PDA

View Full Version : Help w/WWoHP planning!

iheartdisney
03-28-2011, 02:36 PM
My daughter and I will be visiting WDW at the end of May. Apparently, there is more to the Orlando area than just Disney World. While I'm perfectly happy never leaving WDW my daughter wants to go to Universal to see Wizarding World of Harry Potter. I have no idea how to best plan this excursion. Please help!

Our reservations at WDW are from a Saturday to the following Sunday (eight nights). We can arrive in the Orlando area by Friday evening.

Should we.......

1. Pay the 80+ per ticket and go to WWoHP first thing in the morning on Saturday?
2. Pay the extra to stay in a Universal resort Friday night to have the fast-pass-equivalent advantage and early entry?
3. Take a weekday out of our WDW visit to go to Universal to better avoid the crowds?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. She's not terribly interested in the rest of Universal - just Harry Potter stuff. Me? I'll just be tagging along to savor her enjoyment. I'm a little nervous about handling Forbidden Journey so calming my fears would be appreciated as well.

Thanks! :mickey:

IloveJack
03-28-2011, 02:53 PM
If she's only interested in HP, and you're only along for the ride, then I don't think a stay in a US hotel just to get a FP (or whatever they call it). It's not valid on Forbidden Journey, so if that's all you're planning to do, it's not worth the money.
Also, we went in October, and while that's been a while, the crowds were almost unmanageable then. Late May will probably have worse crowds, due to summer vacation beginning. I would suggest not going on the weekend. If it's "taking a day from WDW," then could you add Friday to WDW, and go on a weekday?
And as for Forbidden Journey itself... you really should face your fears and ride it. It's an amazing experience. My DH rode it three times in a row, and then again later that afternoon, when we were there. It's an awesome ride! It's not jerky and doesn't go upside down. However, if you have motion sickness, it'll probably get to you. I was pregnant (found out 2 days before our ride), and rode. I was never worried for the baby, as it's "calm enough," but I was a little green afterwards.
If you want to read our trip report of the day there, it's here: http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=176169&highlight=mickey%2C+magic%2C+muggles
It might clear up some things about it. My biggest piece of advice to anyone going to WWoHP is take a lot of money. Everything there is super-expensive! I thought Disney prices were high, but this was ridiculous! We didn't buy a lot of souvenirs, just due to the prices. Also, if you're dying to try butterbeer, go into the Three Broomsticks or the Hog's Head Tavern and order it. The lines are much shorter, and the drink is much cheaper (but the same amount).
Whatever you plan, I hope you have fun!

buzznwoodysmom
03-29-2011, 03:46 PM
We've been twice now. We were there on a Saturday at the very end of Oct., and again on a Wednesday in March. We found the Wednesday in March to be less crowded. I don't know if that has to do with the time of the year, or the day of the week. I don't think I'd spend a night in Universal just to get front of the line pass. Its not available to be used for Forbidden Journey. We were able to ride everything we wanted in the park both times without it. Our plan on both trips was to get to the park about 30 minutes prior to park opening and head straight to Wizarding World of Harry Potter. We were able to do everything in WWOHP by lunch time on both trips. We did Forbidden Journey, Flight of the Hippogrif (sp????), and dueling dragons, go through all the shops, and eat lunch at Three Broomsticks before noon. We did not try to see the show in the wand shop, the line was way too long everytime we passed it. After lunch we headed to the rest of the park to do what appealed to us. In Oct. we ended up going back to WWOHP to ride Forbidden Journey and Flight of Hippogrif again. Forget about going into the stores in the afternoon. On both trips there were lines as long as the attractions to get into the shops in the afternoon. On both trips we were satisfied and leaving the park around 4pm, hours before the parks close. Of course we didn't feel the need to do every single attraction in the park, but we did the major rides and almost everything in WWOHP. Just be prepared to walk, and walk, and walk. The parking garage is a long walk to the park and Potter Land is all the way to the back of the park. We thought we'd never get there. If your daughter is a HP fan, then I think its very much worth it. This was by far the most expensive day on both trips, but was the highlight of the trips for my two sons, who are huge HP fans. They couldn't get enough of it. I think WWOHP will be a permanent fixture for us on future trips to WDW.