PDA

View Full Version : Jambo House.. Worth it?

DizneyFreak2002
04-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Is the 1 bedroom savanna view at Jambo House worth it??? At the moment, I am booked to stay a week in October at the treehouses... The other day I called member services and they told me they had a 1 bedroom available at Kidani Village, savanna view... After discussing with my friend, we decided to switch, mainly cause the room was in the new Kidani Village... I called today to make the change, but was told they didn't have a 1 bedroom available in Kidani, only in Jambo House... So, I didn't switch... Not yet...

Are the savanna views only 1st floor??? Are there upper floor views of the savanna with a 1 bedroom room??? I want an upper floor room for a better savanna view...

Are the rooms in Jambo House nice?? I know the 1 bedrooms in Kidani have 2 bathrooms... Jambo only has 1 bathroom... And the rooms are older...

Mushu11756
04-02-2011, 12:20 AM
We stayed in Jambo house in December.I believe all the dvc rooms are on the 5th floor . We had a Savannah view which was great, but we didn't like jambo house because it didn't have that dvc feel. They also checked us into a dirty room and it took them over 3 hours to get it clean. My husband felt it was the dirtiest resort on the Disney property. We ventured over to Kidani and wow what a hugh difference. More of a layed back dvc feel.

DizneyFreak2002
04-02-2011, 12:46 AM
We stayed in Jambo house in December.I believe all the dvc rooms are on the 5th floor . We had a Savannah view which was great, but we didn't like jambo house because it didn't have that dvc feel. They also checked us into a dirty room and it took them over 3 hours to get it clean. My husband felt it was the dirtiest resort on the Disney property. We ventured over to Kidani and wow what a hugh difference. More of a layed back dvc feel.

Thank you Mush, for the post... Reading this makes me glad I didn't switch over... I will keep calling and maybe it it lucky that something opens in Kidani... I do have 180 days!!!

If anyone else had any experiences with Jambo House DVC, please share.. The more info I gather, the better... Thank you!!!

DizneyRox
04-02-2011, 07:28 AM
Yeah, im not sure i would compare a 1BR at Jambo to a 1BR at Kidani, especially coming from a 2BR equivalent. Jambo is kinda zooey really, very busy these days and not like the other DVC properties. Although its WAY closer to the CS place for drinks, etc.

I'm not at all impressed with the food options at Kidani, but i dont mind the hike over to Jambo.

Cant imagine Kidani not having any rooms left though. If you want some peace and quiet, you might want to stay at SSR.

Christine
04-02-2011, 09:57 AM
We stayed in a studio '"savannah view" at Jambo last August. I put that in quotes because the section of DVC savannah view is WAY on the edge. We looked out our balcony and had big walls and chain link fence...and the barn. I went to the front desk and they said Florida real estate law is that any time you can see ANY of the savannah it is a savannah view. It was concrete paths right outside our room, but if we leaned over the railing and looked right, we could see where the savannah started.
We were staying for my husband's 40th birthday and he is an AVID photographer....had looked forward to this trip to shoot pics all weekend right on his balcony. That wasn't gonna cut it.

So we requested to move. (funny side story, as we were moving out of that room, the door of the King whatever-whatever suite opens next to us and there was Jon Stewart from the Daily Show. But I'll reserve what our comments on that were! LOL!)

Anyhoo, they sent us to kidani and it was FANTASTIC! The resort is so much quieter and cleaner...the savannah views are truly savannah views and the staff were amazing! We have stayed there a few more times on weekends since then and though I'm not really into the African art/theme of AK, I am quickly finding Kidani as my top 3 resorts!

Long story short, shoot for Kidani. I think you'll be very happy!

DizneyFreak2002
04-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Yeah, im not sure i would compare a 1BR at Jambo to a 1BR at Kidani, especially coming from a 2BR equivalent. Jambo is kinda zooey really, very busy these days and not like the other DVC properties. Although its WAY closer to the CS place for drinks, etc.

I'm not at all impressed with the food options at Kidani, but i dont mind the hike over to Jambo.

