PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to eat healthy at Disney World?

Luv4WDW
03-29-2011, 01:55 PM
I am a very healthy eater and am worried about going out to eat so much. I actually get sick from food that's bad for you. We will be eating at Crystal Palace, San Angell Inn, Le Celier, Sci Fi, Tusker House and the Grand Floridian Cafe... all for lunch. Does anybody have any experience or advice in this area? Thanks! Just over a month to go! :cloud9:

faline
03-29-2011, 02:13 PM
All the parks have fruit available for sale at various stands throughout the parks. If you're dining at a buffet, they also have a variety of fruits, salads and other foods that woudl help you continue to eat healthily. Restaurants at Disney are equipped to handle a number of special requests - anything from those with diabetes to those who need a gluten free diet so I'm sure you'd be able to have healthy choices as well!

CleveRocks
03-29-2011, 02:45 PM
During one of our trips, my wife and I were in the midst of training for our first ever half-marathon (and knocking on age 40, no less). We weren't about to assault our bodies with fried foods and high-fat burgers and so on.

It is absolutely, definitely possible to eat healthy and yummy food at WDW. But you do have to look for it, it won't jump out and bite you. Actually, I see you're asking about table-service restaurants, and it should be down-right easy at all of them. My wife and I ate mostly counter-service meals, and even there, you are not limited to chicken fingers and cheeseburgers.

Here is a link to the Quick Service menus on both Intercot (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/menus/default.asp) and the Disney website (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/listing/?sortBy=nG:hasDiningExperienceFacet&fv_222817=on).

As you can see, you can get pretty much whatever you want. Your biggest challenge on your list might be the buffet at Crystal Palace. But even there, you can still do pretty well as long as you make good decisions.

You can do it!

In my dreams
04-02-2011, 05:39 PM
If you're not restricting yourself ( like no carbs etc) I think it's achieveable
Breakfast is the easiest- fruit and yogurt are available at all the resort quick serve dining.
For lunch, I found alot of places offer wraps ( can always leave out any "dressing") and salads.
I usually got fruit and/or water bottle for a snack.
And dinner- order what you like
you know what best for you

stay away from all the tempting desserts- they are everywhere:mickey: personally I have to indulge in a few, I'm on vacation after all!

mouseketeer mom
04-03-2011, 08:26 AM
I completely know how you feel. I am extremely devoted to healthy diet and to exercise, and even though I go into our trip in excellent shape, I don't want to come home feeling like a porker, bloated and 10 lbs heavier. Sounds like you know how to choose healthy foods, for me, and maybe for you, the trouble comes with the sheer volume of food we get when we eat out at WDW, or anyplace for a whole week or so. I mean, when I eat at home, its all whole grain, low fat, low salt foods, and I never stuff myself. Plus, I'm running daily too. So handing the control over to the restaurants instead of myself for preparing and portioning the food is tricky. Its never going to be as healthy as eating as home. And temptation is everywhere. This will sound somewhat crazy, but I leave in 3 wks, and in the process of dropping 5 lbs, just so I have some leeway on the trip for eating/gaining weight since I know it will be tricky to control. I am at a great weight now, but I want the wiggle room. I wish you luck, wish me luck, and may we come home feeling healthy and good!!!

Jared
04-03-2011, 11:15 AM
It's definitely possible to eat healthy at Disney with a little creativity and a lot of willpower. Every restaurant offers healthier items, but you may need to make prudent substitutions and omissions to receive the full value. Frankly, eating out at Disney shouldn't be too different than eating out in your hometown. Keep sauces and dressings to a minimum, avoid fried foods and stick with basic grilled meats and fish with a side of plain vegetables.

And just think -- with the amount you'll be walking on the trip, it won't be too hard to burn off any excess calories!

MinnieMommie
04-03-2011, 03:57 PM
I think it is not hard to find healthy options while dining at Disney but it may be hard to garner the willpower to make those selections only. Disney Dining offers a wide selection of options in all categories of foods. Sounds like you know what you like and how eating certain ways can make you feel.

Check out the menus of the places you have selected so you can get a good idea ahead of time what to order. Seeing the menus may put your mind at ease. If you have any dietary preferences you can make a request.

If you are not a big eater and don't like to go out to eat all the time you might want to consider bringing some things you like that are healthy. This is something I do as eating out too much is something that in general does not agree with me.

Enjoy your trip and dining! :mickey:

ElenitaB
04-03-2011, 06:46 PM
I'd dare to say that there are healthy options at almost every restaurant (with obvious exceptions), and if you don't see what you like, you can always ask for a modification (sauce on the side, for example). As for the portion size, you can always go with an appetizer or two instead of an appetizer and entree.

magicalmom
04-03-2011, 07:29 PM
Portions can be large, but sharing allows you to eat some of the richer food without eating out of control. We always share, none of the TS restaurants seem to think twice about it. They've always been very nice, and often actually divide the meal up for us onto two different plates (preventing arguments :mickey:)

Patricia
04-03-2011, 08:21 PM
I'm another one who shares meals in WDW. Never had a problem, they are always accommodating. I have even ordered kids meals when it's the better choice. As with any restaurant, you can't be sure what was in the product before they got it.. but try to get as simple a meal as possible to avoid feeling ill.

