PDA

View Full Version : US Historical Theme Picture Spots

Frog
04-01-2011, 09:44 AM
Ok Guys... I have a bunch of band students who are going to be heading to WDW in the near future with the band. They will be missing some school, and I am jealous that they are going with out me! So to help ease the pain, I am going to have them put together a photo story with pictures of their trip! The catch is, they need to be "Historical" in nature... So, i am looking for ideas to pass along to them before they leave...
Intercotees, give me some of your favorite US Historical spots in the parks!!

BraddyB
04-01-2011, 09:54 AM
There is the Liberty Bell and also the Liberty Tree with 13 lanterns hanging from it. A group photo infront of the Liberty Tree at night with the lanterns lit might be pretty nice.

Frog
04-01-2011, 10:32 AM
That is perfect! and exactly what I am looking for!! Thanks! (but I am going to need lots more! Please keep em coming!!)

JPL
04-01-2011, 10:34 AM
American Adventure in Epcot they have a display called American Treasures that has historical artifacts.

Spaceship Eath has some historic US Scenes

Main Street UAS is a Turn of the Century American Town.

The Steam Trains are also a piece of history

wdwfansince75
04-01-2011, 10:43 AM
The American Adventure has several great photo spots, both indoors and out...Just caution them that no flash photography can be taken during the actual show...digital cameras can take great pictures without flash, so prep them by tasking specific students with specific scenes...
The same holds true for Hall of Presidents ...and there, the CM's usually do more policing of the flash activity.

You might also consider tasking them to find and photo varing styles of historic archetecture.

And, of course, all of the World Showcase has elements of the history of the nations...Lots of opportunities there...Make it a scavanger hunt.

Frog
04-01-2011, 11:06 AM
Good reminder about the flash photography policy... thank you!

biodtl
04-01-2011, 12:45 PM
Is it only American history, or history in general? because World Showcase is filled with opportunities.

BrerSchultzy
04-01-2011, 01:13 PM
Why not have them take pictures in Frontierland wearing the coonskin caps? And with some creativity, Disney Studios is classic American History, with all the tributes to old Hollywood. There's Port Orleans with the waterwheel.

But my favorite tributes to American History are in Liberty Square. Ask them to explain why all the shutters on the windows are leaning. Or why there's a brown pathway on the streets. Or if they can find the tribute to Paul Revere's lanterns.
And, of course, the Presidential seal in the Hall of Presidents is one of only two in the country (I think...there may be one more somewhere else).

magicalmom
04-01-2011, 05:34 PM
The stocks in Liberty Square -
Stern-wheeler
The artist who cuts silhouettes-
The carriage horses in the firehouse
The dapper dans
Fort Clemens -
For more recent history - the partners statue?

Fun idea!

kemps@wdw
04-01-2011, 10:55 PM
videography presentation of the Hall of Presidents beginning with the exterior...the Liberty Tree with the 13 lanterns, the lanterns in the windows, the stocks, and the overall theming of the area, and continuing with the show itself. Or The American Aventure, exterior as well, and moving inside. Most certainly, the "Voices of LIberty", the rotunda area (acoustically perfect, try it), and thru the Hall of Flags, into the theater and capturing the statues representing the "Spirits of America" and the American Adventure. The song of the two civil war brothers is very moving, and if the ending song and accompanying video doesn't bring a nostalgic tear to your eye...then nothing will!:thumbsup: I hve full video of both and watch them often. But, be careful not to disturb others with video lighting/screen. (or let the CMs see you) You may have to go old school and use the ...dare I say...eye piece viewer!

ransam
04-02-2011, 03:01 AM
i think as you walk down mainsteet, the street lights change as you move closer up to the castle, and they change generations.

also the shutters in liberty square are attached w/ rope, because ther ewas no latches in the 17th century...

awesome idea.

PlutoToo
04-02-2011, 11:32 AM
How about the replica Oscar for Snow White and the Seven Dwarves? I believe it's the only time a big Oscar was awarded with 7 accompanying little Oscars. It's as you exit the Animation Studios.

BandMan
04-02-2011, 06:28 PM
The Hall of Presidents not only has some amazing reproductions of presidents' official portraits (Kennedy's is particularly striking), they have some actual presidential artifacts. It is also one of only three places allowed to use the Great Seal of the United States. (It's in the carpet.) The other are Carpenter's Hall in Philadelphia and, of course, the White House. Also, the number over the entrance door is 1787 - the year the constitution was ratified, creating the office of president.

The fife and drum corps outside the American pavilion is terrific, and a good tie-in if they are band members. :flute: :drum:

Voices of Liberty inside the rotunda sing Americana songs - another good bridge between history and music. :sing:

The four locomotives of the Walt Disney World Railroad are narrow-gauge locomotives, built between 1916 and 1928 by the Baldwin Locomotive Works of Philadelphia. (However, they have been modified cosmetically to resemble trains from a slightly earlier era.)
:train:

Frog
04-03-2011, 06:15 PM
So I gathered your ideas, intercotees and put them together in a scavanger hunt type activity...
It is listed in the Misc section of this board for those who are interested in the rough draft of the product. Thank you all soo much for your imput!!!! And next week if you see some "Unicorns" (our mascot) running around taking pictures, say "howdy"!

PirateLover
04-03-2011, 09:14 PM
The song of the two civil war brothers is very moving, and if the ending song and accompanying video doesn't bring a nostalgic tear to your eye...then nothing will!:thumbsup:
I am a History teacher and I use a version of this song during my unit on the Civil War. My favorite line is "A cannonball don't pay no mind if you're gentle or if you're kind"
Chills.

The Hall of Presidents not only has some amazing reproductions of presidents' official portraits (Kennedy's is particularly striking), they have some actual presidential artifacts.
YES! This was going to be my suggestion. Love the portraits and the captions under them. Very interesting.

The four locomotives of the Walt Disney World Railroad are narrow-gauge locomotives, built between 1916 and 1928 by the Baldwin Locomotive Works of Philadelphia.
:train:
Wow. Thank you for that tidbit. I'm currently doing an oral history on my grandfather and he mentioned that his father worked for Baldwin Locomotive Works. Even though I'm a native Philadelphian I wasn't really familiar with the company and have just begun researching it. What a neat fact. My great-grandfather may have worked on one of those trains!