PDA

View Full Version : Swan vs Dolphin?

Joannelet
03-30-2011, 10:27 AM
We are planning a family reunion in October. I was wondering before booking if there is a difference between the two sides of the hotel. Is Swan better than the Dolphin? or does it matter? Are the pools located near each etc? Restaurants in each one? I have only been inside once and I don't really remember it too well. I have never stayed there before. I have stayed at Boardwalk and Beach Club and LOVE that area.....
I would appreciate any feedback.
It will be 8 adults and 4 children ages 7, 6, 2 and 1.
Also, if the free dining plan is offered during that time does this hotel participate in it?

Scar
03-30-2011, 10:33 AM
I've only stayed at The Dolphin (3x) and it is a great hotel. The pools are located between the two hotels, and there are at least 3 restaurants in each.

MOJoe
03-30-2011, 11:06 AM
I've stayed in both hotels. I slightly prefer the Dolphin for a couple of reasons. Both hotels have a lap pool, but the grotto pool is closer to the Dolphin. For quick bites and morning coffee, there is Picabu, a 24 hour cafeteria/market, located in the Dolphin. For evening cocktails, Bluezoo, in the Dolphin is great. However, if kareoke is your thing, the Swan has Kimonos.
Also, in favor of the Swan, the queen beds there seem better. And you are a few steps closer to the Boardwalk. That is if you walk. The Swan is a smaller hotel, and feels cozy compared to the "convention" vibe of the Dolphin. For that reason, my family likes the Swan better. But for me, the ammenities at the Dolphin makes it a better choice.

Mogie
03-30-2011, 11:15 AM
Ive stayed at both.
As far as price goes, it seems like they often swap in terms of which hotel is cheaper. Probably has to do with the season, and if there are any conventions going on.
Dolphin is a larger hotel than the Swan because of the Convention Halls. I think that is the only real benefit of the Swan. You might be staying at the Dolphin sometime when there is a convention and there will be hundreds of people walking around the lobby, jamming up the restaurants etc.
The pool is shared by both hotels.
The Dolphin has a few more choices for food.
And I think the Mediterranean Market in the Dolphin has a better breakfast buffet than the Grotto in the Swan.
Rooms are identical in design and amenities.

jnfr2424
03-30-2011, 12:56 PM
Also, if the free dining plan is offered during that time does this hotel participate in it?

Being that these are Starwood Hotels on Disney property The Swan and The Dolphin do not participate in the Dining plan nor do they participate in Magical Express from the airport

Joannelet
03-30-2011, 01:31 PM
Being that these are Starwood Hotels on Disney property The Swan and The Dolphin do not participate in the Dining plan nor do they participate in Magical Express from the airport

I forgot about magical express. Thanks! I won't fly...I know my sis and I are driving but I know that my parents/other sister and brother are flying...so thanks for this info! :)
I have eaten at Kimonos and if I remember correctly I was able to use my DVC discount there...they took it then when my son was 7 months old. I wonder if that is still a perk.....I will have to look into that.
I'm not using my DVC points for this trip though hence why we are staying at Swan and Dolphin with the entire fam.
I appreciate all the info about the 2 hotels! Right now the Dolphin for that time frame is a tad cheaper than the Swan...Not sure if that means there is a convention or not....
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the feedback! :)

BugeyedMuggy
03-30-2011, 04:34 PM
We have always stayed at the Dolphin. We get a better rate and get points for free rooms or upgrades that are not available to us thru the Swan. You are able to use any of the amenities at either hotel and they are a small walk from one another. The food court is open 24 hrs at the Dolphin. They both have "Heavenly Beds" that are so amazing we purchaced one for our home:cloud9:

Joannelet
03-31-2011, 10:15 PM
Thanks! I had heard about their beds. We chose the dolphin! Thanks for the info! Cannot wait!

mickeys_princess_mom
03-31-2011, 11:19 PM
You'll love it! We're headed there again in May! Can't wait---such a relaxed, luxurious feel! :cloud9:

RedSoxFan
04-02-2011, 09:39 PM
We are considering the Swan for November. I like queen beds. Looks like a gorgeous hotel.:mickey:

Joannelet
04-03-2011, 10:22 AM
You'll love it! We're headed there again in May! Can't wait---such a relaxed, luxurious feel! :cloud9:

Thanks! We are leaving Disney May 12th...staying at AKL this time :) So we you will be coming as we are going :( Then Dolphin in October. This is the first time planning my 2nd trip before my 1st trip even begins!! :)
Have a wonderful time in May!!!

timberho
04-03-2011, 11:24 AM
We have stayed at both and prefer the Dolphin. Both have their plusses and it really depends what you're looking for. The Dolphin is the grander hotel, huge lobby with a lot of action going on compared to the Swan. The Swan is much quieter and also a bit more spread out.

At the Dolphin you are a bit closer to the big pool, and you also have the picabu market downstairs which has the coffee mugs you buy for free refils ect... The beds at both are pretty nice, but the Swan is a Westin owned and the Dolphin is Sheraton, so the Swan does have bigger beds. Swan has 2 queen beds vs the Dolphin with 2 full sized beds.

We liked being at the hotel with more action going on, the Dolphin is def. that. We also liked having the 24 hour market downstairs so we could grab coffee real quick in the mornings and drinks during lunch/after park returns. The only drawback was the bed size, and we dealt with that just fine. Hope you have fun, the location is 2nd to none!

RedSoxFan
04-03-2011, 12:52 PM
Does the Swan have the refillable mugs?

Scar
04-03-2011, 01:23 PM
Does the Swan have the refillable mugs?I don't think so. I could be wrong, but I don't recall seeing people lugging them around like I see at Disney resorts.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-03-2011, 08:55 PM
d The beds at both are pretty nice, but the Swan is a Westin owned and the Dolphin is Sheraton.

They are actually franchises. They are owned by Tishman and managed by Starwood Lodging.

You can use the facilities at either hotel when you stay at one.

And I don't think the Swan has refillable mugs but you can get it at the Dolphin even if you are staying at the Swan and refill it at Picabu.

And both resorts have the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in anywhere.

I prefer the Dolphin because the Grotto pool is closer and Picabu is a definite perk for when you come back to the hotel late at night and you are starving.

mickeys_princess_mom
04-07-2011, 11:01 PM
Thanks! We are leaving Disney May 12th...staying at AKL this time :) So we you will be coming as we are going :( Then Dolphin in October. This is the first time planning my 2nd trip before my 1st trip even begins!! :)
Have a wonderful time in May!!!

Lol. I'm actually doing that, too. DH surprised me by saying we should plan to go in early fall, to "celebrate my retirement" again....;) Sure!
48 days till the first trip!!! I'm ready! :wave:
I really enjoyed AKL, too. Haven't ruled that out if we can get it in September.

RedSoxFan
04-08-2011, 02:34 PM
I just booked 2 rooms at The Swan through MJ for Thanksgiving Week. I'm looking forward to it and got great rates too!!

jnfr2424
04-08-2011, 03:13 PM
I just booked 2 rooms at The Swan through MJ for Thanksgiving Week. I'm looking forward to it and got great rates too!!

Enjoy we will be right across the causeway staying at the Dolphin!

RedSoxFan
04-08-2011, 03:22 PM
Enjoy we will be right across the causeway staying at the Dolphin!

Funny --- DD14 wanted to stay at The Dolphin; but DH wanted the queen beds so that is why we are at the Swan.