Cant imagine Kidani not having any rooms left though. If you want some peace and quiet, you might want to stay at SSR.

When I visted AKL, before Kidani Village opened, I was impressed with the lobby... I didn't see the rooms though...

As for no rooms, I called a few days ago, and I was told they had 1 bedroom savannah views available in Kidani village... Within 2 days they didn't... I guess it is possible, I don't know... Unless someone was mistaken and gave me bad information...

I'm already booked at SSR Treehouse Villas, so I'll have plenty of peace and quiet... I'm not all concerned over that... I was just looking forward to staying somewhere new... Oh well, always next year!!!

DizneyFreak2002
04-02-2011, 11:40 AM
We stayed in a studio '"savannah view" at Jambo last August. I put that in quotes because the section of DVC savannah view is WAY on the edge. We looked out our balcony and had big walls and chain link fence...and the barn. I went to the front desk and they said Florida real estate law is that any time you can see ANY of the savannah it is a savannah view. It was concrete paths right outside our room, but if we leaned over the railing and looked right, we could see where the savannah started.
We were staying for my husband's 40th birthday and he is an AVID photographer....had looked forward to this trip to shoot pics all weekend right on his balcony. That wasn't gonna cut it.

So we requested to move. (funny side story, as we were moving out of that room, the door of the King whatever-whatever suite opens next to us and there was Jon Stewart from the Daily Show. But I'll reserve what our comments on that were! LOL!)

Anyhoo, they sent us to kidani and it was FANTASTIC! The resort is so much quieter and cleaner...the savannah views are truly savannah views and the staff were amazing! We have stayed there a few more times on weekends since then and though I'm not really into the African art/theme of AK, I am quickly finding Kidani as my top 3 resorts!

Long story short, shoot for Kidani. I think you'll be very happy!

See, what you described is exactly what I am afraid may happen... I may get a really bad savannah view in Jambo House...

I'm holding out for Kidani... Like I said, I am already stayinng at SSR THV, so it isn't like I do not have accommodations I am happy with... I LOVE the Treehouse Villas... Was just hoping for something different...

DizneyRox
04-02-2011, 04:19 PM
I havent stayed Jambo recently, only Kidani. I too love the Jambo lobby, its my favorite spot on property probably. But the atmosphere at Jambo seems to have changed over the years. It was always pretty tranquil, etc, however my visits throught there the past few years have left me wondering whsts going on. I can only think that since its one of the cheapest deluxe resorts, people have finally figured out its a steal.

Kidani doesnt have the same gradiose feel to it. Its more DVC than Jambo.

DizneyFreak2002
04-02-2011, 04:24 PM
I havent stayed Jambo recently, only Kidani. I too love the Jambo lobby, its my favorite spot on property probably. But the atmosphere at Jambo seems to have changed over the years. It was always pretty tranquil, etc, however my visits throught there the past few years have left me wondering whsts going on. I can only think that since its one of the cheapest deluxe resorts, people have finally figured out its a steal.

Kidani doesnt have the same gradiose feel to it. Its more DVC than Jambo.

Do you think it is a bad thing that Kidani feels more DVC than Jambo??? See, I'm thinking, Jambo was converted to DVC so it really is a step down from DVC resort rooms... Not that Deluxe accommodations are a bad thing, they aren't... But Jambo didn't start as DVC correct???

faline
04-02-2011, 04:30 PM
But Jambo didn't start as DVC correct???

That's correct. Originally, Animal Kingdom Lodge was strictly a resort hotel. They later converted some rooms to DVC usage - before they built the additional building now known as Kidani. In fact, I don't recall hearing the resort referred to as Jambo House until after construction on Kidani started.

DizneyFreak2002
04-02-2011, 05:40 PM
That's correct. Originally, Animal Kingdom Lodge was strictly a resort hotel. They later converted some rooms to DVC usage - before they built the additional building now known as Kidani. In fact, I don't recall hearing the resort referred to as Jambo House until after construction on Kidani started.

See, that's what I thought, and why I don't think I'd use my points there...

I'll just keep SSR Treehouses and see if Kidani, 1 bedroom savannah view comes open...