Last trip we stayed at Wilderness Lodge and had a car. So, we shopped for pre-cooked whole chickens & shrimp, lean deli meats, bagged salads, cereal, yogurt, fruit, milk and bread and managed to eat most breakfasts and dinners in our room. No cooking was required, it was all straight out of the mini fridge.

jonahbear2006
04-05-2011, 03:32 PM
As weird as this sounds, Id stick to buffets as much as possible. It will allow for you to eat healthy if you choose to. There are so many fruits, veggies, and salads on their buffets at disney world. Chef mickeys has a very large area of their breakfast buffet that is hard boiled eggs, fruits, veggies, and salad. The next best thing would be signature. They serve in more of a gourmet style so you get smaller amounts of food but more filling and prepared better. You will also have the options there to eat more garden fresh and market fresh foods. I will recommend Boardwalk Bakery as the best place to get a salad! They have amazing salads! I think it's a wonderful place to eat healthy but I also think it is the hardest place to be because there are sooo many wonderful options! gotta have a very strong will power!

#1donaldfan
04-06-2011, 11:57 AM
.....if I were to ever eat healthy, I'd never attempt it on vacation....cut loose and have fun !!!:cool:

Ksmith75
04-07-2011, 12:05 PM
.......cut loose and have fun !!!:cool:

We came back from a trip in march (going again in 42 days!). I started weight watchers points plus in january and by the day we left, I had already lost 18.8 pounds. I didnt want to have to worry on vacation - so I ate what I wanted (I did do veggie burgers, turkey sandwiches and didnt eat many fries). I did also ate lots of snacks (i love those mickey crispy treats) - everything from pretzels, ice cream, frozen bananas, caramel, chocolat mousse....

I really ate what I wanted. I weighed myself when we got back (dredding it) and I only gained .9 of a pound (only 9/10's of a pound, not even a whole pound). All the walking you do really helps burn it off...
enjoy!

mudpuppysmom
04-07-2011, 12:45 PM
First, I'll say that we have gone before and my older son went an entire week without a [GASP!]chicken nugget/tender, or french fries, but we do that here at home too. Now that we have DS#2 on board too, we have more "issues" feeding him b/c he has intolerance/allergies to dairy, soy and meat!

One place that was good for him was Crystal Palace....though we ate b-fast there. There was something for everyone and everyone was full when we left the restaurant. Another place that was good for us was Tusker House -- again DS#2 is our "problem". He ate fruit, whole grain bread, hummus and some of a few of the salads. We also take granola bars and water with us in our backpack for snacks for the kids.

I think as lots of others have said, if you avoid sauces, gravies and dressings you will be fine. The only place I can see being tough is San Angel, I don't recall it being very health friendly, but then again it's kinda dark in there and we had a terrible meal there. Sci Fi I can't remember, but I want to say a salad might be your best bet there.

The only place we have not eaten at that is on your list is Grand Flo Cafe.....I always forget about that place!

Go in prepared and you'll be fine! Have a happy trip!

Janmac
04-07-2011, 11:37 PM
Perhaps I don't understand what eating healthy is but it seems to me to be easier to eat what I consider healthy at Disney than at home. The buffets are great because of all that fruit and veggie choices which aren't that easy to keep around the house.

In restaurants I gravitate toward the fish choices. San Angel Inn used to be one of my favorite places to eat because of the Snapper Veracruzana. Grilled fish with onions, peppers, etc. Wonderful. Except this last trip in January 2010 when the fish didn't really resemble a filet and the veggies were overcooked. :(

Granted, it helps not to like sauces and gravies at all. Or most starchy foods. Or fried foods. Or cakes or pies. :blush:

Cutting loose and having fun works anyway, because there's all that fresh fruits/veggies and seafood. :thumbsup:

Jan

mouseketeer mom
04-08-2011, 11:13 AM
What I dislike most about eating out the whole week or so we're there is all the sodium in the food. I think I react to that more than anything. I use very little if any, salt at home, and I feel like I instantly blow up like a deer tick the minute I start eating out!!

#1donaldfan
04-08-2011, 12:10 PM
What I dislike most about eating out the whole week or so we're there is all the sodium in the food. I think I react to that more than anything. I use very little if any, salt at home, and I feel like I instantly blow up like a deer tick the minute I start eating out!!

During the very hot summer days at Disney, it's a good idea to ensure you eat more salt, your sweating it off anyway, plus it helps retain a bit of water .... you don't want to dehydrate !!:mickey:

EJS-Houston
04-11-2011, 05:39 PM
I am a very healthy eater and am worried about going out to eat so much. I actually get sick from food that's bad for you. We will be eating at Crystal Palace, San Angell Inn, Le Celier, Sci Fi, Tusker House and the Grand Floridian Cafe... all for lunch. Does anybody have any experience or advice in this area? Thanks! Just over a month to go! :cloud9:

I love the Sci-Fi Drive-In Diner, but being a diner it's not haven for healthy food. There are plenty of counter-service lunch places throughout Walt Disney World, though...and while when i first went there healthy food was few and far between...now, most of them have veggie burgers, fresh fruit ( and really GOOD fresh fruit at that) and vegetables. It's MUCH easier to eat healthy food throughout WDW now.