PDA

View Full Version : Mission Space-Green

DisneyMomx2
03-29-2011, 10:29 AM
So I am NOT a thrill ride person but I try to attempt something new everytime we go to WDW. I promised DH I would try Mission Space-Green this time but I am still a bit nervous. If I can handle Star Tours, do you think this would be ok? Thanks!!

Ms. Mode
03-29-2011, 11:09 AM
Of course I haven't been on the "new" Star Tours yet...but...Mission Space is NOTHING like Star Tours!

I can't remember which is the "light" version of MS (green or orange) but from what you have said, go for the "light" version. :)

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-29-2011, 11:19 AM
Is it okay for someone who doesn't like heights?

btharvey
03-29-2011, 11:29 AM
Heights aren't involved. It's more like claustrophpbia worries. As previously said, take the 'light' version. We rode it prior to the light version existing, and while I loved it, my DW was ill for about 45 minutes afterward (lay down on a bench outside), and my DD was not happy.

It is basically that carnival ride where you stand up (you're seated, here), and it spins fast enough so that when the bottom drops away from your feet, you stay in place from centripetal force. Only in Mission Space, you can't see the mechanism -- you only see your display and controls in front of you (that are spinning with you therefore look stable) and (barely) those of your crew (seat is very close to display/controls, hence the claustrophobic sensations).

It produces the 'G' forces that are pretty real, according to astronauts who've taken the ride. But it does so by 'spinning,' which only your inner ear may detect, and because your (and my DW's) inner ear may detect it, if it does, your equilibrium will be _totally_ out of whack.

... I loved it, though. My inner ear is pretty dim. ;)

Victor Kelly
03-29-2011, 11:37 AM
Green= lite
Orange= full spinning version

#1donaldfan
03-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Your fine with green !!! Just like old star tours !!

waymickey
03-29-2011, 11:45 AM
I did this once and will never do it again. It made me sick the entire day. Not a little sick really sick. :ill:
The ride itself is no big deal ,no heights. You sit in very tight quarters and it spins like nuts. You don't know you are spinning till you step off . thats when most people get sick if they haven't already used the barf bag that is right in front of each seat. :ack:

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-29-2011, 11:47 AM
I did this once and will never do it again. It made me sick the entire day. Not a little sick really sick. :ill:
The ride itself is no big deal ,no heights. You sit in very tight quarters and it spins like nuts. You don't know you are spinning till you step off . thats when most people get sick if they haven't already used the barf bag that is right in front of each seat. :ack:

Did you do orange or green?

whitney37354
03-29-2011, 12:50 PM
DH, DD (age 5), & I did the green (lite) version of MS last June. There was no spinning & we had no issues. I had prepared myself for the worst (DH gets carsick) and walked away kind of disappointed in the whole experience. DD just thought it was a cool ride like all the others. The only issue I see with the green version is clostrophbia. It would be a tight fit for four adults. It'd say it was pretty much the same as Star Tours. Not too much motion.

clausjo
03-29-2011, 01:05 PM
My sister is very clostrophbic and was worried about it but we did the easy version without any trouble. I don't think there's any spinning on the easy one - which is why I do it. Go, it's fun!

Mogie
03-29-2011, 01:16 PM
Definitely stick with the easier version of the ride if you are not a Thrill Ride Person. The Intense side of Mission Space is definitely the Most Intense and Disorienting ride in Disney...maybe with the exception of Tower of Terror. I would even go on Rockin Roller Coaster way before either of these even though it is an upside down coaster. Rockin is very smooth and you cant even tell youre upside down when youre in the dark...You might want to try that if its on the list.

PETE FROM NYC
03-29-2011, 01:35 PM
I do not like thrill rides. Coasters , or anything with a drop bothers me. I do fine on simulator rides like Star Tours. I have done both versions of Mission:Space, and came out with no ill effects.

MissTink
03-29-2011, 02:34 PM
My experience was backwards... DNephew16 at the time insisted I go on the intense side the first time I rode it, honestly the warnings leading up to the ride posted every 2 feet definately made me nervous. I can't do tea cups or any other spinny rides but I was fine... very cool ride. Next trip down my DD7 and I went on the less intense one and she loved it so we usually stick with that side.

sommer
03-29-2011, 04:52 PM
I did both green & orange, and did fine with both of them. I didn't think the orange (?) was that much different than the green. I was really nervous after seeing/hearing all the warnings for it. I was more nervous to find my bag missing on the orange ride - figuring I'd need it after seeing so many warnings.:) It's definitely a fun ride, and one I wouldn't want to miss. No one in my party got sick on either.

lovinmesomedisney
03-29-2011, 05:04 PM
I did both and you will definitely not have a problem with the Green side. It is pretty mellow, but fun to get the whole space ship concept. I always take first time riders on the Green side first, and then if they like that and are feeling adventurous, we go to the Orange side. The first time I rode it, all they had was the Orange and my kids and husband liked it so much, we rode it three times, and it never bothered me. Another time, I rode it just once, and felt a little queezy.

MOJoe
03-29-2011, 05:14 PM
I rode the green version with my family and felt cheated. It seemed to be no more than a t.v. show in very close quarters. So i immediatly told everyone that i was going back for the Orange side.
I went in the single rider line and was grouped with 3 big, athletic men. When all the warnings on the video began, the big guys all got worried looks and headed for the exit, leaving me alone. Funny, as i am nearly half their size.
Anyway, the Orange side was way more intense. Trying to push the buttons with the heavy G-forces pushing back at you makes this a very realistic adventure, and a much better ride. I left feeling dizzy and somewhat disoriented. But also, satisfied. Even better, when i exited, the Dream Team was giving out Year of a Million Dream Mouse Ears. So i guess Orange is my lucky color. At least it was that day!

SuzieBell
03-29-2011, 06:05 PM
Always have done Orange! DS was 5 the first time and has loved it ever since. I'd swear it's not as intense as I thought it had been many years ago, but the older I get, it's harder to get on it - all those warning signs! My best advise if you do orange - keep your eyes and head straight ahead - don't look around! Good luck!

TinkerBell-Bell
03-29-2011, 07:06 PM
I've only ever been on the orange version (first time it was the only option available). I'm someone that generally speaking enjoys thrill rides, but does get motion sickness and some claustrophobia (although that's mainly in crowds).

However, saying that, I found I had little trouble with the ride. One time I will admit that I did feel mildly sick afterwards, but I also didn't feel 100% before, so that may have been a factor. Although I haven't ever ridden the green version, from what I gather it's pretty much the orange version without all the central spinning. If that's the case, then I would say that the green version is well worth the ride, especially if you enjoy rides/simulators but get sick easily.

Personally I find Star Tours more intense, although I don't know how the new version is. Last time I was in Florida I went on it twice. The first time made me feel sick enough to ask to take a flight test the next time :secret:

RBrooksC
03-30-2011, 07:32 AM
I have always done the Orange side. I can get very motion sick but I follow the instructions to the letter.

If I watched the screen and did no waver from that I did not feel the ride spinning. I felt like I was moving forward and the G-forces and then "weightless" feeling were incredible.

I will admit that the ride did throw me a curve ball when I exited the ride. I did need to sit down with a cold beverage and let my head settle for a moment. I wouldn't say it was because of the spinning because after I ride several roller coasters in a row I feel this way.

I think it was more how my body reacts to the amount of G-Forces exerted upon it.

Frog
03-30-2011, 10:21 AM
I have always wanted to do this ride, but did not want to spoil the rest of my day! Probably will try green first the next time we go...
In the opinion of those on Intercot with motion sickness issues, would taking a medication for sea sickness help if I wanted to try orange?

Joannelet
03-30-2011, 10:34 AM
honestly the warnings leading up to the ride posted every 2 feet definately made me nervous.

I have to agree on this!!! I think I was green BEFORE I even got on the ride. I wanted to book it right out of there with all those warnings! That is before they had the light version too!!!! So I had to ride the REAL deal.
I was a little naseous afterwards and had to get some soda and sit down for a bit. My brother also did get naseous. My sister did get really naseous from it. If I ever was to do it again I'd do the non spinning version of it. It is VERY tight either way so if you are claustorphobic this ride is NOT for you.
I just dont' think it's worth it for me to feel sick again so I haven't been on it since. I would maybe try the light version if I ever feel the need to go on again. Definitely no more spinning for me :)

CosmicRay
03-30-2011, 10:49 AM
i rode it a few times after it just came out, before the easier version, but I didn't experience any sickness. I hope you don't either, a good tip, go BEFORE you eat a big meal!

waymickey
03-30-2011, 10:54 AM
Did you do orange or green?

We went on it before there was an oragne or green. It was the original ride and I have never gone back. I ruined my whole day. DH was sick as welll all day. DD fine !

EJS-Houston
03-30-2011, 03:12 PM
I've done both orange and green. I loved orange, but it truly is very intense. I felt midly nauseated for a brief second or two the first time. The green version I felt was very analygous in intensity to Star Tours.

Frog
04-11-2011, 11:05 AM
wondering... couldnt you just close your eyes (like in a simulator) if you started to feel sick??

McLiberal8
04-11-2011, 11:23 AM
wondering... couldnt you just close your eyes (like in a simulator) if you started to feel sick??

The difference is that in a simulator, you are moving up and down, but not spinning.
In this attraction, you are moving up and down while spinning.
The attraction blows cool air on you to prevent motion sickness (think airplane air nozzle), and you have a double-paned screen in front of you to 'trick your brain' into following the story by using optical tricks, but closing your eyes or turning your head would only highten the sense of spinning.

Victor Kelly
04-11-2011, 12:28 PM
I understand that a lot of the sickness issues revolve around people not following directions like "always look ahead, do not turn you head". And those people deserve to get sick, ya didn't follow the rules plain and simple.

The people I really sympathise with are the people that do everything right and still get sick, even though they can stomach rollercoaters. It ruins their day, and I truely feel sorry for them. Heck with the right set of circumstances it could even affect my stomach.

wdwaggie
04-11-2011, 04:22 PM
Thanks for this post, I had no idea how this one worked and my DW is claustrophoboc, hates heights:ack: and definitely would only be able to do the Green version. I think I will do the green with her and then FP so that I can come back and do the orange version. :number1: 158 Days and counting.

McLiberal8
04-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Thanks for this post, I had no idea how this one worked and my DW is claustrophoboc, hates heights:ack: and definitely would only be able to do the Green version. I think I will do the green with her and then FP so that I can come back and do the orange version. :number1: 158 Days and counting.

Just a heads up - if anyone in your party is extremely claustrophobic, I wouldn't recommend they ride either version. You are in a very small pod with 3 other people. It seems kind of spacious when you first get into the pod, but they close the door and the front console actually ends up about a foot in front of you, if that. It is a VERY small space. Think space in a portapotty, but with a large harness on, and a lower ceiling :P

RBrooksC
04-14-2011, 07:55 AM
Just to give an idea on how you really don't get motion sick on this ride if you follow the rules. If I am sitting on airplane at the gate and the wind is buffeting the plane and making it sway, I will feel extremely motion sick and miserable.

I have not once yet had that reaction to Mission: Space with the several times I have been on it.

Since I know my propensity towards motion sickness, I follow the rules to the letter. Now, with that being said, I do feel a little woozy after the ride but no more than after I go to Hershey Park and ride all their roller coasters in a row.