DizneyRox
04-02-2011, 07:07 PM
I don't think that feeling like DVC is a bad thing necessarily. I don't think the DVC portions of hotels are themed as heavily as their non DVC counterparts. I've stayed at BWV, BC, WL and AKL, DVC and not. The DVC portions seem more subdued than the regular portions of the resort. AKL is an extreme example actually. The lobby at Jambo house is just insane compared to the lobby at Kidani. Your jaw literally drops entering Jambo House (mine still does). I don't get that at Kidani, probably because member money would be better spent elsewhere, and that's a choice that was made (a good one actually).

That's really what I'm saying...

If you can afford to drop from the tree houses to a 1BR, then AKLV is a good jump I think. I haven't seen the rooms at Jambo, but I've stayed there enough to remember the rooms. I'm guessing it's "just" two old adjoining rooms, one studio and one room converted to a living room/kitchen. Without changing the size of the old rooms, I can't imagine them being very spacious, while the 1BR at Kidani are pretty spacious. But that's why the point costs are less at Jambo too.

There's nothing wrong with DVC rooms in my opinion, but there are differences in the amenities of the resorts. DVCs are more self service oriented (for lack of a better description) and the non DVC resorts are more full service.

JPL
04-02-2011, 08:39 PM
I stayed in a 1 BR at Jambo this past June and room was spacious and very nice. I didn't have a Savannah view but other than that no complaints at all about the room size or cleanliness. I like the feel of Jambo House and it never really felt overly crowded or noisy to me. But I will admit most of the times I have stayed at Jambo House it was in a value studio on solo trips.

As for room views and the lagality mentioned in a previous post I once had a water view room at POR and I swear the only water I saw all trip was a puddle after a rain storm!

seanyred
04-03-2011, 09:26 AM
I have stayed at both Kidani and Jambo house in a studio. I most say I prefer Kidani more than Jambo. I would give Jambo a 10 and Kidani goes to 11 :)

Anyway the main reason has to do with the peaceful atmosphere at Kidani. Jambo has alot of hustle and bustle since it has three restaurants and that over sized gift shop. The rooms are nicer at Kidani and I feel that the I saw the animals more frequently at Kidani. Plus the pool at Kidani is the best pool on the entire WDW property IMHO. Hope that helps.

Christine
04-03-2011, 10:42 AM
I have stayed at both Kidani and Jambo house in a studio. I most say I prefer Kidani more than Jambo. I would give Jambo a 10 and Kidani goes to 11 :)

Anyway the main reason has to do with the peaceful atmosphere at Kidani. Jambo has alot of hustle and bustle since it has three restaurants and that over sized gift shop. The rooms are nicer at Kidani and I feel that the I saw the animals more frequently at Kidani. Plus the pool at Kidani is the best pool on the entire WDW property IMHO. Hope that helps.

I agree to every word! Perfectly put! (though I wouldn't be as generous to give Jambo a 10 :D )

dlpmikki
04-03-2011, 12:43 PM
I have also stayed at both. We stayed at Jambo soon after they had been converted (in an October too) and the biggest problem was that we couldn't actually get onto our balcony because the entire thing - chairs, floor table etc was covered in a carpet of love bugs. It was vile!

We were not at Kidani in October but we liked the view better and the atmosphere. It was easy enough to pop up to Jambo for Jiko or Mara but loved the feel at Kidani.

I would stay at Jambo again in the unlikely event I could get one of the concierge rooms at 7 months on points! Otherwise Kidani every time.

MinnieMommie
04-03-2011, 03:24 PM
I really like Jambo House. There are pros and cons for both Jambo and Kidani but if you are looking for peace and quiet...more of a remote feeling, then Kidani may be more of what you are looking for.

I have stayed in both a studio and 1 bedroom in Jambo and have had beautiful views and nice accommodations. There are many quiet areas to be found within the hotel itself and on the grounds.

You will not be able to compare the space between a Tree House and a 1 bedroom (and I know you know that). If you don't need the additional space and can manage in a 1 bedroom I would say that AK whether Kidano or Jambo House are great options for a very different experience. :mickey: