minimal gain. We bought resale and when we top up will will buy resale again.

Basket Mommy
04-02-2011, 09:07 PM
You made the right choice. We waited years before jumping into DVC. We saved up until we could pay for our points. For us it was the best thing we could have done.

We saved and paid cash for ours, too. We don't borrow money, but that's our choice. ; )

I agree with only using your DVC points for Disney Resorts. Even before the change booking off site meant HUGE points for minimal gain. We bought resale and when we top up will will buy resale again.

I agree.

hubbyofadisneyholic
04-02-2011, 11:00 PM
By far the most cost effective use of your points is staying at a DVC resort. The new rules will not impact that at all.
If you plan on using them that way there is really no reason not to save a bundle of $$$ by buying resale.

But, that being said, don't buy until you KNOW it is the right thing for your family. We thought about DVC in the late 1990s, took the tour in 2001 and finally bought (resale) in late 2003.

We have not regretted doing it.:thumbsup:

Ed
04-02-2011, 11:07 PM
If you do decide to go the resale route, please consider patronizing INTERCOT's sponsor, The Timeshare Store (http://www.dvc-resales.com/). There's a link to their site on the left side of every page here.

Thanks !

Belster
04-03-2011, 07:02 AM
By far the most cost effective use of your points is staying at a DVC resort. The new rules will not impact that at all.
If you plan on using them that way there is really no reason not to save a bundle of $$$ by buying resale.

But, that being said, don't buy until you KNOW it is the right thing for your family. We thought about DVC in the late 1990s, took the tour in 2001 and finally bought (resale) in late 2003.

We have not regretted doing it.:thumbsup:

If you do decide to go the resale route, please consider patronizing INTERCOT's sponsor, The Timeshare Store (http://www.dvc-resales.com/). There's a link to their site on the left side of every page here.

Thanks !

Thank you!!! :mickey:

hubbyofadisneyholic
04-03-2011, 01:10 PM

Thanks !

Good point, Ed.
I should have mentioned that when we did buy, we used The Timeshare Store. They were helpful, patient with our questions and made the process quite painless.

MinnieMommie
04-03-2011, 03:32 PM
Enjoy your trip in the fall and knowing that you will become a member when the time is right for you! :mickey:

Ian
04-03-2011, 08:52 PM
As long as your intention is to only use your points at DVC resorts, I'd definitely encourage you to buy resale.

No joke ... resale prices can be as much as 40% lower than the price Disney asks for points. It's a significantly more financially attractive way to own.

Of course one thing to point out is, if Disney just made this small change to distinguish resale points from points purchased from Disney, what other restrictions could be coming down the pike ....

Belster
04-03-2011, 10:57 PM
As long as your intention is to only use your points at DVC resorts, I'd definitely encourage you to buy resale.

No joke ... resale prices can be as much as 40% lower than the price Disney asks for points. It's a significantly more financially attractive way to own.

Of course one thing to point out is, if Disney just made this small change to distinguish resale points from points purchased from Disney, what other restrictions could be coming down the pike ....

Yeah let's hope that it stays the way it is. I had a chance to gander at dome prices and WOW you guys are right...I can get sooooo much more for my money with resale...that is the way to go. :mickey:

brivers222
04-04-2011, 01:27 PM

Thanks !

used them to sell my DVC... awesome place!