PDA

View Full Version : Storms across Florida

BellesRose
03-31-2011, 12:20 PM
BAD storms all across Florida today. We had tornadoes in our area and I am hearing of quite a bit of damage but thankfully no injuries so far. Since the news is basically focusing only on us and our area, I was wondering how Orlando is doing? Can anyone there update on any damage to Disney?

vicster
03-31-2011, 12:34 PM
Where are you in FL?

BellesRose
03-31-2011, 12:54 PM
Near Indian Rocks beach. The tornado came right on shore from there and apparently there is a lot of damage in the area. My dad said there are motorcycles, furniture, etc...in the streets and stuff (He works on the beach) and when he was driving over a bridge, there was a wind gust and his truck went all the way across the lane and almost hit the side (He was going 10 mph).

Planes have overturned at the St. Pete/Clearwater airport. A semi overturned onto a car. A building collapsed and 70 people are trapped inside.
Unfortunately I am now hearing of injuries, but I'm not sure how severe yet.

They finally mentioned Orlando and how the storms are moving in there so if you are there and haven't had it bad yet, be prepared and stay off the roads. I will update if they mention Orlando again.

Ed
03-31-2011, 01:05 PM
We're just south of Orlando airport; it's been raining off and on all morning, and there have been tornados reported southeast of us, toward Holopaw. It appears the WDW area is getting mostly heavy rain, thunder and lightning, and some fairly heavy wind, but I haven't seen any damage reports from that area. Appears to be lots of damage northeast of here, up toward Volusia county. All the local TV channels are doing non-stop weather related reporting.

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-31-2011, 01:07 PM
I just checked the forcast, and they are reporting

"Tornado Near Forever, FL Heading Toward I-95
We've been tracking a likely rain-wrapped tornado from Indian Shores to Forever, FL. Damage has been reported all along this stretch. The tornado has crossed over the turnpike and heading toward I-95 near June Park and eventually Melbourne. Damaging, destructive winds are likely. There are active tornado warnings across central Florida including the I-4 corridor from Tampa to Orlando. The tornado threat continues through this afternoon"

Sounds like it is going to be a rough weather day ... stay safe everyone!

Ed
03-31-2011, 04:03 PM
Still a pretty heavy band of rain moving southwest to northeast extending mostly from Palm Bay north to Daytona Beach.

Some pretty bad damage in Lakeland (about halfway between WDW and Tampa) at the site of one of the area's most popular air shows. Several people injured when a tent collapsed, and this kind of damage.

Melanie
03-31-2011, 04:08 PM
It's been a CRAZY day! I work at an elementary school, and I'm mentally exhausted. I just can't understand parents who come to the school in the middle of a severe weather outbreak to check out their kids. There was a tornado spotted about a mile from our house/school. :crazy:

At one point today, I walked into the back part of our office (with no windows) and came back out front 5 minutes later and it was pitch dark. Most bizarre thing ever! There is a lot of damage in the area, turned over 18 wheelers, fruit stands obliterated, etc.

And it's not over yet! I'll have some :wine: please!

Dsnygirl
03-31-2011, 04:30 PM
Sending :pixie: :pixie: and prayers to everyone that is dealing with these crazy storms today... I hope everyone is able to stay safe!! :hide2:

murphy1
03-31-2011, 05:17 PM
Pinellas is getting it bad, everyone back home keeps talking about it on Facebook. Wow Ed, that pic is crazy! Anyone know about Cocoa Bch area? My grandma is over there, and I hope she is okay.

disneydeb
03-31-2011, 05:24 PM
Sending safe in the storm pixie dust to all my Floridian friends today!

Stay in your safe place until all is clear!

WDWfanatic742
03-31-2011, 05:48 PM
Sounds like we'll probably get it tonight then. It hasn't been too bad down here, just some heavy gusts so far...

Stitchahula
03-31-2011, 05:53 PM
wow, sounds pretty scary down there. I hope everyone is ok and stays safe.

Itchy
03-31-2011, 06:12 PM
Wow! sounds like Missouri weather. We have already had our share of tornados and other severe weather this year.

Hope everything does not get to severe and few injuries.

Please heed any warnings as they can save your life.

Ed
03-31-2011, 07:38 PM
Sounds like we'll probably get it tonight then. It hasn't been too bad down here, just some heavy gusts so far...

Maybe not. All the radar images I'm seeing show the storm line coming in from the Gulf around the area between Tampa and Sarasota, and traveling northeast, exiting between the Vero Beach area and Titusville.

WDWfanatic742
03-31-2011, 08:02 PM
Maybe not. All the radar images I'm seeing show the storm line coming in from the Gulf around the area between Tampa and Sarasota, and traveling northeast, exiting between the Vero Beach area and Titusville.

I didn't bother looking at the weather forecast cause I just thought that we'd get it since we've had heavy rain the last few days after having no rain at all in like three or four months. Good news :thumbsup:. We'll just get a different band of thunderstorms tomorrow... :D

BellesRose
03-31-2011, 09:07 PM
It's been raining off and on now, but at least most of the wind has died down. It's crazy because I've only seen one tornado in Pinellas County (I've lived here my whole life) and it was so small that I'm not sure it would even count for most people. I guess didn't even realize we could get tornadoes. When you hear about Florida storms, you automatically think of hurricanes. It's been a crazy day.

Hope all the other Floridians here are doing ok! I know there was 70,000-80,000 without power today :-o Amazingly enough, I didn't lose power, so I spent the day converting old videos of Disney tv shows and specials to DVD.

Ed
03-31-2011, 09:40 PM
Looks like most of it has gone out over the ocean, and the remainder has creeped a bit south, from Melbourne down to the Fort Pierce area. Should be pretty much history in the next few hours.

We never lost power, but my poor dog still hasn't recovered from all the thunder. He's a devout coward when it comes to thunderstorms.

:dog:

Hammer
04-01-2011, 12:10 AM
Spoke with my Mom this evening about the weather down there today. She lives in South Tampa, but we still own a condo in Clearwater not far from the St. Pete/Clearwater airport. She called the family who is renting the condo and they said everything is fine, just a few palm fronds on the golf course, though the renters keep checking that the water hazard does not start coming into the lanai!

Melanie
04-01-2011, 07:03 AM
We never lost power, but my poor dog still hasn't recovered from all the thunder. He's a devout coward when it comes to thunderstorms.

:dog:

Poor thing! I bet he had a day yesterday for sure. He'll probably sleep all day today to recover!

WDWfanatic742
04-01-2011, 07:42 AM
Poor thing! I bet he had a day yesterday for sure. He'll probably sleep all day today to recover!

Only if it doesn't happen today. Cause storms in Florida NEVER happen two days in a row... :D

We always seem to get that one month in the spring/summer where every day at 2 it starts thundering and pouring down rain until 6. You can set your watch by it...

BellesRose
04-01-2011, 09:18 PM
Today was nice and sunny but there was definitely evidence of a storm all over.

Melanie
04-01-2011, 09:28 PM
Today was nice and sunny but there was definitely evidence of a storm all over.

Yes, that's for sure! We still have folks around here without electricity.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-02-2011, 11:59 AM
I'm beginning to think this is my bosses fault. When he was flying to Tahiti & Bora Bora, they had the earthquake & tsunami in that area, right before he landed. They weren't affected that far down, thank goodness.
And he was flying to Orlando yesterday and they had all the wacky weather. Coincidence? I don't want to have to travel anywhere with him.

I hope everyone is safe and sound and have power back

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-02-2011, 12:28 PM
Coincidence? I don't want to have to travel anywhere with him.

I agree ... separate planes the whole way.

I am glad things are returning to normal. I always find the first day or so after a big storm is the worst, as you actually start to see all of the damage that was caused.